• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

I think they could have done justice to an P5 ER.

Would have loved their commentary as it happens but alas.

Hopefully it holds their attention so they can talk about during goty deliberations

Lingitiz

RDR2 Super Mario Odyssey Destiny 2 God of War gotta be some more 'big' games i'm forgetting
Uncharted The Lost Legacy, Cod WW2 and Star Wars Battlefront 2. Also Microsoft's entire lineup (Forza, Crackdown 3 and Sea of Thieves) and probably Pokémon and Smash. GT Sport has to come out at some point too.

CrazyDude

Destiny 2
Red Dead Redemption 2
Mario
COD WWII
Battlefront 2

I think it's definitely front loaded for me personally but those games are probably going to be pretty big

RDR2 and Mario are what I'm interested in, but I am wondering if those game will make it.

I think they could have done justice to an P5 ER.

Would have loved their commentary as it happens but alas.

Hopefully it holds their attention so they can talk about during goty deliberations
Not that many games coming out in the coming months, so there is time for them to play.

Shooty "Tracer" McShootfaces

This is definitely the case. I was honestly surprised how many current problems they decided to tackle. If anyone's interested in knowing the Japanese cultural context for P5 more, check out this twitter thread to know what to research before playing.

Thanks! I'll hold onto this for after I beat it (kinda like how with 3 and 4, I catch the general human take on it, then the specific Japanese ones that flew past me).

So it sounds like Persona 5 is about the young progressive kids being like, "fuck these old racist homophobic dudes in power, we're gonna change the world and look cool doing it!"

sweet i'm super down for that

TraBuch

Banned
I like how Jeff brought in that DDR pad during that one UPF and talked about how much he wanted to play it but then ended up never actually playing it. It's pretty crazy how often Jeff says "We should do something with that" and never actually does anything with that.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Wait, where do you get the homophobic from?

If anything, judging by the Eurogamer review it seemed to have mishandled gay characters again, though it seems thankfully not as badly as how persona 4 treated LGBT themes.

If anything, judging by the Eurogamer review it seemed to have mishandled gay characters again, though it seems thankfully not as badly as how persona 4 treated LGBT themes.

oh ok I was just kinda looking into some of that stuff from the tweets and it mentioned The japan conservative party that is anti gay marriage so I was just kinda guessing that might be part of it

bummer if they mishandle the LGBT stuff.

Tagyhag

Persona 4 could have been so much better about it if they had allowed that Yosuke romance, him teasing Kanji would have made a lot more sense.

I've not watched any persona marketing trailers: is it worth not watching the quick look if I'm already sold on the game? Passing up a Jeff vinny video is hard.

demidar

The P5 QL drastically increased my immediate interest in the game. I was previously not aware of the MC's circumstances.

Still probably won't play it for a while, but yeah.

Tubobutts

I'm devo at no er. I didn't really expect it but the ql is such a good taster
756px-Devo_Energy_Dome.JPG
????

Mr. F

Banned

What? Aw. I never get pandered to.

How did they handle it in P4?

Lunar FC

Way off topic and nobody probably cares. But, I got my skateboard setup completed today and have been riding around campus as much as I can. I guess the first test for how committed I am to this is once I fall.
This is a 10 year old deck that I got when I was a kid but never used. Anybody who watched Rob & Big back im the day should recognize the design.

Zekes!

That Persona 5 quick look is so good

I was on black out for the game, but made an exception for it. Glad it was just the intro

Bummer, the settings for those games is like prime opportunity to explore that stuff in a meaningful way.

At the same time you cant expect much from a Japanese dev. Over there things like being gay are...just there? They dont focus on it, but they just remain silent on it. If its played for laughs or played for a bit, its never built upon.

daveo42

Banned
Way off topic and nobody probably cares. But, I got my skateboard setup completed today and have been riding around campus as much as I can. I guess the first test for how committed I am to this is once I fall.

This is a 10 year old deck that I got when I was a kid but never used. Anybody who watched Rob & Big back im the day should recognize the design.

That's a pretty nice deck. Good luck to you. I tried learning how to skateboard in my teens and never got farther than maintaining my balance on the board. Still sad I never even figured how to work my body right to pull off even a simple ollie.

Antiwhippy

At the same time you cant expect much from a Japanese dev. Over there things like being gay are...just there? They dont focus on it, but they just remain silent on it. If its played for laughs or played for a bit, its never built upon.

Then why parade the themes only to treat it it like some sort of slapstick? It was written so well too before... everything else.

Partly why persona 3 is still better.

daveo42

Banned
I've not watched any persona marketing trailers: is it worth not watching the quick look if I'm already sold on the game? Passing up a Jeff vinny video is hard.

I watched the big announce trailer from a few years ago and one or two of the Nico Nico streams, but I feel like it's been ages since I've seen anything specific to Persona 5. I've avoided the big recent market push too with the character vids and stuff. So close now, no reason to spoil anything even if it's only from the start of the game.

Jintor

It's that fucking thing Japanese developers do where they just casually slip gay/trans/cross-dressing stereotypes in to hit on the protags and then you laugh because haha, culturally funny!

Nope. Just awks

It's a really bad misstep imho.

I wish I could figure out a more nuanced way of saying it than "Japanese Devs" cos I don't want to say it's wholly cultural, but I think it does have to do with the way sex/gay jokes are perceived in mainstream JPN culture.

What kind of trucks did you end up getting? I forgot to recommend Independent.

Lunar FC

That's a pretty nice deck. Good luck to you. I tried learning how to skateboard in my teens and never got farther than maintaining my balance on the board. Still sad I never even figured how to work my body right to pull off even a simple ollie.
Same, I got into it when I was around 12 years old but fell to many times trying to do tricks before I even felt comfortable on it. This time I plan on taking it slow.
Looks good. I fell plenty when I use to skate.
Thanks! I know the second I relax on this thing I am going to hit a rock at go flying.
What kind of trucks did you end up getting? I forgot to recommend Independent.

I looked at some Independents, but ended up going with Venture.

Mr. F

Banned

It's that fucking thing Japanese developers do where they just casually slip gay/trans/cross-dressing stereotypes in to hit on the protags and then you laugh because haha, culturally funny!

Nope. Just awks

It's a really bad misstep imho.

I wish I could figure out a more nuanced way of saying it than "Japanese Devs" cos I don't want to say it's wholly cultural, but I think it does have to do with the way sex/gay jokes are perceived in mainstream JPN culture.

That's shitty. I admit not being aware of how LGBT stuff goes down in Japanese culture so I guess good to have that expectation going in, sad as it is.

I wonder how that stuff factors into localization, and whether the teams involved massage the script to make certain attitudes more palatable to western audiences.

Antiwhippy

I think persona 4 hurt more because they got so close. So, very close.

And I'm not even talking about making kanji gay or naoto trans, they could have followed the arcs they had where they just turned out to be confused straight teens and it would have been fine. But then they made it not fine.

convo

That's shitty. I admit not being aware of how LGBT stuff goes down in Japanese culture so I guess good to have that expectation going in, sad as it is.

I wonder how that stuff factors into localization, and whether the teams involved massage the script to make certain attitudes more palatable to western audiences.

I remember people freaking their shit over it and i don't agree that it's terrible it's just not up to standards . Gay romance options would be a thing Persona fans want but it has not happened so people are dissapointed. Can't say it makes Persona 5 not a fantastic game but i think people should judge it by actually playing the game. Knee-jerk reactions were such a problem when spoilers hit the Persona community thread. It's not as good a statement Yoko Taro makes with the Nier games but i also think people expected way to much from Atlus compared to their affection for the series.

kiguel182

Watching episode 48 of Persona 4 ER and Jeff says a Power Rangers movie will never happen like it did with Transformers. Well, who is laughing now Jeff?!

Top Bottom