• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

I'm into not interacting with my interactive art.

You ever just stare at screen savers man? There's a whole world behind the surface that just won't exist if you move the mouse.
in

I remember watching the Windows 95 maze screensaver, and thinking "This could be the best video game of all time."

qrIJjfa.gif

Eventually you could play it on Newgrounds or somewhere.

Zaph

If the same game was called The Story of Velma: Breath of the Wild it would get like an 8 or 8.5 tops.

Seriously. I can't help but read articles like this and laugh - many things on that list aren't "petty grievances" but actual problems. I enjoyed most of my time with it, but I'd love to know why some critics walk on eggshells when it comes to negative criticisms about BotW.

Since BEASTcast mentioned Gargoyles, I got to say, It's just a hair below Batman: The Animated Series. Superb voice acting, Incredible writing, memorable characters with fascinating arcs and a great score. Whatever came after it doesn't exist.

Playing Horizon right after a solid week of Zelda is almost cruel to Horizon. It makes Horizon feel like the most restrictive, videogamey-ass videogame that ever did videogame.

It's a damn fine game on its own merit, but going from Zelda back to cluttered maps, telegraphed climbing and exploration, and mechanics on mechanics on mechanics, doesn't do it any favors.

Sexy as hell, though.

Cluttered maps? There are barely any collectibles in Horizon.

TraBuch

Banned
Holy fucking shit, how many times a movie does Alex really need to say "I'm just gonna say this" and then drop a pointless spoiler? It's so annoying.

If the same game was called The Story of Velma: Breath of the Wild it would get like an 8 or 8.5 tops.

Well, Horizon is Far Cry with a different name, and it scored even better than Far Cry!

People trot out that argument whenever a Zelda game gets good scores, and it's not a very good one. There are games like Okami that are pretty much Zelda without Zelda, and they also get great scores. Those games just don't get made all that often, though.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I still have the entire western half of the map to uncover in BoTW
I spent an afternoon opening up each location on the map. Now my map is covered in dots and shrines.

Really wish I could select to show only the markers I want to see sometimes.

Meguro

Banned
If I've learned anything reading this thread it's that any complaints about people repeating themselves or being annoying is always really overblown.

Ashby

I spent an afternoon opening up each location on the map. Now my map is covered in dots and shrines.

Really wish I could select to show only the markers I want to see sometimes.

I really don't like that the border lines disappear when you unlock a region.

convo

I am not sure i want to check what that's about.

But anyway just skipping through the Nier QL and i am feeling that some folks get the wrong idea about some things that are said about certain features. It got to the point people are holding off on playing Nier because Giant Bomb got too tongue-in-cheek with certain spoilers that are a bit much but also not 100% correct either. People shouldn't get their incomplete endgame advice from a podcast and video of people who barely played the game.

Hindl

WTF kind of chinese food are they talking about on blue bombin'?

Cream cheese wonton?

Radioactive sauce?

Hot mustard?

What?

Cream cheese wonton sounds like a crab rangoon. Rest of it I dunno

Somebody really needs to explain to me what's so fun about spending 5 minutes trying to scale the side of a cliff.

There's always a reward at the top. Even if there's nothing, you'll get a view and you'll see some shit that you'll want to explore. I can totally see why someone wouldn't like BotW but the expertly crafted design of that world just floors me again and again. From an academic perspective the game is amazing in the way it's world is laid out and how it guides players. That GI roundtable where they had developers from other studios reflect on it was a great listen

robotrock

Banned
Personally I like the Zelda climbing because it can be a bit of a challenge. Balancing the stamina meter and trying to find places to stand on while climbing to recharge the meter has been engaging and fun. Totally get why that sounds like the opposite of fun though

Top Bottom