• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

def sim

I also hope the "New Map Feature" isn't just enemies and a simple structure added to an otherwise barren part of the map.

Wouldn't it be awesome if they just straight up added a traditional Zelda dungeon?

"New map feature" is vague, so I assumed it'd be something much simpler. Maybe a way to reveal collectibles or encounters on the map.

That'd be a bit of a bummer, though. The one thing I hope developers take away from the game is, hey, maybe leave a little bit of mystery to your open world again.

"New map feature" is vague, so I assumed it'd be something much simpler. Maybe a way to reveal collectibles or encounters on the map.

That'd be a bit of a bummer, though. The one thing I hope developers take away from the game is, hey, maybe leave a little bit of mystery to your open world again.
Ah yeah, I was thinking a geographical feature on the map, but I suppose it's probably a feature of the map like you said. Lame.
The 2nd DLC has a new dungeon but we'll see what it is
Yeah that's what I was thinking of.

Mr. F

Banned
Other than the weird ass New Donk City, I don't think they've shown anything that looks like a radical departure for 3D Mario.

super_mario_odyssey_header_hat.jpg

Check. Mate.

I'm looking forward to them mashing up art styles like they seem to be alluding to.

Flipyap

I assumed it meant they'll add some new stamps because the current selection is so limited you have to invent your own meaning for half of them (in my game chests are shrines, swords are combat shrines, shields are tough enemies, stars are unsolved secrets and crystals were towers until I get the map, then I used them to mark rare ore... it's a mess).

Mr. F

Banned
I kind of dig that you have to assign your own meaning to the stamps. Pretty much all aspects of the pseudo cartography in Zelda has been great to me.

all i know is nintendo knocked it out of the park with that mario kart dlc and if that's any indication of what we can expect with the the zelda addition, i think we'll be okay

Flipyap

I kind of dig that you have to assign your own meaning to the stamps. Pretty much all aspects of the pseudo cartography in Zelda has been great to me.
Oh, I love the stamp system, there's just not enough of them and there's lots of varied stuff you might want to mark.

J_Viper

After finishing Horizon, I'm thinking Audio Logs are a strong contender for this year's Please Stop.

The entire back half of the narrative is basically all stuffed in Audio Logs and Holograms.

Lunar FC

After finishing Horizon, I'm thinking Audio Logs are a strong contender for this year's Please Stop.

The entire back half of the narrative is basically all stuffed in Audio Logs and Holograms.

One of my gripes with the game. They were poorly implemented to boot.. I was afraid to move forward while listening to one due to fear of prompting other dialogue that would overlap with it.

daveo42

Banned

One of my gripes with the game. They were poorly implemented to boot.. I was afraid to move forward while listening to one due to fear of prompting other dialogue that would overlap with it.

Yeah, this is definitely one of the shortfalls of the narrative arc since most of the heavier stuff is covered in this way. It make sense in the context of the game, but still a real bad way to implement as an exposition dump. I did really like some of the holos because they felt more like cutscenes as opposed to straight audio, but it's still a relatively poor solution to the problem.

Someone really has to figure out a better way to tell video game stories than audio logs and diaries containing three increasingly ominous entries.

I skipped a lot of audio logs in the back third specifically because of that overlap issue, but I felt confident that I didn't miss any major story revelations because of the amount of cutscenes.

But then I visited the GAF spoiler thread and was super disappointed to learn that there were some key story-related plotpoints in those logs. Sucks.

Ohnonono

Holy shit GAF I got a Switch! Waited this morning at a small gamestop near my work and was one of 5 lucky people! Got Zelda and BoI! Hype!

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Someone really has to figure out a better way to tell video game stories than audio logs and diaries containing three increasingly ominous entries.

I for one, love finding audio logs that end with "Oh boy, thank god I'm totally safe here! The ghouls won't get to me here! ." on a corpse surrounded by dead ghouls.

I liked the way that The Division handled some of their logs. They've got these windows into the past called Echoes. While the audio log is playing, you can see what was happening at the moment.

They also had standard audio logs in the form of cell phone calls and messages.

Mass Effect: Andromeda did something similar in one of the early missions.

Lunar FC

I liked the way that The Division handled some of their logs. They've got these windows into the past called Echoes. While the audio log is playing, you can see what was happening at the moment.

They also had standard audio logs in the form of cell phone calls and messages.

Mass Effect: Andromeda did something similar in one of the early missions.

Horizon does the same thing as the division's echoes. Though I think division executed them better. Loved walking through the echoes.

Binding of Isaac is a perfect Switch game. I also hate it but that's a game that begs you to hate it.

I love the physical goodies they included. A retro style instruction manual rules:

img-9648-1489794893343_1280w.jpg

the-binding-of-isaac-afterbirth-plus-nintendo-switch-booklet-nes-screen-3.jpg

ArjanN

This year? Everyone has been bringing that up for like a decade now every since every AAA game started using them heavily.

It's just because notes and audio logs are way cheaper and easier to make than full on cutscenes and their nature as collectibles means they even double as some easy extra gameplay addition.

daveo42

Banned
I stopped liking audiologs when they stopped the action in DOOM 3. They became a real annoyance in the Bioshock games.

Infinite was about the worst offender for me when it came to audiologs. In context, it makes at least a little sense in Doom 3 since their audio logs and emails were all attached to PDAs attached to dead UAC employees. The voxophones tho barely fit and make next to no sense because of their bulk alone.

I'd like to see some sort of solution to the audiolog issue in games, but I think we'll never fully see the day they get removed.

I had a dream that nintendo announced a new mario game for the wiiu. They wanted a "switch style" (don't ask me) game for their still supported wiiu. This was at a conference mind you and after that some bioware devs came out dressed as stormtroopers to unveil that they got unreal engine 4 working on the switch and they would be using it to make a new quake.

I don't fucking even know, anyone else have weird gaming dreams recently?

Top Bottom