• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Climbing in BotW is mindnumbing.

There are four specific things that mitigate the repetition of climbing and I wish I got them earlier.

Speaking of climbing, there are a couple areas where the game has invisible walls with a message saying you can't go further. It's not as bad as Fallout 4 where it pops up in the middle of a forest.

lm18s2r.png

The Bombcast can't come soon enough.

convo

There are four specific things that mitigate the repetition of climbing and I wish I got them earlier.
I kind of wonder if there's anything that would stand in the way of a player who would just want to walk around an obstacle instead of climbing the next wall or mountain? Surely someone out there is taking their time with the game and has not climbed anywhere yet.

I kind of wonder if there's anything that would stand in the way of a player who would just want to walk around an obstacle instead of climbing the next wall or mountain? Surely someone out there is taking their time with the game and has not climbed anywhere yet.

I suppose it's possible if you don't go for all the shrines. But at the same time, it might end up being slower because Link's movement speed is slow if you're not chugging speed potions. Once you reach a high location, you can then surf or glide off it to get places quickly.

Going off what Alex said on the Beastcast reviewers are saying that once you get past the early parts of Andromeda there is a good game there. You've got to wonder why EA let the early stages be played before release so that's all that's been talked about.

EA fucked up the marketing in ever way they possibly could. Footage at E3 made it seem two years off, then announce it's coming in 3 months, then have a tiered embargo, then let people play the worst part of the game only.

Jintor

i honestly have never felt this concentrated amount of "Man I wonder what's going on here" and then getting that little dopamine rush of finding... something when I head on over as much as in Zelda.

Like especially going up against Nier after. I mean they're totally different games but every time I run into an invisible barrier in Nier I get really irritated and they're everywhere. Giant gaping holes in the sides of buildings you run up against and just run into a wall.

At least MGR had the decency to have a giant AR glowy light there and say 'outside of mission parameters'

Going off what Alex said on the Beastcast reviewers are saying that once you get past the early parts of Andromeda there is a good game there. You've got to wonder why EA let the early stages be played before release so that's all that's been talked about.

Gonna guess the dev team just didnt know how to handle the introduction. Perhaps they struggled with how to connect it to the Shepard games and in the end they decided to not even have any connection and just go with "we are going to Andromeda because EXPLORATION!" and they rushed it.

convo

i honestly have never felt this concentrated amount of "Man I wonder what's going on here" and then getting that little dopamine rush of finding... something when I head on over as much as in Zelda.

Like especially going up against Nier after. I mean they're totally different games but every time I run into an invisible barrier in Nier I get really irritated and they're everywhere. Giant gaping holes in the sides of buildings you run up against and just run into a wall.

At least MGR had the decency to have a giant AR glowy light there and say 'outside of mission parameters'

There's the minimap but boundaries are sometimes iffy just looking at the enviroment.There are some locations you can fall down to that are way higher level than the start of the game that you can stumble on to. But the openworld in Nier isn't big enough to get me bothered about that stuff. The story and Yoko Taro fuckery are the main draw for Nier to me, i even let the game dodge for me on easy mode and i am fine with that. I am glad that more people get to know what's going on in his head.

Mr. F

Banned
Gonna guess the dev team just didnt know how to handle the introduction. Perhaps they struggled with how to connect it to the Shepard games and in the end they decided to not even have any connection and just go with "we are going to Andromeda because EXPLORATION!" and they rushed it.

I'm kind of wary of how ill defined the role of Pathfinder is so far. I'm sure it'll get expanded on through the rest of the story but like Brad mentioned the way they flip flop between regarding the role/character as a competent person and a borderline religious figure is jarring and comes off really sloppy.

Jintor

There's the minimap but boundaries are sometimes iffy just looking at the enviroment.There are some locations you can fall down to that are way higher level than the start of the game that you can stumble on to. But the openworld in Nier isn't big enough to get me bothered about that stuff. The story and Yoko Taro fuckery are the main draw for Nier to me, i even let the game dodge for me on easy mode and i am fine with that. I am glad that more people get to know what's going on in that his head.

i don't disagree at all but it's just impossible to not compare aspects of open world when you play two open world games in a row. Of course in Nier it's not really about that, so I don't mind too much.

Strangely one of my favorite parts of Zelda is taking photos and completing my album. It's easy to imagine how cool an open world Pokemon would be this style, where you'd get a pseudo-sequel to both Snap and Afrika in a photo mini-game.

I'm so sad the PC port of Nier is kind of a mess.
I'm still gonna jump on that as soon as I finish Zelda though.

How bad are we talking? worse than PS4? Or one of those ports that's locked to 1080p/60fps.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so sad the PC port of Nier is kind of a mess.
I'm still gonna jump on that as soon as I finish Zelda though.

How bad are we talking? worse than PS4? Or one of those ports that's locked to 1080p/60fps.
Durante called the port great, but there are quite a few issues with the game in fullscreen and stuff. They look patchable, though. I'll wait a bit.
It's not resolution locked, but I don't think framerate above 60 is possible.

Strangely one of my favorite parts of Zelda is taking photos and completing my album. It's easy to imagine how cool an open world Pokemon would be this style, where you'd get a pseudo-sequel to both Snap and Afrika in a photo mini-game.

An open-world Pokemon Snap would be incredible. One of my dream games would be a war photographer game in this same vein.

Jintor

It depends... part of the appeal of Pokemon Snap was doing things to make other things appear and that was usually on a very scripted level.

Though the way BoTW works, I wonder if you could actually do that systemically

Durante called the port great, but there are quite a few issues with the game in fullscreen and stuff. They look patchable, though. I'll wait a bit.
It's not resolution locked, but I don't think framerate above 60 is possible.

That's not too bad. It's unfortunate I'm having to sideline it for Zelda, Yakuza Zero, and Persona 5. But any problems should be figured out when I do get to it.

It's a weird psychological thing but even if I were to buy it on PS4, I'd wait until I got a PS4 Pro. Same reason why I don't feel too bad holding off on playing a ton of Horizon. Sort of hoping there's a PS4 Pro Slim or something announced at E3.

It depends... part of the appeal of Pokemon Snap was doing things to make other things appear and that was usually on a very scripted level.

Though the way BoTW works, I wonder if you could actually do that systemically

While it wouldn't be the same experience, Afrika sold me on the open world stealth photography genre despite all its shortcomings.

justjim89

Not surprised that a bunch of attractive wrestlers, all training together for months and months, just end up boning each other.

It's probably a sex filled party over there like the Olympics.

Especially now that a lot less of them are on drugs. Gotta do something for fun.

Fucked up though how Paige's shit got hacked and leaked. That's basically sexual assault.

Coming off Zelda also I'm finding myself wishing Nier was just linear, like the demo, for the entire game. I just don't care about any of the open world or sidequest stuff, it feels very primitive. I just want to mainline that story. Whenever I'm running around the open world or hub or whatever I find myself contemplating just watching the story on youtube like I did with Nier 1 because I'm just bored. But I bought the game and the combat's alright so I'll stick with it.

Top Bottom