• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Zaph

I beat Route A of Nier last night
And found the first hour or so of route B to be a complete snoozefest.

game:Want to know what 9s was doing during the game intro?
Me:Uh...sure?
Game:NOTHING INTERESTING OR FUN TO PLAY!

Game:Want to do a lot more of this shitty hacking mini game?
Me: No not really
Game: TOO BAD!

And Route A was like, 80% boring nothingness, with a couple of hours of awesome.

I'm sure the later playthroughs are worth it...but idk if im gonna make it if B continues to be this dull

The game picks up exponentially as you progress through each Route, but if you thought A was 80% boring, just drop the game. I drop a game if it's even 50% boring.
later zelda

BearPawB

Banned
"A" wasn't so much boring as it was meandering.
I liked exploring the world/learning about what was going on.

But 90% of the sidequests are just absolute filler. There is no defending those side quests. They are all padding, no substance

I liked all the main quests well enough.

But if i was to give route A a score by itself it would probably be like a 7.

kiguel182

Not sure about this play date, I don't want to see Vinnys heart breaking!

Also, Alex is the best yes. Finally more people are seeing it.

"A" wasn't so much boring as it was meandering.
I liked exploring the world/learning about what was going on.

But 90% of the sidequests are just absolute filler. There is no defending those side quests. They are all padding, no substance

I liked all the main quests well enough.

So I'm like 4ish hours into my first play through... I agree that the few sidequests I've done have been pretty stock video game side quests that aren't great and kind of a drag, but I've really enjoyed the main story stuff. So how much of the side stuff should I do? Will I get screwed (level wise) if I don't do much of them, or am I going to miss out on important story stuff?

Alex asking Jeff B if he was edging during the Nier discussion in last week's Beastcast was a highlight for me.

Fuck, I can't wait for this week's episode.

BearPawB

Banned
So I'm like 4ish hours into my first play through... I agree that the few sidequests I've done have been pretty stock video game side quests that aren't great and kind of a drag, but I've really enjoyed the main story stuff. So how much of the side stuff should I do? Will I get screwed (level wise) if I don't do much of them, or am I going to miss out on important story stuff?

I was told by some friends that (CHARACTER SPOILER/you may not have met yet)
Emil's
quests are the ones to definitely not avoid.

And you can do many of them later on apparently so I wouldn't stress over being a completionist

Dineren

Banned
I've enjoyed the side quests for the most part and it doesn't seem like I've had to do much farming for the ones I've done so far (though maybe that will change). It seems like a pretty big improvement over the original Nier at least.

JackEtc

I haven't even ever heard of Lego Worlds, and it looks fun as fuck in this quick look?

and it's only $30? I might pick it up just seeing the quick look.

the snark is strong with this one

indeysvq.gif

oti

Banned
It's a CGI trailer so, ZzZzZzZzZz. It did nothing for me.

Where is all that attitude coming from all of a sudden? They seem really confident in their game if they put everything they've got into the one somewhat not soulless character they have. The trailer is super odd.

I was told by some friends that (CHARACTER SPOILER/you may not have met yet)
Emil's
quests are the ones to definitely not avoid.

And you can do many of them later on apparently so I wouldn't stress over being a completionist

Okay, cool thanks for the info... I'm going to try and play as much as possible before Persona 5 arrives because I know I'll really want to play that when it gets here. Ugh, I haven't even played Horizon yet, so many games!

Destiny 2 trailer didn't do anything for me, but most non gameplay CGI trailers don't... But I guess they didn't have a ton of time to prepare with their game getting leaked.

Lego Worlds looks shockingly fun... But Dan, that is the worst LEGO prison made of thrones built on a pirate ship I have ever seen in my 23 years on the job...

pizzacat

Banned
Destiny 2 will be this year's giant bomb goty

Also id love to play nier because first nier is gdlk but mindless platinum combat? Zzzzzzz

I'll just get it when it's cheap

Also fuck lmao, Jeff g pointing out sony when ps4 was being revealed to sony last year

I want to watch the P5 QL but I don't want to watch the P5 QL. My life is really hard.

It's literally the first 1.5 hours and it's really good. Wouldn't worry about spoilers or anything (except re: P4, which they reference huge spoilers about a few times) so there's no reason not to watch!

Giant Bomb will take care of you.

Salarians

the weird thing about Automata? the main complaints I've seen about the game (mostly dull side quests, combat get repetitive and boring, replaying major portions of the game isn't fun), complaints I agree with, are all present in the original game too

so I'm left wondering why Nier (the superior game imo) got mediocre reviews and Automata is so highly praised 🤔

also Destiny 2 trailer is 🤔

I like Cayde but I think they're trying a little too hard

Meguro

Banned
I'm not gonna let people revision the original Nier as something that was on the same level as Automata in terms of gameplay.
I love the original Nier but just....no. Nononononono.
Automata is a very competent Platinum action game.
Also the sidequests in both games are good.

I'm not gonna let people revision the original Nier as something that was on the same level as Automata in terms of gameplay.

The first Nier had more interesting level design and played with genres better than Automata. The slagging the gameplay gets isn't really warranted.

robotrock

Banned
I like Platinum a lot and came to Automata mainly for Platinum, but I didn't really get so into the combat. It definitely felt a lot more simple than stuff like Metal Gear Rising, Bayonetta, and Transformers.

Weirdly though, I kind of did get way into the hacking stuff in Route B.

Meguro

Banned
The first Nier had more interesting level design and played with genres better than Automata. The slagging the gameplay gets isn't really warranted.

Can't say I agree in the slightest!
Every Taro game up until this point deservedly came with a huge * if you recommended them to someone because they all played like ass.
Again, I love Nier. I even like Drakengard 3.
But very much in spite of how they feel to play.

pizzacat

Banned
the weird thing about Automata? the main complaints I've seen about the game (mostly dull side quests, combat get repetitive and boring, replaying major portions of the game isn't fun), complaints I agree with, are all present in the original game too

so I'm left wondering why Nier (the superior game imo) got mediocre reviews and Automata is so highly praised 🤔

also Destiny 2 trailer is 🤔

I like Cayde but I think they're trying a little too hard
Just give every game that platinum sleaze

so I'm left wondering why Nier (the superior game imo) got mediocre reviews and Automata is so highly praised ��

That's because you don't question Platinum's gameplay and how satisfying it is. Specifically from the A team.

oti

Banned

Salarians

I'll put it like this

Nier's combat starts boring and stays boring
Automata's combat starts fun but eventually gets just as boring as Nier's

I just don't think there was enough depth to sustain what was a fifty hour long game for me

robotrock

Banned

Yeah I kind of can't believe the metacritic for Automata is as high as it is. There's tons of stuff in there to downright hate. Same thing for Horizon as well. I liked both of those games well enough, but definitely surprised by the consensus

Curufinwe

Alex is definitely the duder that grew on me the most.

Especially now that he has the right amount of "fun / dumb" around him.

Until the day he snaps and murders Dan live on the site, of course.

I've enjoyed him ever since he got Vinny out there to bounce off of.

The F&F series was a great idea that created great #content, but he didn't do the greatest job of hosting it. Turning on subtitles so they didn't miss dialogue, and just telling Vinny and Dan to keep watching when they asked spoilery questions instead of kind of answering them, would have been improvements.

Mr. F

Banned
The no screenshot thing for P5 is weird and lame but at the same time I don't remember the last time I touched the share button

Meguro

Banned
I'll put it like this

Nier's combat starts boring and stays boring
Automata's combat starts fun but eventually gets just as boring as Nier's

I just don't think there was enough depth to sustain what was a fifty hour long game for me

This I can at least understand.
I liked it enough to even do
the two secret bosses
but I can see why people could get tired of it.

Also the blocked share thing is kinda a tradition for JP games at this point.
I still remember Future Tone just muting the entire game, making it entirely pointless to share since it's a rhythm game.

Top Bottom