• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
anything is better than the 'i''m a game developer who just finished cave story. here's my totally not cave story pixel art'

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
tumblr_nvs7keUm1Y1qa64gco1_1280.jpg

Purely curious, why couldn't drew do this as a part of giant bomb? Not enough cbsi monies? Would it have been weird if he stay with gb while going through patreon as well?(yeah most probably)

LiK

Purely curious, why couldn't drew this as a part of giant bomb? Not enough cbsi monies? Would it have been weird if he stay with gb while going through patreon as well?(yeah most probably)

Def budget and there's no way they would allow him to travel around and not work with them in studio.

Purely curious, why couldn't drew do this as a part of giant bomb? Not enough cbsi monies? Would it have been weird if he stay with gb while going through patreon as well?(yeah most probably)

remember how it took them months to get money for video cards for the office PCs to literally do their jobs

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

The scope is big enough that it probably needs to be a separate thing with its own individual budgeting and staff.

Haven't played Zelda in over 24 hours. I'm getting the shakes.

Completely different focus and scope, I would imagine.

Look how long it took them to get new shelves for the office and how it takes 6 months to a year to hire someone.

CBSi seems like a slow moving ship and I can only imagine trying to explain this to management.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
remember how it took them months to get money for video cards for the office PCs to literally do their jobs

Or how they can't even start the hiring process until somebody's last day has already passed.

What the actual fuck, CBS? Notice exists so you can start filling the position early without interruption.

Antiwhippy

I mean there is that, but seriously, this isn't as feasible as a side thing as people think it is. Travel is expensive. Expanses needs to transport recording equipment is expensive. Expenses needed to schedule filming in foreign countries is expensive. And most importantly it's all very time-consuming. What he wants to do can't be done as a side thing.

I guess I emphasize this more because I have way too much experience with people usually underestimating the amount of effort and budgeting needed for creative projects. Production is such an underlooked part of such projects. People just think "Just bring a camera how hard can it be?"

Look how long it took them to get new shelves for the office and how it takes 6 months to a year to hire someone.

CBSi seems like a slow moving ship and I can only imagine trying to explain this to management.

Plus the scope and associated costs would likely increase.

I mean there is that, but seriously, this isn't as feasible as a side thing as people think it is. Travel is expensive. Expanses needs to transport recording equipment is expensive. Expenses needed to schedule filming in foreign countries is expensive. And most importantly it's all very time-consuming. What he wants to do can't be done as a side thing.

I guess I emphasize this more because I have way too much experience with people usually underestimating the amount of effort and budgeting needed for creative projects. Production is such an underlooked part of such projects. People just think "Just bring a camera how hard can it be?"

And that's with an experienced one person "team".

He also mentioned the number he's aiming is 5-6 of these trips a year.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
A) Drew would be gone all the time which is not something you want from your video producer
B) Drew would have to file expenses with CBS which he'd likely get declined on
C) Why give CBS the trademark for your own original creation that they had absolutely nothing to do with?

Antiwhippy

I mean you give the trademark if CBS is willing to fund your new thing. :p

This gives him more control over what he wants to do though.

Zocano

Holy shit, there is so many sub stories in this BiTE video lol.

I'm glad they're diving into the side stuff in Yakuza 0. Lots of fun to be had.

But I doubt they'll finish either of the business activities for Majima or Kiryu. They're both big time sinks but they give you probably the best reward you could ever want:
a 4th style.

I'm waiting to finish Yakuza 0 (after I finish Zelda...and maybe Persona 5) before getting into BITE. Did they do the pocket racing side-story yet?

So I ordered the silly $80 Persona 5 edition with the plush toy and the bag.

I dont know why. I am weak.

Same. The bag will sit in my closet next to the Resident Evil 5 Tricell bag and the Mirror's Edge runner bag that never left the plastic wrap. I'd have said I never buy special editions, but I did just get that Zelda Master Edition. Really only Zelda and now Persona I'm willing to shell out for.

Can this service still be used to rent games individually? Or is it only a subscription model? If the former, I could see myself using it to rent some PS4 games if the prices can compete with RedBox.

Nope. It used to. I was bummed when they took it away, as I would be more likely to rent a game that way. Right now, it's $20/month and $45/3 months (essentially $15/month). Every once and a while they offer a $99/year (essentially $8.3325/month) option. If they ever made it $15/month, I would probably subscribe. But, that was before, when it was just PS3 games. Now that it's PS4 games too, the $20/month seems a little more appealing.

Mr. F

Banned
This goes pretty deep into the inner workings of Giant Bomb and Vinny's thoughts on all of it.

Pretty much a must listen to most of this thread, I would say.

Odd that it takes an outside interview for this kind of transparency, but kudos to Vinny for laying some of it out

Zocano

Haha, watching this Brad stream and his
big horse greed
is almost as intense as his lizard lust in the olden days.

I like to rewatch the Demon's Souls LP every now and then because it's so so good. And it's probably the best fresh/newbie Demon's Souls LP to watch out there. Most others are either literally spoonfed the game (I'm looking at you, Woolie) or aren't quite as endearing and humorous for the viewer (Kayplays is decent but can be a bit too slow and methodical if you are yearning for goofs and gafs and the player being a bit scrubby so it gives some intensity to the viewer).

Aselith

Plus the scope and associated costs would likely increase.

And that's with an experienced one person "team".

He also mentioned the number he's aiming is 5-6 of these trips a year.

I wonder how his Patreon is going to do during the in between time. That's a lot of time on the road but that's probably gonna mean pretty chunky times between content huh? I guess he could periscope his time on the road to fill gaps where possible.

repeater

I like to rewatch the Demon's Souls LP every now and then because it's so so good. And it's probably the best fresh/newbie Demon's Souls LP to watch out there. Most others are either literally spoonfed the game (I'm looking at you, Woolie) or aren't quite as endearing and humorous for the viewer (Kayplays is decent but can be a bit too slow and methodical if you are yearning for goofs and gafs and the player being a bit scrubby so it gives some intensity to the viewer).
Demon's Souls is one of my absolute favorites among GB content, it's SO GOOD.

This goes pretty deep into the inner workings of Giant Bomb and Vinny's thoughts on all of it.

Pretty much a must listen to most of this thread, I would say.

Yup. It's a fantastic, thoughtful and informative listen. The one they did with Alex back in the day is great as well.

Zaph

I wonder how his Patreon is going to do during the in between time. That's a lot of time on the road but that's probably gonna mean pretty chunky times between content huh? I guess he could periscope his time on the road to fill gaps where possible.
Drew talked a bit about that during the stream and liked the idea of streaming games like flight sims etc in the downtime.

Basically, just expect him to follow Danny's footsteps, sounds like he helped Drew a lot planning this.

Top Bottom