• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

miFZgjH.gif

Just finished Yakuza 0. Put it off just abit to finish off Zelda first, hot dang what a fucking finale. Chills all throughout, got choked up. Not surprising though that Yakuza's best strength has always been the voice acting, characters, story and writing. Even though you'd think since this is a prequel, there wouldn't be much tension but make no mistake, it has tons of tension and build up thanks to how the series gives time to let almost every character within it shine, both new and old or the ones who are on the side. TOP 5 OF 2017 EASILY.

Not a big fan of the gameplay compared to the other games but I do love the details put into the world as always be it from shops to minigames and the like. Yakuza's world always feel very well realized thanks to that attention to detail. I kind of feel empty now that I've finished it because I've been attached to these characters for a long while and I always look forward to whatever they do next. I wasn't expecting much from it being a prequel but it contained as much surprises, twists and revelations than in any other game, it pretty much set the stage for the rest of the series. It's definitely the perfect time to be a Yakuza fan if you aren't one and if you are, it's great to get a glimpse of the past. Never has been a patch of land been so god damn interesting, so many good moments ranging from big set pieces to small character interactions.

Now putting all that aside, it has one of the most entertaining side missions in an open world game. They mostly devolve into fetch quests of sorts but what makes them special is once again the characters. The world is just jam packed with wonderful colorful characters, each with their unique charms, quirks and story. Man, I could go on and on about how brilliant Yakuza 0 is but I guess I'll close it off with...THAT SOUNDTRACK MAN.

閻魔の誓い
For Buddy
Rush! Rush! Rush!!
With Vengeance
Try To Have Some Fun For Me
Tiger Flute
Force Addiction
We're Long Hua Expedition
Fever Time
One Eyed Dancer
Glorious Memories
Kuze
Breeze Time
Two Dragons
Rocket Nuts Groove
Money Makes Money
唖然呆然
The story so far
ON THE EDGE
As You Like
Customer Creed
Trouble Shooting Star
La Di Da
Pandora's Place

Diving into Horizon and Nier now with the occasional downloadable games from time to time. Good times.

I tried to watch the whole endurance run but lost where I left off one day and never returned.

All I remember was a conversation about hamburgers that turned into an infomercial for something hamburger related.

robotrock

Banned
Man I played through Yakuza 0 and had such a great time but can't really remember the soundtrack. Surprised to see all the praise of it, but I'll definitely check out those links.

Meneses

miFZgjH.gif

Dat sweet Yakuza stuff.

Man, I couldn't agree more, the only difference being that it's my top game so far for sure.

Btw, I don't really remember what I played of the old ones so I can't compare, what is so different about the gameplay? This one seemed to be a serviceable beat em up, though a bit shallow.

robotrock

Banned
Man, I couldn't agree more, the only difference being that it's my top game so far for sure.

Btw, I don't really remember what I played of the old ones so I can't compare, what is so different about the gameplay? This one seemed to be a serviceable beat em up, though a bit shallow.
They are all even more shallow than this one...I think. I've only played like 2,4,5, and a couple hours of the first game.

story + characters though all so good best series

If you're treating endurance run episodes where they dungeon, grind, and fuse as episodes you're supposed to be fully paying attention to, you're doing it wrong. Those are background podcast episodes.

robotrock

Banned
If you're treating endurance run episodes where they dungeon, grind, and fuse as episodes you're supposed to be fully paying attention to, you're doing it wrong. Those are background podcast episodes.

Yeah man. I bought a giant bomb subscription once I bought my second monitor.

Honestly giant bomb should cut a deal to include subscriptions in monitor bundles

They are all even more shallow than this one...I think. I've only played like 2,4,5, and a couple hours of the first game.

story + characters though all so good best series

It kind of is in all games, I just felt that changing styles was annoying in the long run. I'd prefer if for instance Majima's slugger style would incorporate the ability to pick things up instead of changing to a style that lets me pick up items and then change back to my favorite style again.

robotrock

Banned
It kind of is in all games, I just felt that changing styles was annoying in the long run. I'd prefer if for instance Majima's slugger style would incorporate the ability to pick things up instead of changing to a style that lets me pick up items and then change back to my favorite style again.

I don't know if it's because I never really figured out how to play it, but often in Yakuza games when I stun someone (as in they remain motionless lying on the ground, but still have HP), I actually have no idea what to do with them. I could stomp on them a bunch and that will eventually do the job, but it always feels like it's breaking a good flow of the combat.

Although Yakuza 0 does help a bit with this issue due to the generous heat meter.

jambo

miFZgjH.gif

Just finished Yakuza 0. Put it off just abit to finish off Zelda first, hot dang what a fucking finale. Chills all throughout, got choked up. Not surprising though that Yakuza's best strength has always been the voice acting, characters, story and writing. Even though you'd think since this is a prequel, there wouldn't be much tension but make no mistake, it has tons of tension and build up thanks to how the series gives time to let almost every character within it shine, both new and old or the ones who are on the side. TOP 5 OF 2017 EASILY.

Not a big fan of the gameplay compared to the other games but I do love the details put into the world as always be it from shops to minigames and the like. Yakuza's world always feel very well realized thanks to that attention to detail. I kind of feel empty now that I've finished it because I've been attached to these characters for a long while and I always look forward to whatever they do next. I wasn't expecting much from it being a prequel but it contained as much surprises, twists and revelations than in any other game, it pretty much set the stage for the rest of the series. It's definitely the perfect time to be a Yakuza fan if you aren't one and if you are, it's great to get a glimpse of the past. Never has been a patch of land been so god damn interesting, so many good moments ranging from big set pieces to small character interactions.

Now putting all that aside, it has one of the most entertaining side missions in an open world game. They mostly devolve into fetch quests of sorts but what makes them special is once again the characters. The world is just jam packed with wonderful colorful characters, each with their unique charms, quirks and story. Man, I could go on and on about how brilliant Yakuza 0 is but I guess I'll close it off with...THAT SOUNDTRACK MAN.

[Soundtrack]

Diving into Horizon and Nier now with the occasional downloadable games from time to time. Good times.

This post made me scroll a lot on mobile.

Stop that.

I don't know if it's because I never really figured out how to play it, but often in Yakuza games when I stun someone (as in they remain motionless lying on the ground, but still have HP), I actually have no idea what to do with them. I could stomp on them a bunch and that will eventually do the job, but it always feels like it's breaking a good flow of the combat.

Although Yakuza 0 does help a bit with this issue due to the generous heat meter.

Often times it depends on the character and the kind of movesets you have with said character.

robotrock

Banned
top voted question is "What goes into a full 8 hour day working at Giantbomb?"

i think vinny answered that really well in here once. maybe it was actually a week instead

Gandie

once they start answering questions, this will make it easier to read
KObnWWS.png

Don't think that will work since they're answering from different accounts. The red flair seems to be helping. Reddit's layout for comments is terrible, this being one of the reasons.

The last time Vinny posted about the work thing, a huge part was filling out expense reports because it was right after GOTY or E3. that isn't a normal work week. Most of it was coming back to stuff that was piled up for a week or two.

Vinny just posted:

Each day is so different but I can speak to some personal things that add up to a full day.
I usually get started around 10-10:30 and get out of here around 7-8:00 if everything has gone well.
Quick Look: 2-3 Hour game prep time. 1 hour recording time. 15-20 minute editing/processing time. 30-45 minute export time. 10 minute uploading and page generation time.
Beastcast: 2 Hour prep time. 2-3 Hour recording time. 45-60 minute editing/processing time. 10-15 minute export time. 30 minute uploading and page generation time.
Live Show: 0-2 Hour game prep time. 0-30 minute studio prep time. 2 hour recording time. 15-20 minute editing/processing time. 1 hour export time. 10 minute uploading and page generation time.
Meetings: 4-6 hours per week.
Email sifting and answering: Endless. It never ends. All day.
Studio Work: See above. But really, it has to be at least 25 percent of my day. Archiving and clearing space, making sure everything works well enough, looking at gear, streaming issues, audio issues, broken gear, cleaning up... etc.
There are tons of things that are special though. Going through the entire process to get new staff, talking with and managing current staff, going over the actual business. All very important to me but also chew away at the day.
My days feel very full, even though a lot of the things that take up my time aren't reflected directly in minutes of viewable content.

Mr. F

Banned
I don't know how many times they could do it before it started to feel stale. But, the stuff Jeff did at NYU was fantastic. Way better than a PAX panel.

Oh yeah, tonally I would way prefer something like that. I pictured a million small PAX panels which kind of feels like a waste of resources. Not to mention everyone has wives/families now, sounds like something that would have been much more feasible at the beginning of the site's life.

does reddit compile all these answers at the end or something? trying to follow along but I keep rereading the same answers when I refresh the page. this site sucks

Top Bottom