• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Tubobutts

My character looking different in game than in the character creator has been a problem for me in every Bioware game since Mass Effect 1.

Mupod

My character looking different in game than in the character creator has been a problem for me in every Bioware game since Mass Effect 1.

I thought my Shepard looked awesome until he was in actual game lighting and turned to one side. Oh god, kill it with fire.

I lived with his ugly ass until ME2, where I fixed him somewhat but by that point he'd kind of grown on me.

It's mostly the lighting, I think. Dragon Age: Inquisition was really bad about this because you make your character in this weird chaotic void, and then normal lighting makes them look all weird; like, "oh that really DOES stick out a lot."

sk31s66.gif

Kimaka

It's mostly the lighting, I think. Dragon Age: Inquisition was really bad about this because you make your character in this weird chaotic void, and then normal lighting makes them look all weird; like, "oh that really DOES stick out a lot."

You'd think by now they would have lighting options in the CC.

That exact thing happened to me.

Plus once the face starts animating it can look even more weird so what you designed can be extra fucked up if you did something a bit too much with the facial structure.

Wunder

Yeah Bioware games have some harsh fucking lighting. Wish the character creator had multiple environments and maybe emotes you can cycle through. My Ryder looks awful whenever she scrunches her face up, which is like 90% of the time in this game.

You'd think by now they would have lighting options in the CC.

FFXIV is oddly great about this. You can see your character in, like, five different locations with different times of day. (etheral void, bright field, dark night, sunset, etc. Everything!) Also they can take different poses.

The character creation in general in FFXIV is amazing. You can even save your generated characters. Plus all the races look really distinct. I mean yeah, you get covered up in armour instantly, but it all looks really stylish and nice.

...I should really dig into FFXIV's extended trial some time.

robotrock

Banned
What games that are't MMOs have good character creators? i don't doubt that they exist but I don't think I've ever been satisfied with my results

Dragon's Dogma and Sunset Overdrive come to mind

Surprisingly, Wildlands' character creator is alright too

Oh, Dragon's Dogma. That's definitely the winner. Saint's Row 3-4 are close, but appearance has no bearing on how you play which drags it down a bit; also everything is weirdly samey.

Then it's probably the Sims 3-4, with Bioware games at the back of the pack.

Can't really think of any other games that use sliders so intricately.
Too bad they're playing the same parts as West did.

I mean... do the parts ever really change?

Valtýr

When I got to PeeBee in ME:A I was honestly dying for a character with some friggin life to them. SOMETHING.

Then PeeBee was also boring, just in a completely different way.

Valtýr

LMAO Vinny did the same thing I did and accidentally pressed the same button used to get into the Nomad to try and exit... and it KICKS YOU OFF THE PLANET.

BearPawB

Banned
Valtýr;233126567 said:
LMAO Vinny did the same thing I did and accidentally pressed the same button used to get into the Nomad to try and exit... and it KICKS YOU OFF THE PLANET.
Yep I did that in the trial.
What awful design

The menus in general are teeeerrible.

In multiplayer, if your mouse is hovering over the menu items on the right side, the V key will show your loadout. If you're hovering over anyone in the lobby, however, V will vote to kick them.

Valtýr;233126505 said:
When I got to PeeBee in ME:A I was honestly dying for a character with some friggin life to them. SOMETHING.

Then PeeBee was also boring, just in a completely different way.

It's like they had the vaguest idea of a playful character, and just had zero idea how to write that.

tuxfool

Banned
One is a hold for X seconds prompt and the other is a tap. I don't really see the issue, unless you're just randomly holding buttons for fun

You don't put an option that is immediate on the same button as an option that potentially makes you lose your spot (and requires lengthy hoop jumping). The least they could do is a confirmation dialogue box "Do you want to return to the Tempest? Yes/No".

Every

single

piece

of

dialogue

in

this

entire

video

is

terrible
It finally led to armed rebellion. When order was restored, the insurgents were banished. "Exiles," we called them.

In the battle against The Enemy, Proper Nouns were the first casualty. But they were not the last. We call this, "the War."

But for real, the dude that wrote Andromeda worked on a Halo game right? My face can't. It continually, eternally can't.

TraBuch

Banned
Oh my god Alex, what the fuck is up with you and spoilers? Dan and Vinny are talking about a random actor and he just HAS to say "yeah, if he was in these movies, he would be an A-list action star" with a nod and a wink. What the fuck? Why? What does that add?

Top Bottom