• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
That was in 2015 when they looked at shit like Bombduders.

I didn't really give a shit, but now that I think about it, it's kind of fucked up that they haven't really done anything with the games. This year had the biggest turnout by far, and they even decided on themes given by the staff. Can't they take two hours out of a Friday to check out something dozens of fans put time and effort into instead of the pixel-art indie roguelike du jour?

Ask about it during the next call-in show

Yeah, that's the one!

Honestly, I'm surprised that they don't do an annual Giant Bomb Plays Giant ROM stream. It seems like such a missed opportunity to give a shout out to the community that supports them. That features seems like a such a gimme.

Yeah, I feel like I'm decently plugged into the GB community, but had no idea about these things before that video a few years ago. Totally forgot about them again until y'all mentioned them here. It is weird that they don't do anything with them each year for how much work some people probably put into them.

EDIT: U.P.F NEEDS MORE PHONE GAMES!!!

Yeah, I feel like I'm decently plugged into the GB community, but had no idea about these things before that video a few years ago. Totally forgot about them again until y'all mentioned them here. It is weird that they don't do anything with them each year for how much work some people probably put into them.

I could kind of understand if they were totally hands-off from it and kept it to a community thing, but when they bring it up and contribute ideas, voice samples, or sound effects to it, and then allude to looking at them, it seems kinda crappy to then not mess around with them.

you figure some of your most dedicated fans are dumping a ton of work into making projects about your website and if you're lucky one of the community members makes a blog post about it.

Neat (I guess).

KmrnRvO.png

Giganteus

Yeah, that's the one!

Honestly, I'm surprised that they don't do an annual Giant Bomb Plays Giant ROM stream. It seems like such a missed opportunity to give a shout out to the community that supports them. That features seems like a such a gimme.
They mentioned doing one earlier this year, but they probably forgot due to other things going on.

They dont give a shit anymore. Maybe next year.

I could kind of understand if they were totally hands-off from it and kept it to a community thing, but when they bring it up and contribute ideas, voice samples, or sound effects to it, and then allude to looking at them, it seems kinda crappy to then not mess around with them.

you figure some of your most dedicated fans are dumping a ton of work into making projects about your website and if you're lucky one of the community members makes a blog post about it.

Man I just realized that looking at some of those games would have been perfect for Drews final UPF... but didn't they have those other guys on showing off their game instead, can't even remember the name of it.

valeo

EDIT: U.P.F NEEDS MORE PHONE GAMES!!!

It's kind a feedback loop at that point isn't it - I'm sure they appreciate all of those games, but it has to also feel a little weird.

BoTW will probably be the least replayable Zelda ever. The sheer thought of starting over is nightmarish to me. Having to do the Great Plateau again and start with shitty weapons, extremely low stamina, and find enough Korok seeds to get a decent sized inventory sounds like a chore to do again. Hell, it's a chore to do it the first time.

BoTW will probably be the least replayable Zelda ever. The sheer thought of starting over is nightmarish to me. Having to do the Great Plateau again and start with shitty weapons, extremely low stamina, and find enough Korok seeds to get a decent sized inventory sounds like a chore to do again. Hell, it's a chore to do it the first time.

I agree... I adore BotW, but it's going to be a several years before I would really want to play again. Maybe around the end of the lifespan of the Switch would be a pretty good time to revisit that awesome game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I tend to not really replay games anyway? Like, videogames are the one medium where i don't really go back to once I've finished it. They just take too fucking long.

BearPawB

Banned
I tend to not really replay games anyway? Like, videogames are the one medium where i don't really go back to once I've finished it. They just take too fucking long.

It depends on the type of game. I could play crazy taxi forever. I've leveled up several wow characters. but I've never replayed a long narrative game

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

Yeah, same here. I have a really hard time justifying replaying games when I have such a full plate already with just new releases and let's not even talk about my backlog :/

Listening to the Peter Browncast (with the Nier spoilers) and holy cow this man is giddy to spoil everything and anything he touches on--not just Nier. It's kind of terrifying, the power he wields... with such reckless abandon.
But that's BotW at its most fun! BotW's ruthless difficulty has been one of its biggest, and most impressive, surprises. Like, I feel like everyone should want to start over and try to beat Calamity Ganon right off the bat after wrapping up their first playthrough.

Although I admit the thought of replaying a game is daunting when it gets past a certain length. Something like, when it's 30+ hours the thought of diving back into it becomes really intense. BotW mitigates this a lot, however, with the open-ness.

Nier Automata's open world kind of sucks, the way they designed the map UI is actually pretty insane. 7 hours in and this is a big step down from the first Nier in terms of setting and characters.

Yeah I have no memory of them looking at those giant rom games.

Just the ones they looked at on most recent Big Live Live Show Live, when they had a panel consisting of Adam Boyes, John Drake, Dave Lang, and Jeff. That was the show where Dan had (or at least attempted to have) everyone drink that drink with the canned cheese.

I didn't realise how much I appreciated BotW's (big) map UI until I started comparing it to other games' attempts at open world maps (ME:A's "wtf is this" map really hit this home.) Even disregarding icon clutter and such, it is just cleaner and easier to parse--with distinct heightmapping and clear geographical markings.

BotW, man. What a game.

TraBuch

Banned
when was the last time they played Giant ROM games? Whatever Jeff, you guys could do better in acknowleding the community. But the community showcase. This is like when they changed TNT to them just playing with [so[sic]]themselves instead of playing with the community.
To be fair, all of the most entertaining TNTs were the ones where they played with each other.

Fortune Street the GOAT.

Top Bottom