• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Isn't the hori one just plastic?

Eh, the one I got is a cheapo one from ebay so if it does bubble up I'll just look to the one suggested in the switch protection thread.

I always feel like Jeff is maybe not the best person to be taking a look at these kind of games. He's said many times before that he prefers to play them on his own and this is clearly one that benefits from playing with a group of friends.

I know of course that they cant get the multiplayer working right anyway but still.

I enjoyed the beta for what it was. The game still has problems of course, many of which Jeff rightly points out but I think as just another dumb multiplayer team game its good enough that I still plan to get it.

convo

I'm with Jeff in that I never use buffs or debuffs.

I'm talking about the Pesona side of this argument. Not buffing just causes you to waste time and turns. I understand why he doesn't care about it in zelda, but it makes no sense in a game like persona. The annoyance of keeping track of buffs per turn can't overturn their usefulness and time saving capability. Any SMT game exists for its buffs and debuffs, Jeff's grumpiness can not overrule reality.

patapuf

I'm talking about the Pesona side of this argument. Not buffing just causes you to waste time and turns. I understand why he doesn't care about it in zelda, but it makes no sense in a game like persona. The annoyance of keeping track of buffs per turn can't overturn their usefulness and time saving capability. Any SMT game exists for its buffs and debuffs, Jeff grumpiness can not overrule reality.

That's true for quite a few JRPG's.

Either one is willing to learn the systems - or one grinds. Persona is pretty acessible with it's buffs/debuffs and RPS elemental damage. There's others where learning how the combat works is a chore and not fun.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Though let's be honest, persona after 2, and especially 4, are easy as fuck and you can pretty much ignore quite a bit of the battle systems.

Really hope the. Ew west person is an active personality. This week bombastia was basically a Brad-Jeff cast.

Also buffs and debuff are only useful in boss fights in RPGs.

daveo42

Banned
Exploiting weaknesses are fine, but I also tend to avoid buffs and debuffs in single player RPGs unless they affect the entire party/monster field and it's a boss fight. Open world RPGs it seems more useful to use if it does give you an advantage though. Like, I just completed Horizon: Zero Dawn and stuff like the Ropecaster to immobilize or applying elemental damage does wonders in increasing damage output and lets you control combat. There's a large benefit there. Most RPGs usually tend to stick with the same kind of system that makes the choice not to use them much easier because the cost/benefit isn't worth it.

Remember at the start of the Endurance Run when everyone was scared that they would get to the end of Yukiko's dungeon, fail to beat the boss, and give up on the game?

Catvoca

Banned
It's when you have to use a consumable item to buff/debuff that I never use them. If it's a spell or something you can use multiple times then I might mess with them.

imBask

Banned
yeah but using a magic buff also means i'll have to use a magic potion and i'm not using any potion JUST IN CASE

and then I end up with a billion potions at the end of the game

daveo42

Banned
It's when you have to use a consumable item to buff/debuff that I never use them. If it's a spell or something you can use multiple times then I might mess with them.

I look at it as how much of a benefit it would be over just attacking again. Boss fights should be considered different due to mechanics of the fights (if it's has an actual deep combat system), but during regular gameplay, I don't see the need.

Remember at the start of the Endurance Run when everyone was scared that they would get to the end of Yukiko's dungeon, fail to beat the boss, and give up on the game?

Watching the early parts of the ER now and then watching a video where they summon Satan late game it seems like they learn quite a ton about it over their long journey. Kind of like my first time with a Persona game. It also added to my enjoyment and understanding of the SMT games.

Mupod

gah, podcast spoilers are annoying because my car is from the land before time and I can't skip ahead or drop the volume without fucking around with my phone. I remember when they wouldn't shut up about Inside and I just hummed loudly over it so I couldn't hear them, until I reached a stop light and I could turn it off. Game ended up being lame EXCEPT for the one thing that everyone was itching to talk about so at least I'm glad I did that.

LiK

gah, podcast spoilers are annoying because my car is from the land before time and I can't skip ahead or drop the volume without fucking around with my phone. I remember when they wouldn't shut up about Inside and I just hummed loudly over it so I couldn't hear them, until I reached a stop light and I could turn it off. Game ended up being lame EXCEPT for the one thing that everyone was itching to talk about so at least I'm glad I did that.

What did they spoil for you?

In the comments for the episode before they fought that boss, Vinny posted a comment that was something like "Tune in for the next (Possibly last?) episode of the endurance run"

So even they thought the run ending there was an option.

Hasney

Honestly, that NiER ending mechanic spoiler is a bit of a bummer since it would have been a cool thing to see of the first time. it would have been as bad as spoiling Eventide Island which they thankfully held back on.

In the comments for the episode before they fought that boss, Vinny posted a comment that was something like "Tune in for the next (Possibly last?) episode of the endurance run"

So even they thought the run ending there was an option.

it very nearly did. they barely made it

I think I have to side with Jeff about Zelda. I only completed the opening area and making my way to the next story quest but so far it's been okay.
That's like only playing the first 3 hours of persona 4 and coming to a concensus on the game. You need to play MORREEE!!!!

Curufinwe

That is a pretty tough battle, especially if you're not used to the Persona system.

My strongest recollection from the early part of the ER was people like me telling them to buy TaP sodas from the vending machine so they could restore SP outside of battles and spend longer in the dungeon, but then Vinny waited till he was in the middle of the boss battle to try and use them.

Xater

I think Zelda sounds super cool. I'm a mechanics fan and this Zelda seems to do a lot of things. Still not at a point where I think it's worth spending 329€ on.

LiK

The problem with the Persona games in general is that the combat tends to be much more difficult even on Normal if you don't bother with learning weaknesses. Personally, for me, I will play all Persona games on Easy cuz I play for story. I find the combat and dungeons a real slog and last way too long.

Curufinwe

The problem with the Persona games in general is that the combat tends to be much more difficult even on Normal if you don't bother with learning weaknesses. Personally, for me, I will play all Persona games on Easy cuz I play for story. I find the combat and dungeons a real slog and last way too long.

The game remembers the weaknesses for you, though. You don't have to memorize them.

daveo42

Banned
That is a pretty tough battle, especially if you're not used to the Persona system.

My strongest recollection from the early part of the ER was people like me telling them to buy TaP sodas from the vending machine so they could restore SP outside of battles and spend longer in the dungeon, but then Vinny waited till he was in the middle of the boss battle to try and use them.

It is definitely a different system especially when it's more about exploiting weaknesses to limit enemy turns, but it's about the easiest system in the Persona/SMT series to deal with. P4, even on normal, is a great entry point for their systems and odd naming conventions. Replaying Nocturne after beating P4G literally blew my mind.

Hopefully 5 isn't as much of a slog since they aren't procedural generated dungeons and more hand crafted. I couldn't bring myself to play the After Story in FES because I was sick of seeing Tartarus.

LiK

The game remembers the weaknesses for you, though. You don't have to memorize them.

It's just boring doing the same thing over and over. It gets very repetitive. The games are pretty long already and I usually just want to get to the next story beat. Tokyo Mirage Sessions did it right. The dungeons weren't quite as long even with the backtracking and the combat was always fun to watch during the Sessions combos. I've been on a media blackout for P5 so I hope the combat is just as fun to watch as to play.

Hasney

It's just boring doing the same thing over and over. It gets very repetitive. The games are pretty long already and I usually just want to get to the next story beat. Tokyo Mirage Sessions did it right. The dungeons weren't quite as long even with the backtracking and the combat was always fun to watch during the Sessions combos. I've been on a media blackout for P5 so I hope the combat is just as fun to watch as to play.

The #FE duo powers probably took too long for some people, but I kinda enjoyed the music enough that it wasn't a chore.

"Give me all your cute...."

But yeah, Persona could get kind of repetitive in battling scrubs. I ended up just pushing it down to the easiest level and speeding through fights.

daveo42

Banned
Persona 4 you just pretty much do the dungeons in one go and do other stuff until the next phase.

Persona 3 was similar in that you had to complete Tartarus in blocks by getting to a floor with a warp point or elevator or else it wasn't really worth it. Still wish P4 let you split up the party to explore the floor. P4 gets easier to do that once you get the Fox companion.

Mupod

Nothing because I can see spoiler-brad revving up from a mile away and my patented system of yelling in my car over the podcast worked that time.

If the Nier thing is that
if you die in the start you get an ending
then I know that already.

Mupod

I definitely need to return to Tokyo Mirage Sessions but losing my save file due to Nintendo's nonsensical save file storage was a bummer.

The Jpop theme is something I'd thought would be a huge turnoff but it ended up being kind of a Catherine situation, it's so weird/novel that it was actually pretty awesome.

LiK

I definitely need to return to Tokyo Mirage Sessions but losing my save file due to Nintendo's nonsensical save file storage was a bummer.

The Jpop theme is something I'd thought would be a huge turnoff but it ended up being kind of a Catherine situation, it's so weird/novel that it was actually pretty awesome.

Def get back to it. Story and characters are great and the music just keeps getting better and better. Combat was so satisfying. I was surprised how much I loved it. It was the same feeling I had after beating P4G. It was so bittersweet when it ended.

Mupod

Wait, what's so j-pop about catherine?

I didn't mean it in a literal sense, rather I got the same kind of feeling from both games. Catherine is a totally unique, weird ass game that came out just when I was sick of everything else I was playing. But I had wanted Atlus to just make another Persona game, not some block puzzle shit. It turns out that I didn't know what I wanted and Catherine is awesome.

TMS is similar because it seemed to scare away Fire Emblem fans and SMT fans in equal measure. But it's a cool ass game, not DESPITE the Jpop and idol stuff, but because of how it uses it.

Def get back to it. Story and characters are great and the music just keeps getting better and better. Combat was so satisfying. I was surprised how much I loved it. It was the same feeling I had after beating P4G. It was so bittersweet when it ended.

Yeah I wasn't THAT far in but just enough that restarting would suck. I was playing on hard mode too and it felt just right, really liked how the combat worked. I believe I had just gotten the Doga/Draug character. I ended up being pulled into Overwatch and WoW by friends, and when I wanted to go back to the game I realized that despite being a disc copy my Wii U had been saving it to a random USB drive I had plugged in but wasn't really using for anything. I'd long since wiped it without noticing the save file was there.

Top Bottom