• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Is everyone else ok if Nintendo just abandons the 3DS completely now?

Their refusal to do so is keeping me from having any interest in the Switch. The only way I can accept the hybrid idea when I don't want a handheld is if it means they stop making handhelds and other companies stop making handheld games.

I wouldn't be buying one right now either way, but it's not even a consideration as long as they say the Wii U is dead but we'll see about 3ds

oh my god now they're spoiling odyssey by showing all this footage

I want to fucking discover BY MYSELF THAT I CAN DANCE TO THE BOOMBOX

fuck no respect for spoilers

YOU CAN RIDE A PUG

AHHHH

oti

Banned
What? Really?

Bad form, Jeff.

Mass Effect is a setting ripe for exploration, though. The most critically-acclaimed game in the series, Mass Effect 2, was a full-fledged sidequest with next-to-nothing to do with the greater Reaper or Shepard storylines. (And it also works against the narrative cohesion of the entire series, but that's a different discussion.) Like, there's no reason why it needs to be limited to a trilogy at all.

It's all about whether Bioware can focus on the aspects of ME that people want to see. A Turian Citadel detective, for instance.

And I can't agree with the "value games for X or Y" argument, because there's just too many tastes, interests, and values floating around to have any kind of objective measure of a good game. Like, I don't think ME:A is a good game because of it's bugs and general wonkiness; but at the same time, I can forgive all of Deadly Premonition's bugs and wonkiness because I think it is a good game. This kind of stance doesn't make sense, and yet it's the only way games can be.

ME2 improved the gameplay in every way and whilst the main story wasn't anything to write home about the Suicide Mission was THE thing that I will never forget. That to me is its everlasting achievement. Even the third game didn't really justify its existence other than to provide a bad ending. And I'm not talking about the bugs in Andromeda. Maybe it's what other call "Direct to DVD adaptation". Something nobody asked for, something nobody needs. Everything Andromeda does as far as I can tell is to show off Frostbite in a space setting. That's what's left of Mass Effect? I hope not.

And, what if (big if), what if EA had spent all those resources for a new IP instead of Andromeda. I know this point is unfair to make in hindsight and I know how franchises work and all that, but just imagine what could've happened if instead of making the next Mass Effect, they decides to make the NEXT Mass Effect. That could've been really cool.

I'm fully onboard with Parma-san, personally.
ME2 improved the gameplay in every way and whilst the main story wasn't anything to write home about the Suicide Mission was THE thing that I will never forget. That to me is its everlasting achievement. Even the third game didn't really justify its existence other than to provide a bad ending. And I'm not talking about the bugs in Andromeda. Maybe it's what other call "Direct to DVD adaptarion". Something nobody asked for, something nobody needs. Everything Andromeda does as far as I can tell is to show off Frostbite in a space setting. That's what's left of Mass Effect? I hope not.

And, what if (big if), what if EA had spent all those resources into a new IP instead of Andromeda. I know this point is unfair to make in hindsight and I know how franchises work and all that, but just imagine what could've happened if instead of making the next Mass Effect, they decides to make the NEXT Mass Effect. That could've been really cool.
What-if's are just... eh. They are the answer to everything.

It will be interesting to see where Bioware/EA go from ME:A as far as ME is concerned. I guess we'll hear on April 4th.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Just a couple of cool dudes.

qyID1yp.gif

Jeff describing what he liked about Rock Band reminded me of much more rewarding it is learning songs on a real guitar. I enjoyed myself some Guitar Hero back in the day, but the real deal is on another level.

Valtýr;233137089 said:
It looks dumb.

Why couldn't it have been the stage thing, but with regular rock band? Why is the regular rock band stuff in this dark void of nothingness.

Very odd, for sure.

Wunder

I'm fully onboard with Parma-san, personally.

What-if's are just... eh. They are the answer to everything.

It will be interesting to see where Bioware/EA go from ME:A as far as ME is concerned. I guess we'll hear on April 4th.

Are people getting really amped about the April 4th thing? I figured it'd lay out some plans going forward but I wasn't expecting some huge announcement

Jeff describing what he liked about Rock Band reminded me of much more rewarding it is learning songs on a real guitar. I enjoyed myself some Guitar Hero back in the day, but the real deal is on another level.

First song I ever learned to play was Just Like Heaven by The Cure. It was a good feeling. I always say I want to mess around with Rocksmith, but I never get around to it.

Are people getting really amped about the April 4th thing? I figured it'd lay out some plans going forward but I wasn't expecting some huge announcement

I'm not. Just expecting a "we'll fix everything, we promise" kind of letdown, with a vague commitment to the future of the franchise.

Then twelve months later, after six months of continued silence, ME:A support is quietly discontinued as Bioware Austin/Montreal or whatever are demoted to support studio status.

This is EA we're talking about, after all.

First song I ever learned to play was Just Like Heaven by The Cure. It was a good feeling. I always say I want to mess around with Rocksmith, but I never get around to it.

Yep! I remember learning every Death Cab for Cutie song I could in high school because it was so amazing once you got it. The best part is that feeling never goes away! I've always contemplated Rocksmith too. I don't even know how possible it is to play these days. Can you still get the thing that plugs into a real guitar?

Wunder

I'm not. Just expecting a "we'll fix everything, we promise" kind of letdown, with a vague commitment to the future of the franchise.

Then twelve months later, after six months of continued silence, ME:A support is quietly discontinued as Bioware Austin/Montreal or whatever are demoted to support studio status.

This is EA we're talking about, after all.

I'm just hoping for some multiplayer announcement, but watching their last stream I'm not holding my breath

Red UFO

UPF is better than it's been in ages. The dudes talking and discussing the thing that's been played; the worst UPFs were always those busy ones where every body is just chatting shit.

I'm just hoping for some multiplayer announcement, but watching their last stream I'm not holding my breath

I don't think they ever fixed DAI's multiplayer, so yeah. (Although the bugs people've mentioned in ME:A multiplayer are way more fixable than the fundamental awfulness of DAI's MP.)

It's worth keeping in mind that ME3's multiplayer only got so much support because it was weirdly successful. With the toxic word of mouth around ME:A, I wouldn't expect the same kind of reception. But we'll see, I guess.

Yep! I remember learning every Death Cab for Cutie song I could in high school because it was so amazing once you got it. The best part is that feeling never goes away! I've always contemplated Rocksmith too. I don't even know how possible it is to play these days. Can you still get the thing that plugs into a real guitar?

Oh yeah, the physical game still comes with the adapter. They released Rocksmith Remastered in the Fall of last year. Amazon has the game+adapter for less that $40 for the PS4, or you can get the adapter by itself for almost $30.

I think there's a ton of DLC for the game, too.

The price seems pretty good, and I wouldn't mind having another excuse to bring out the guitar for a bit.

Oh yeah, the physical game still comes with the adapter. They released Rocksmith Remastered in the Fall of last year. Amazon has the game+adapter for less that $40 for the PS4, or you can get the adapter by itself for almost $30.

I think there's a ton of DLC for the game, too.

The price seems pretty good, and I wouldn't mind having another excuse to bring out the guitar for a bit.

Added it to my list to keep an eye on. Looks like the PC version has dropped as low as $23 in the past year.

mhanna49

Neo Member
Valtýr;233137089 said:

I like your avatar. Night of the Stormrider is my favorite IE album!

I'm glad they haven't taken any calls today. I really don't care what joe blow wants to know about breaking into the video games business.

rip endurance run

Since it doesn't look like they are doing a Quick Look for MLB The Show 17 (they typically do one on release day), I wonder if Jeff will check out Retro Mode on UPF this week. He seemed hyped on it when it was announced at PSX last year.

They are. They got have a copy.

Top Bottom