• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I seriously don't understand the person at Bioware who went 'you know, we should make the all-terrain switch in the nomad require a button press'

I'm guessing it's actually to make sure you don't have a whole lot of speed going up hills so you can't go out of bounds, but still.....just why?
The only good thing about the Mako was that you could go fucking fast. Yeah, let's turn that thing into a tractor...

Lingitiz

but you dont alwyas get new and better weapons. just because you like it doesn't mean its not tedious.

Key difference is that combat is fun and really dynamic, especially when weird shit happens with the elements and the weather, and the stuff the AI does. You don't always get new weapons but it doesn't mean it's pointless. If you want to avoid it too that's an option.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Are you asking for a better weapon with every fight? That's ridiculous.

you literally said the loop of fighting is getting newer and better weapons. when i said the combat is meaningless. the combat IS meaningless because its almost always a zero sum game. you rarely get new and better weapons outside of very specific fights and even then, a lot of those fights arent worh having

BearPawB

Banned
You don't even need good weapons to deal with enemies in Zelda.
"oh no my 20 damage sword broke!"

well just grab any of the other 20 damage items dropped by most of the enemies in the game.

The weapons don't matter. You don't need better weapons to do anything in that game.

I actually hate most of the higher damage 2 handers because i can't use my shield.

Ill take down a Lynel with anything

mNmqyZO.gif

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
This blue lady character introduction was so bad, holy shit. That was one of the best parts of the whole franchsie before. Mass Effect 2 is basically that several times over.

You don't even need good weapons to deal with enemies in Zelda.
"oh no my 20 damage sword broke!"

well just grab any of the other 20 damage items dropped by most of the enemies in the game.

The weapons don't matter. You don't need better weapons to do anything in that game.

I actually hate most of the higher damage 2 handers because i can't use my shield.

Ill take down a Lynel with anything

Hence combat's meaningless. Heck, you're able to take a Lynel down with anything because they're so easy to dodge/parry.

Strimei

This blue lady character introduction was so bad, holy shit. That was one of the best parts of the whole franchsie. Mass Effect 2 is basically that several times over.

Even the kinda bad introductions in 2 were still good in an amusing way.

I mean, remember Jack going all "Cerberus. Arrr. Grrr." while pacing in a hallway at the end of her recruitment mission?

This...its all meh.

oti

Banned
you literally said the loop of fighting is getting newer and better weapons. when i said the combat is meaningless. the combat IS meaningless because its almost always a zero sum game. you rarely get new and better weapons outside of very specific fights and even then, a lot of those fights arent worh having

Alright. You don't like the combat and weapon breaking. I can understand that.

It's still not meaningless. It's odd, but it's good. I guess video games have trained us to keep the weapons and have a favourite one. Zelda isn't like that. Some like it, some don't.

Anyway, EA seems to be in a rough spot.

Lingitiz

Hence combat's meaningless. Heck, you're able to take a Lynel down with anything because they're so easy to dodge/parry.

I find the combat really fun. I don't always need a crazy awesome reward at the end of it. There is a possibility for that sure, but it doesn't need to happen all the time.

This idea of rewarding the player with some item or XP or whatever is how we've gotten into this trash design uniformity of every game having XP or some bullshit skill tree progression. Why can't fun, surprising combat be it's own reward?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Even these fights...those enemies just stood there in an open space and ate 200 bullets each. Man.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Also you kind of don't need the best weapons for zelda? I'm sitting on like multiple elemental weapons and lynel weapons but haven't used them much.

I find the combat really fun. I don't always need a crazy awesome reward at the end of it. There is a possibility for that sure, but it doesn't need to happen all the time.

This idea of rewarding the player with some item or XP or whatever is how we've gotten into this trash design uniformity of every game having XP or some bullshit skill tree progression. Why can't fun, surprising combat be it's own reward?

The combat's fun when you want to play around with how the different systems interact. However, the scale of the world and the frequency of near identical encounters along with the lack of reward (I just beat a camp to get 10 arrows from a chest, woo!) makes 99% of the enemies in the game no worth engaging.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
EA looked at The Witcher 3 and said, what if we gave you a sci-fi version of Geralt's detective mode, but made it in EVERYTHING. LOL Bioware.

Top Bottom