• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Megasoum

Banned
Just saying these words will make my skin crawl but here we go:

I don't think Gamespot users have the same kind of engagement as the ones who visit Giant Bomb.

For sure, it's not even close.

GS is bigger because it's getting more traffic overall but just look at the audience for their streams, it's a fraction of what GB does with a lot less budget and structure.

You're all right, of course.

Wouldn't it be fascinating to see the breakdown of Danny's Patrons, and see how many of them are primarily Giant Bomb people as opposed to Gamespot?

Again, it's important to remember that some of the patreons will drop after a period of time. Most creators have a sharp spike of initial high donations that dips. However usually there is also a pickup in the number of patreons so the amount evens out.

Also I think they've solved the "scam" patreon donations, at least initially. New Patreons are charged as soon as they pledge.

Again, it's important to remember that some of the patreons will drop after a period of time. Most creators have a sharp spike of initial high donations that dips. However usually there is also a pickup in the number of patreons so the amount evens out.

Also I think they've solved the "scam" patreon donations, at least initially. New Patreons are charged as soon as they pledge.
Here's NoClip's timeline. There are those monthly drops, but he was always on an upward trajectory.
E9jnOTU.png
I wish I was monetizing them!

Gross.

Volotaire

Sweet, I think I'll finally switch to premium podcasts for Bomb/Beastcast. I never really hated the ads, because Vinny and Jeff made them funny enough to sit through, but lately (as of the last year or so) they haven't been funny at all and I feel like there is way too many ad breaks, I liked when they had one at the beginning and sometimes one at the end and that was it. Now I'm feeling like there are at least 3-4 ad breaks every week for each podcast.

I still find the Beastcast ads hilarious.

jambo

Just saying these words will make my skin crawl but here we go:

I don't think Gamespot users have the same kind of engagement as the ones who visit Giant Bomb.

Yeah, Drew was able to synergistically monetize elastic markets thanks to the GB community.

SomberOwl

The GB Mass Effect stream is one of the only things I've watched on ME:A.

They got rid of snap to cover WTF? I hate the dynamic cover or whatever it's called. I like to know when I'm in cover.

By the sounds of it the ME:A combat is pretty good. That might be enough for me to get the game if the reviews are at least average to above average.

Megasoum

Banned
By the sounds of it the ME:A combat is pretty good. That might be enough for me to get the game if the reviews are at least average to above average.

Yeah I was pretty meh on the game while watching the GB video until Brad got to the skill trees and different profiles you can build up...

Anyway, I have it pre-ordered already but I'm not in a rush to switch from Zelda to it.

Despite the jank

Despite never having finished a ME game
despite having only played like, 2 hours of the original ME
I might get Andromeda? It looks like my kind of stupid jank

Jothel

Despite the jank

Despite never having finished a ME game
despite having only played like, 2 hours of the original ME
I might get Andromeda? It looks like my kind of stupid jank

I love mass effect so I'm gonna pick this up but still... Aaaaaahhhh
Thing is, if they hadn't made this a mass effect game, it wouldn't be getting anywhere near the negative attention.

So, I saw that thread that the production of PS3 is ending in Japan. It's not quite worldwide yet, but seeing that news makes me wonder. When PS1 production ended worldwide in 2006, PS3 production began. When PS2 production worldwide ended in 2013, PS4 production began. Might we see an announcement on new hardware soon? Surely it's far too early for PS5, so a new handheld perhaps (like that patent from a few weeks ago showed)?

I really hope ME:A has a good story. A good story paired with those animations could actually be really fun.

I hope the combat is decent. It looks like it has a good loot system going on.

One thing bugging me

Is that on the planet mission they do, the helmets keep coming off during the cutscenes and appearing during gameplay

what the fuck

Curufinwe

Beast don't realize boost mode is only for games without Pro support. Games like Nier that came out after September last year aren't going to be affected by it.

I hope the combat is decent. It looks like it has a good loot system going on.

One thing bugging me

Is that on the planet mission they do, the helmets keep coming off during the cutscenes and appearing during gameplay

what the fuck
That's an optional toggle. It's so you can see the faces during cutscenes (not that this does ME:A any favours). It's pretty standard for Bioware games.

And on ME:A, man... I'm still kinda shocked they're shipping it so soon. The character animations in particular seem unfinished.

came in the thread and saw someone post "3 is the best" so I can only assume we're talking about metal gear?

Mass Effect Andromeda looks like dog shit, and I am HERE for it. I'm not gonna play that game but I'm glad it exists. I think watching it from afar is gonna be a lot of fun.

Not excited at all to see the big open world in ME:A, especially when Horizon and Zelda just came out.

Open world fatigue hit me half way through MGSV (ironic since that world was barely open), but Zelda brought me back.

I haven't loved a game like I love Zelda since I played base Witcher 3. It just keeps me coming back. I don't know if it's the convenience of the Switch or the game itself but maaaaan

Hindl

That's an optional toggle. It's so you can see the faces during cutscenes (not that this does ME:A any favours). It's pretty standard for Bioware games.

And on ME:A, man... I'm still kinda shocked they're shipping it so soon. The character animations in particular seem unfinished.

Fiscal is a bitch

Maaaaan

Why would they make that a toggle

It's like, like the option to see bad faces. Did bioware not see this game themselves?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Maaaaan

Why would they make that a toggle

It's like, like the option to see bad faces. Did bioware not see this game themselves?

Eh, people like to see faces instead of helmets. I can see why.

Also ME2 had the problem where they kept the helmets on even when they're drinking stuff.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I mean it's not like they deliberately want to make their face animations suck. They probably put it there in good faith that people want to see their characters animating.

valeo

Hot take: driving has never been fun in any video game, and racing games are a waste of time, effort, and money.

I agree with you if talking about driving simulators (i.e. GT, Forza) but arcade racing games provide some of the funnest experiences. (Burnout, Forza Horizon, Mario Kart)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Mass Effect stream:

This planet has a toxic atmosphere. Also none of these buildings have airlocks. I guess everyone just wore their spacesuits inside?

Mass Effect stream:

This planet has a toxic atmosphere. Also none of these buildings have airlocks. I guess everyone just wore their spacesuits inside?

I think there's atmosphere fields locked around the area that...purify..toxicity left over on the suits?

They keep taking off their helmets for cutscenes >_> it must be ok to breath!!

They're both awful. I'll give them credit for creating a default female MC model that's featured heavy in marketing. But... this was 2007

This is 2017 (and the more flattering shots)

I would legit wait for someone to make a good looking character and hope they just take pictures of the settings they used for that.

Top Bottom