• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

BearPawB

Banned
The weapons breaking is such a minor thing in that game. I always had a ton of good weapons. All it does is force you to try a lot of weapons.

It's annoying for the first few hours. But at some point I always had 10 or so 20 + damage weapons and never came close to running out, or not finding good weapons constantly

And there is some really cool stuff you can get from monster parts from a
secret vendor
that makes combat pretty valuable if you want to get some of that cool stuff

Every time I fought a guy and a weapon broke a weapon of the same caliber or better would drop from that mob

Megasoum

Banned
The weapons breaking is such a minor thing in that game. I always had a ton of good weapons. All it does is force you to try a lot of weapons.

It's annoying for the first few hours. But at some point I always had 10 or so 20 + damage weapons and never came close to running out, or not finding good weapons constantly

secret vendor

Every time I fought a guy and a weapon broke a weapon of the same caliber or better would drop from that mob

Yeah I agree for the trash "common" weapons but you should get legendary weapons that don'T break (even if they had other drawbacks)

Megasoum

Banned
you do, sort of

Well the quicklook kinda told me about the Master Sword but if I remember it doesn't look like it's super powerful? Also I just got my first hint about it existing in the world (I mean... In game, I obviously knows it's in the game).

secret vendor

It's not really a problem once you unlock extra inventory space, but that requires hunting down collectibles.

Well the quicklook kinda told me about the Master Sword but if I remember it doesn't look like it's super powerful? Also I just got my first hint about it existing in the world (I mean... In game, I obviously knows it's in the game).
It's a 30 damage weapon that powers up against bosses.

Curufinwe

Man glad Greg condemned Colin's "joke" but I still will avoid kf

I love giant bomb.

I think a lot of developers and other media sites are finally realizing that he's making KF toxic and it's a good idea not to associate with a brand that's seemingly going after the gamergate crowd.

BearPawB

Banned

its very powerful in certain areas, and a very powerful for a onehander no matter what. Either way it's nice to have a weapon you know will always be there. There is also a non breaking shield

Megasoum

Banned
It's not really a problem once you unlock extra inventory space, but that requires hunting down collectibles.

It's a 30 damage weapon that powers up against bosses.

Oh cool... So are you supposed to get it really far into the game? I just got the first hint about it after finishing the first dungeon in Zora land... So finishing all the dungeons kinda leads you there?

BearPawB

Banned
Oh cool... So are you supposed to get it really far into the game? I just got the first hint about it after finishing the first dungeon in Zora land... So finishing all the dungeons kinda leads you there?

the game doesn't really lead you to it through the main story. But I imagine most will stumble across it midway through the game. I was able to get it after 2 dungeons

I got it before doing any dungeons, but I went around doing everything but the main story. It takes some playing time to meet the requirements, but can be done in any order.

Now that I'm getting into story parts of Zelda, I suspect the voice acting is bad as a joke on people asking for it all these years. Maybe the non-English VO is half decent and this is on NoA.

The unsung hero in Yakuza 0 is that text sound effect, there is something just perversely satisfying about it. Up there with the COD "fft fft fft" hit sound.

Edit: The few chunks of VA I've heard in Zelda so far has been alright. Nothing great, but certainly not bad. There's so little of it that I almost wonder why they bothered, though.

BearPawB

Banned
Now that I'm getting into story parts of Zelda, I suspect the voice acting is bad as a joke on people asking for it all these years. Maybe the non-English VO is half decent and this is on NoA.

I like everyone's voice except Zelda.
But I found her character in that game surprisingly fly developed for her low screentime

Megasoum

Banned
Something I noticed lately while watching a lot of old GB live stream archives is that they stopped doing the whole splitting of hosts (ie: on each side of the game play image) and then have them look in the wrong direction or even have one of the image flipped so that it looks like they are looking the right way.

This always bugged me.

For example in that famicom stream..

Ryan is actually sitting on Jeff's right (so on left side of the screen when watching the show) so Ryan is looking to his left when talking to Jeff...

They used to do that ALL the time and I always found it confusing and annoying.

AArJd2Y.jpg

I think the only 3D bluray I have is Tangled. Kind of pumped to finally watch it in 3D again, lol.
Best Disney movie.

Still holding out hope for side-by-side 3D video support in the Media Player app, though.

We have Tangled on Blu-Ray 3D. It's not part of my personal library, but it's the only animated movie we have in 3D, so I checked it on (I'm in the beta). Wow, was the 3D in that thing stunning. The scene with the lanterns was made for 3D! I definitely want more 3D animated movies (I want to pick up The Adventures to Tintin in 3D). The vast majority of my movies are post-conversion 3D (the Hobbit Trilogy and Transformers 3 being the exceptions). I also have The Lion King in 3D, which is an interesting watch, considering it's 2D animating.

Was Bomberman always bad? The end of the Bombcast had me wondering. I mean I haven't cared for the franchise since the NES game but it's not too hard to see the appeal for the time. Once you got those power-ups and could place multiple remote bombs with big explosions... the power was intoxicating.

They're crazy for never seeing the appeal in Worms though. Turn-based deathmatch, destructible procedural environments, ninja-rope, needing to golf your aim a bit with taking wind into account.

BearPawB

Banned
Was Bomberman always bad? The end of the Bombcast had me wondering. I mean I haven't cared for the franchise since the NES game but it's not too hard to see the appeal for the time. Once you got those power-ups and could place multiple remote bombs with big explosions... the power was intoxicating.

They're crazy for never seeing the appeal in Worms though. Turn-based deathmatch, destructible procedural environments, ninja-rope, needing to golf your aim a bit with taking wind into account.

Bomberman had a time and place.
It's just not in 2017

Shadow of War looks pretty dope, looks like they ratcheted up all the cool shit from the first game to 11. Has definitely made a good first impression for me.

The only weird thing about Zelda VO is that why is everyone british.

Bizarrely, all of the characters with American accents sound fine.
(The Great Deku Tree, the Rito, the Gorons, and the Gerudo)
I think the voice director for the English dub told the American actors to affect British accents so they sound regal, but they just sound terrible.
(Zelda, the King, and the Zoras)

The main thing I want from Shadow of War is for it to be more difficult. Like the War Chiefs and Overlords should be able to take me out in a couple hits, and maybe some like unique traits and stuff.

The main thing I want from Shadow of War is for it to be more difficult. Like the War Chiefs and Overlords should be able to take me out in a couple hits, and maybe some like unique traits and stuff.

I hope they introduce difficulties.

Games like this(And the fallout series) that can be 'broken' easily are more fun if they're extremely hard.

I hope they introduce difficulties.

Games like this(And the fallout series) that can be 'broken' easily are more fun if they're extremely hard.

Yea if I can play on a hard mode where the health bars are bigger and hits are harder that will be ok, that's what I'm doing with Horizon right now. It would be cool if the difficulty could just kinda lineup better with the Nemesis System. I want to feel like I can wreck house on the little dudes, and then when a big bad shows up I'd like to feel like I need to be on my shit, which would probably take more than just increased health, higher damage and being immune to executions or whatever.

Haven't been able to keep up with all the games. Had the last two days off, I went and finally put in some work into ffxv, got to chapter 9, im about four hours or so into Zelda now as well, and fuck me I wasted some time playing for honor online, its stupid fun to be honest. I also have nioh completely wrapped still and resident evil seven untouched after playing about 2 hours or so about three weeks ago. What's my next step for my next time off(sometime next week)gaf?

I really wanna finish ffxv, but Zelda is scratching an itch I've long not felt and then there's for honor, the whore I can't stay away from no matter how hard I try, i.e. fighting games. Final Fantasy seems to be really picking up though, even went and saw the movie in between a play session.

hamchan

I'm also hoping Shadow of War is more difficult. Like, Zelda has enemies that kill me in two hits at the start of the game. I want that.

I want Mr Shakedown in Middle Earth.

Yea if I can play on a hard mode where the health bars are bigger and hits are harder that will be ok, that's what I'm doing with Horizon right now. It would be cool if the difficulty could just kinda lineup better with the Nemesis System. I want to feel like I can wreck house on the little dudes, and then when a big bad shows up I'd like to feel like I need to be on my shit, which would probably take more than just increased health, higher damage and being immune to executions or whatever.

I'm also hoping Shadow of War is more difficult. Like, Zelda has enemies that kill me in two hits at the start of the game. I want that.

I want Mr Shakedown in Middle Earth.

Right. I do the same in Dynasty Warriors, I like the difficulty where I can mow down guys, but when it comes to officers I have to think about my approach.

Same with Fallout. Easy is too easy, normal is still too easy, but going to very hard it's much better.

Sakwoff

TBF, you see those kind of people on giantbomb too and giatnbomb does go out of their way to stop that kind of nonsense.

That's exactly the thing though. This shit is (sadly) such a part of the gaming community online, that if you don't rigorously stamp that shit out, it will take over and your community will turn into a toxic cesspool. If you want a case study, just take a look at RPGCodex as an example. And then maybe take a walk in the park + a hot bath to wash the filth off.

There was a hot minute where the GB community threatened to flip as well. Kind of in the leadup to GG, when that shit was starting to galvanize. Remember the community going after women who dared say anything negative about GB? The Samantha Allen thing? That shit was not great. Thankfully they reacted immediately, ramping up the moderation tenfold. And it worked.

The same is true for NeoGAF. True, you still get the occasional fucksticks, and shit gets a little crazy sometimes, but nowhere near as bad as in most other gaming communities.

Rigorous moderation is super important.

Jintor

my favourite (most detested) thing about gamergate and to a large extent the neofascists of the day is that they've learnt to couch their bullshit in grotesque mockeries of inclusive and welcoming dialogue. moderation = censorship, why can't you be tolerant of my alternative viewpoints, etc, etc.

wankers, the lot of them.

faridmon

I agre with Will Smith on 2/3rds. Bomberman and Lemmings were always bad, but man Worms games are bloody fun by their own rights.

kiguel182

I just caught up on the whole Colin "joke" situation and man, Greg had to apologise for the dude.

I think Greg is a great dude and Colin really seems like it weights him down. Every time Colin creates controversy there comes Greg trying to make it right. It's kind of messed up since Colin continues to be shitty and doesn't admit he is wrong or that his comments are offensive.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
"Colin isn't going to PAX East anymore"

You got your wish.

I wonder what the atmosphere is like in their office. Must be weird.

Bomberman was always good for like 10 minutes of play. Then you've basically seen everything there is. The whole IP is ass.

Now Worms on the other hand is pretty damn good. Like, we played that on graphing calculator in school and it was fun.

Top Bottom