• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Jintor

nier automata is pairing rather nicely with mucking around in the tail end of zelda post-game. Nier is weird as shit and it's bayo-lite enough to make that part of my brain happy.

I'm like 60 hours into BoTW and I still have no idea where this Eventide Island is.

I went there because I thought it was the island from Link's Awakening. So look for that shape.

nier automata is pairing rather nicely with mucking around in the tail end of zelda post-game. Nier is weird as shit and it's bayo-lite enough to make that part of my brain happy.

I think I got to the spoiler thing from the bombcast because, holy fucking shit, a super awesome thing happened near the end of the game. Best moment or sequence is wrapped up for this year.

Edit: Peter just mentioned something that makes me think he wasn't talking about the thing I thought was awesome, so time to not listen to this podcast again.

Wensih

I'm into not interacting with my interactive art.

You ever just stare at screen savers man? There's a whole world behind the surface that just won't exist if you move the mouse.

5KgEoYL.gif

What are those pipes carrying?!

Oh man! I haven't seen this in two decades.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh boy.

I should not have assumed that the DS4 was a plug & play solution for nier automata steam.

Also holy shit it really doesn't like the fact that I have 2 monitors. It seems to think my primary display is my secondary display and for some reason that means that the the screen area is reduced creating big black borders around the video? Also I can't seem to change the video size?

Should have with went with the PS4 version hrmph.

Also fucking hell playing with a switch for so long really messes with your Yes No selection for other consoles.

Antiwhippy

Also holy crap all of nier's preset control are designed by insane people. I have to create my own preset that is nothing like the 3 included one.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Yesterday was the first time Zelda disappointed me.
I went on a pretty long shrine quest that itself was pretty cool and much more involved then all the other quests i've seen in this game so far. And at the end.....was just another shrine. I shouldn't have expected more, but the whole setup felt so different from anything I've seen in this game so far, so to have this end in just another shrine was kinda.....sad

Antiwhippy

The only time I died so far was during the first part (and I was even playing on normal at the time, I think).

In my case it was totally my fault for misjudging the healing.

ON normal it's easy, even hard isn't too bad except you can't fucking save until a certain part that takes a pretty long time to get to and dying means you start over everything.

Played a bit more of ME A with the 10 hour early access. I actually enjoy the action bits and I think the DA I style zones works better in this game. It's just a shame that the conversational interactions are so bad. The animations and character models have been discussed to death. As for the writing, most of it isn't offensively bad but it is just really simplistic and full of cliches. The one conversation with the tired face woman has been the lowest point so far, the rest has just been uninspired.

oti

Banned
So I totally dropped my Switch (while it was in a case) and now my left Joycon seems to have the same problem with Giant Bomb's Switch of it becoming unlatched easily.

That's annoying, lol. I guess I have an excuse to finally buy some Blue Joycons, though!

My Joy-Con are really flimsy while attached and I contacted Amazon support. They refunded me 60€ and I bought a second pair. Now I have two greys, one blue and red.

Antiwhippy

Glad I upgraded my audio system recently. Nier's soundtrack is just aces. Going to enjoy that and persona 5's sound track.

Antiwhippy

So is peter's spoiler a thing you'll naturally come across as you play the game or is it more of a side thing? I don't know what it is btw.

Meneses

So is peter's spoiler a thing you'll naturally come across as you play the game or is it more of a side thing? I don't know what it is btw.

It's related to the ending(s) of the game.

I haven't reached that point myself but I wish I didn't know about it because it would have been a super cool thing to discover.

I suggest just not listening to it, especially since you're playing it already.

And yes, the soundtrack is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgFHIR7lLC0

You could really feel the love in that dialogue.

That totally natural tone about love that everyone can relate to.

Yeah, I just saw that in the other thread. Ugh. I guess it does have more offensively terrible writing sections. The scene would have had the same impact if Ryder would have handed a note to the Salarian that read "Do you like me? check Yes or No" that he then passed to the woman while Ryder giggled nervously in the background.

BearPawB

Banned
FemRyder is played very much to be a socially awkward goofball in a lot of scenes.

So the writing may be bad, but it's consistent about her characterization

Is dude Ryder socially awkward or is he a normal cool guy cool action cool we got this guy?

In my limited time, so far he's not socially awkward but he's annoyingly over positive and speaks in mostly cliches. Kinda of a "Let's go guys! I know we can do this!" attitude, with slight variations on that with conversation choices.

Zaph

Anyone know specifically what ending got spoiled for Nier? Theirs like a bunch of em.

Nier mechanic spoilers:
He spoiled that once you get all the endings you can 'sacrifice' your save file to have your character help one other person on the end boss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgFHIR7lLC0

You could really feel the love in that dialogue.

That totally natural tone about love that everyone can relate to.

It's better than the years of bland stereotypes, but I cannot wait until we're passed this phase of woman characters talking like an awkward teenager trying to be sarcastic and cool. It works if your character is teenage, but not for the commander of a starship.

Antiwhippy

Nier mechanic spoilers:
He spoiled that once you get all the endings you can 'sacrifice' your save file to have your character help one other person on the end boss.

It's better than the years of bland stereotypes, but I cannot wait until we're passed this phase of woman characters talking like an awkward teenage trying to be sarcastic and cool. It works if your character is a teenage, but not for the commander of a starship.

The thing is I kinda like games like that? I mean I love Life is strange and Night in the woods, but a) it's setting appropriate and b) night in the woods actually introduces an edge to it that actually does subvert that kind of speech pattern.

It's better than the years of bland stereotypes, but I cannot wait until we're passed this phase of woman characters talking like an awkward teenage trying to be sarcastic and cool. It works if your character is a teenage, but not for the commander of a starship.

That's really the issue I have with it. I get that storywise she is a reluctant leader forced into the role but all the people in ME A are pioneers and the group that Ryder is part of are the tip of the spear, best of the best. To get there you'd think communication skills would be a consideration. She doesn't have to be a stereotypical strong emotionless woman but why the adolescent awkwardness?

Salarians

finished Night in the Woods last night, probably a "game of the year" for me

also want to play it again because I know I missed a bunch

Antiwhippy

Though really, the adolescent awkwardness could be pretty amazing if ME:A goes the direction of evangalion.

finished Night in the Woods last night, probably a "game of the year" for me

also want to play it again because I know I missed a bunch

Gregg rulz but Bea is bae.

Top Bottom