• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Tubobutts

If the male Ryder's wegotthisness isn't played straight and the end twist is that both Ryders are in fact exceedingly incompetent, it all would make sense.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, a lot of her writing would work in an anime/ chibi context for me.

Well, it needs an edge to it. If by the end of it all she's still a goofball then that's kinda eh. That characterisation works because by the end they're usually shown to be broken facades.

Antiwhippy

Gregg is pretty cool, but Beatrice is so relatable it hurts.

I know. Like god, I just want to slap mae sometimes too during Bea's scenes. I'm like "shit you really wouldn't know how it feels like huh mae".

Which I'm glad they sorta also paid off that bit at the end. She really is incapable of knowing.

Bea is already on lock as my character of the year.

Angus is a close 2nd though.

demidar

I know. Like god, I just want to slap mae sometimes too during Bea's scenes. I'm like "shit you really wouldn't know how it feels like huh mae".

Which I'm glad they sorta also paid off that bit at the end. She really is incapable of knowing.

Bea is already on lock as my character of the year.

Angus is a close 2nd though.

Yeah, I went "Goddamn it Mae" a lot.

Also those are strong words when Persona 5 isn't even out yet.

Antiwhippy

I know I'll love persona, but in a way I already kinda expect the kind of characters and interactions I'll be getting, which I'll love, but I just love the writing for Bea. It's the kind of character I find so rarely in games but ones I find the most interesting in other fiction: Characters broken by life but still finding a reason to carry on.

demidar

Yeah, I can understand that. Persona 5 will probably be some Power of Friendship stuff, and it will utilize well trodden but well executed archetypes. But NitW has some actual hard real life edge to it rather than something viewed through an anime lens.

I've read that P5 is darker and less anime-trope-y than P4 was, but yeah you can still probably expect the usual Persona archetypes and at some point the girls will be in bikinis and all the dudes will make the "i just saw boobs in an anime" inhale noise

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The secret about Mass Effect is that it was always terrible in some respects, there was just enough good stuff that we sort of ignored the enormous gaping flaws with each one of the games

But this was their chance to take a clean slate and not repeat the same mistakes of the past.

BearPawB

Banned
The secret about Mass Effect is that it was always terrible in some respects, there was just enough good stuff that we sort of ignored the enormous gaping flaws with each one of the games

But this was their chance to take a clean slate and not repeat the same mistakes of the past.

Yeah, I think it is the case of the game doing what it has always done.
But time has passed and the series hasn't adjusted

FluxWaveZ

I see this and I'm just like, "Yep, that's Shepard." While that specific romance video dialogue runs counter to who Ryder appeared to be from what I watched in GB's preview video. If Ryder was actually constantly depicted as awkward as they appeared there, that could be interesting though, but now it's just dissonant. Doesn't help that there are other examples of poorly written dialogue already out there from the game.

Stuff like Shepard dancing, smiling, "this is my favorite store on the Citadel"... I feel like it all just worked.

Salarians

It's just like Undertale and the McElroys
tumblr_omt7ofJbX01qfmdlzo3_r1_500.gif

RBH

The official rules said that the winner would be announced "around 3/16." Apparently they email the winner first, and they have like 48 hours to get the documents signed and accept the prize. Considering I haven't heard from them, I'm not holding my breath.

Nothing is pissing me off about NYC. This city is the best. I just mentioned that I'm starting to understand the "I'm walkin' here!" stereotype because I've gotten annoyed at tourists, slow-walkers, and people checking their phones on the sidewalk while I'm trying to walk to a subway station or work or whatever.

This is a really random thought, but I just saw that Ready To Rumble is available on HBO GO, and I think it'd be fantastic if you guys did a Film & 40s for it.

MV5BMTYwMjYyOTA4OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDAyNjE3._V1_.jpg

Antiwhippy

Im triggered

HEY GUYS SANS HERE, AND IM HERE TO SAY THAT YOURE GONNA HAVE A BAD TIME IF YOU EAT THAT AMIBO :):):)

He only like, says that one time.

And only if you're an actual bad person. :p

There are so many more dumb memes in undertale that aren't that. But despite that, I love it.

Antiwhippy

Eh, night in the woods is far more millenial than undertale. The ennui from the lack of opportunities, the crushing inheritance of a failing system passed on from the previous generation are much more millenial than just quirk and memes.

Eh, night in the woods is far more millenial than undertale. The ennui from the lack of opportunities, the crushing inheritance of a failing system passed on from the previous generation are much more millenial than just quirk and memes.

I am drawn to Night in the Woods in a way I never was with Undertale. I'll definitely get around to it this year.

Hindl

I learned a new word today

Tubobutts

The night in the woods quick look made me want to kill myself slightly more than usual so that's accurate.

Pomo

You guys ever go through a bad breakup and spend all your new free-time re-listening to old episodes of the Beastcast while playing games / staring at the ceiling?

Is this how coping works

FluxWaveZ

I found the game abrasive and not funny, from the Quick Look. Would definitely annoy me more than Undertale ever did.

Also, I finished Firewatch yesterday and it is one of the most 'pointless' video games I have played in a long while. My tastes progressively diverge from GB's.

You guys ever go through a bad breakup and spend all your new free-time re-listening to old episodes of the Beastcast while playing games / staring at the ceiling?

Is this how coping works

Yes that's exactly what happens. Sometimes there's drugs too.

Bought all of the shit for my house in BotW. I don't know why I expected some kind of shrine to suddenly appear or something like that.

7 shrines to go somewhere in the world, which is kind of amazing considering how I feel like I've been over every corner of this place.

kiguel182

Watching the first fast and furious with their audio track and Dan keeps asking questions about things the movie will obviously address and it's maddening. Just wait dude!

Antiwhippy

I found the game abrasive and not funny, from the Quick Look. Would definitely annoy me more than Undertale ever did.

Also, I finished Firewatch yesterday and it is one of the most 'pointless' video games I have played in a long while. My tastes progressively diverge from GB's.

Like, i don't find it funny really most of the time, and it's abrasive sometimes too. Like, a real abrassiveness coming from the main character, of all people. It's fucking downright depressing at times. Incredibly sobering too, as it explores things I've felt like i could have turned into in the past with just one misstep/bad luck.

And i love it because of all of that. And the small little reminders sprinkled throughout that you can find beauty in all that too.

It isn't the perfect game or even executes what it's going for perfectly, but fuck man i really do still love it.

I had issues syncing up the audio for F&F. Kinda drove me mad but I eventually accepted the 1 second delay.

Also has anyone noticed weird audio warps briefly during film & 40s and the beastcast?

Might just be my computer.

Top Bottom