• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Man, I am excited for Mass Effect. I have no interest in ever playing that game but it'll be a fun thing to see the internet react. Cause judging from various threads about 60% of people REALLY want to see that game crash and burn while the 39% already decided it's the best thing ever.

Real Hero

If I had to guess it's going to be super disappointing but will be good enough for people who just want to fuck some aliens and maybe shoot some

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Man, I am excited for Mass Effect. I have no interest in ever playing that game but it'll be a fun thing to see the internet react. Cause judging from various threads about 60% of people REALLY want to see that game crash and burn while the 39% already decided it's the best thing ever.

That's just standard gaming community stuff though.

Antiwhippy

I feel like I would actually really like mass effect as a series if they got rid of combat altogether.

Also makes it so they don't have the "there's combat so obviously there's a great adversary you must fight" crutch when it comes to the writing.

Antiwhippy

Nah, I feel like that's only the case for some games.
I don't see anybody hoping that Persona, Nier or Prey are terrible for example.

I mean for the really big mainstream games. Bonus points if they're platform exclusive.

You see that with horizon, you see that with zelda.

Fantastapotamus

I mean for the really big mainstream games. Bonus points if they're platform exclusive.

You see that with horizon, you see that with zelda.

I don't even count exclusives, cause that's just pure stupidity....unlike hoping that Mass Effect fails which is obviously much smarter and time well spent for any sophisticated gamer

Catvoca

Banned
I'm keeping my expectations realistic but I do think the game looks good, and as someone who enjoyed ME3 and parts of DA:I, I expect to like it.

It'll probably be an entertaining review thread for sure.

Salarians

I expect I'll like ME:A but critical/community response will be probably be middling at best

ME:A threads are basically how I remember DA:I prerelease threads (gifs of bad animations posted ad nauseam, whining over female character's faces not being pretty enough, and so forth), GAF and otherwise

I feel like I would actually really like mass effect as a series if they got rid of combat altogether.

Also makes it so they don't have the "there's combat so obviously there's a great adversary you must fight" crutch when it comes to the writing.

I would honestly like a slice of life type visual novel/adventure game in the Mass Effect Universe. Who needs to kill aliens when you can either make friends and/or have sex with them.

And hey if it catches on maybe Blizzard will make an Overwatch spin-off in that style.

repeater

What's been shown so far doesn't look particularly bad
xImu44j.gif

Huh.

Fantastapotamus

I don't think you need to get rid off combat but getting rid of "the big bad guy" would be good. This game doesn't need an evil alien overlord, it could have been all about exploring planets, making first contact, finding strange alien places, building your home etc.
It didn't need a bad guy.
I really loved how The Witcher 3 told a much more personal story that didn't involve you saving the world from a bad guy.....until it turned into you saving the world from a bad guy. But at least that was only at the end

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I swear I'm not port begging but honestly what I've seen of Mass Effect is something I'd want on a Switch, something I could pick up on my train ride. Nothing in there is something I want to play on my couch on a big screen

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Here's the official ranking of all The Witcher releases:

- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
- The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
- The Witcher

I swear I'm not port begging but honestly what I've seen of Mass Effect is something I'd want on a Switch, something I could pick up on my train ride. Nothing in there is something I want to play on my couch on a big screen

See I'm the opposite. I really like my Switch but I wouldn't be buying any story heavy third party stuff for it. I want it on a big screen with a better chance of running well.

Games like Puzo Puyo Tetris and stuff that I can play while watching YouTube or listening to podcasts though I'll probably be choosing the Switch versions from now on.

Anjin M

is it bad that i dont care for Mass Effect even though i have bought all 3 games?
After ME3 and DA2, I don't think I'll buy another Bioware game day one again. ME:A will have to have great word of mouth for me to consider buying it.

As it stands, I'm almost done with Yakuza (tonight, I hope). I'll probably just play my backlog until Persona 5 comes out.

Fantastapotamus

Here's the official ranking of all The Witcher releases:

- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
- The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
- The Witcher Board Game

There, I fixed it
You're welcome

This is weird cause something about this looks odd to me, but I don't really know what. I wouldn't even say it looks bad, just....weird.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
See I'm the opposite. I really like my Switch but I wouldn't be buying any story heavy third party stuff for it. I want it on a big screen with a better chance of running well.

Games like Puzo Puyo Tetris and stuff that I can play while watching YouTube or listening to podcasts though I'll probably be choosing the Switch versions from now on.

Like, I wouldn't want something like The Witcher 3 on Switch for similar reasons, but everything about Andromeda so far looks sort of...lightweight? Like I want to just play it for 20 minutes and come back later

Kimaka

I don't think you need to get rid off combat but getting rid of "the big bad guy" would be good. This game doesn't need an evil alien overlord, it could have been all about exploring planets, making first contact, finding strange alien places, building your home etc.
It didn't need a bad guy.
I really loved how The Witcher 3 told a much more personal story that didn't involve you saving the world from a bad guy.....until it turned into you saving the world from a bad guy. But at least that was only at the end

Even though it wasn't told particularly well, I liked that DA2 did try to have a more personal story and you didn't join some super special order to get automatic access to everything. I would like for Bioware to attempt that again, but they tend to get rid of everything that is harshly criticized rather than refining it.

is it bad that i dont care for Mass Effect even though i have bought all 3 games?

I'm still on the fence. I have some major issues with DA:I, but didn't outright hate it. If Andromeda is that with improvements, I can derive some fun out of it. I'm not buying it anywhere close to launch, but I've seen enough to want to at least try the trial.

Top Bottom