• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Does Waypoint have a video series of Patrick covering his eyes while watching Mass Effect fucking yet?

Speaking of Waypoint, when the team-up of Patrick and Austin was announced, it felt like we'd get a lot of newsy stuff from them (like they both did at their former respective sites). It seemed like a dream team up. It seems only Jason from Kotaku is the one still breaking news (at least that's what it feels like to me). Sure, you can't just force news, but Waypoint to this point (unless I missed something) has not been a place for breaking news.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Speaking of Waypoint, when the team-up of Patrick and Austin was announced, it felt like we'd get a lot of newsy stuff from them (like they both did at their former respective sites). It seemed like a dream team up. It seems only Jason from Kotaku is the one still breaking news (at least that's what it feels like to me). Sure, you can't just force news, but Waypoint to this point (unless I missed something) has not been a place for breaking news.

Eh, i think the newsy stuff is overstated. It's not like they were breaking news all the time anyway. They do go to a lot more in depth on games and the culture of gaming.

Currently watching this Mass Effect Playdate and

WHAT IN THE FLYING FUCK IS WRONG WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER'S FACE?

LOL

7l0LVFZ.gif

Welcome to hell.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Austin has talked a bit about not wanting to tear into ME:A too much because he doesn't want to rain on people's parades (and also he's sounded more disappointed than angry), and I get that, but I really wish he would anyway because basically everything I've seen of MEA, every cutscene, every dialogue interaction, every piece of worldbuilding, has been badly written, and badly written in some very specific ways that I would love to listen to him go into. All of this looks badly written in a way that is so clearly patched together from disparate tropes, references, and "the things you include in a video game". The whole thing feels like a shallow simulacra, like an alien who watched a bunch of hoo-man sci-fi and tried to create their own. I'm not going to say that this is because that entire team was made of bad writers, because the development history of this thing sounds like a bit of a mess, but what they have produced seems like a bad work of writing.

Tbh the warning signs were there with Andromeda.

Just bad mojo surrounded that game that I feel was ignored because yo it's Mass Effect they couldn't possibly fuck it up.

I really enjoyed this film and forties and I, like Vinny and Dan, am not mad at Alex for minor spoilers about these goofy movies.

Like geez I don't understand being mad at Alex. He's not ruining the movies.

Oh no he said that Statham was Shaw's brother god he ruined everything ahhhhhhh

Just bad mojo surrounded that game that I feel was ignored because yo it's Mass Effect they couldn't possibly fuck it up.

I was getting bad feelings when they revealed that the new and exciting galaxy you go to has bad guy humanoid shootbang enemies with assault rifles.

I really enjoyed this film and forties and I, like Vinny and Dan, am not mad at Alex for minor spoilers about these goofy movies.

Like geez I don't understand being mad at Alex. He's not ruining the movies.

Oh no he said that Statham was Shaw's brother god he ruined everything ahhhhhhh

Alex is fine. I think Vinny gets sidetracked too much about the logistics of things like who's paying the mortgage on Dom's house and shit and he starts talking over story scenes about things that happened two minutes ago. And then he gets lost about the plot cause he wasn't paying attention. Dan pays better attention. Speaking of Vinny obsessing over logistics, I'm surprised he didn't make a connection from the Chip Gun and the Claw Gun in 2F2F.

Salarians

their unwillingness to show the game at all was a big one

DA:I was shown pretty consistently, I even remember watching some prerelease twitch streams with the devs

whereas we didn't get ME:A gameplay until, what, VGX last December?

the whole thing just bums me out
why Mass Effect? :(

Austin has talked a bit about not wanting to tear into ME:A too much because he doesn't want to rain on people's parades (and also he's sounded more disappointed than angry), and I get that, but I really wish he would anyway because basically everything I've seen of MEA, every cutscene, every dialogue interaction, every piece of worldbuilding, has been badly written, and badly written in some very specific ways that I would love to listen to him go into. All of this looks badly written in a way that is so clearly patched together from disparate tropes, references, and "the things you include in a video game". The whole thing feels like a shallow simulacra, like an alien who watched a bunch of hoo-man sci-fi and tried to create their own. I'm not going to say that this is because that entire team was made of bad writers, because the development history of this thing sounds like a bit of a mess, but what they have produced seems like a bad work of writing.
I truly wish to understand how the writing in ME:A got greenlit. Every "character" is a vending machine of dialog rather than, you know, a real person. The Old Republic was kinda like this, but even it had flashes of genuine brilliance in the writing department. MEA's state is downright unbecoming for Bioware, and would be baffling for anyone else.

Hope there's some kind of post-mortem, but I kinda doubt EA is into that sort of thing.

Also, yeah, it absolutely deserves to be tarred and feathered for the writing alone. There's zero reason to reward them for such a mess. Like, not calling it out is unfair to the developers that actually try to deliver great writing in their games.

And for the record, I haven't played ME:A. But kind of want to, just to see how deep the bad writing rabbithole goes. Deep down, however... My face knows the truth.

I was getting bad feelings when they revealed that the new and exciting galaxy you go to has bad guy humanoid shootbang enemies with assault rifles.

Alex is fine. I think Vinny gets sidetracked too much about the logistics of things like who's paying the mortgage on Dom's house and shit and he starts talking over story scenes about things that happened two minutes ago. And then he gets lost about the plot cause he wasn't paying attention. Dan pays better attention. Speaking of Vinny obsessing over logistics, I'm surprised he didn't make a connection from the Chip Gun and the Claw Gun in 2F2F.

yea totally, all these people have faults cuz they're people. I just think it's a little insane to critique the crew's ability to watch a movie good.

they're getting drunk and having fun, so have fun with them is all I'm saying

Chuck

Still without luck
Alex talked about his drug induced high school rave over the most important single line in the series.

This is unforgivable.

yea totally, all these people have faults cuz they're people. I just think it's a little insane to critique the crew's ability to watch a movie good.

they're getting drunk and having fun, so have fun with them is all I'm saying

Oh I can't hate Vinny. I just want them to not miss the cool and funny stuff.

nah you're good bro :)

I just felt like reading through the thread to see peeps talking about how good this film and forties was cuz I had a blast watching it but all I saw were dudes complaining about Alex which was a bummer

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

But they are having fun...wanting people to catch all the little tidbits that you want is one of the most annoying things to happen when watching a movie for the first time with someone who loves it.

darksagus

Vinny's flabbergasted reactions to Tej and the Rock and the crazy outlandish stuff going on is my favorite thing about this series.

hamchan

Oh good I fell asleep and died during the start of Nier Automaton's B route and it didn't make me play from the very start again.

Fevaweva

It wasn't until 7 where i finally remembered what Ludacris' name was in the F&F films and that's is just because they kept saying it. Something about his character never really stuck with me, he just seems like what Ludacris is like in real life but a tech genius (that part of his character probably has the best reveal ever, though).

G-Pink

Just did the faithful Film & 40's experience.

Don't understand how Alex ruined anything or was annoying or spoiled anything. Don't get that there was too much chatter, it was very similar to the other movies in tone and commentary.

They did a great job, I enjoyed the hell out of that movie (1st watch on my part).

I've seen the 7th movie, but I can't remember much, except I totally cried at the end. Looking forward to seeing it again next week.

Just did the faithful Film & 40's experience.

Don't understand how Alex ruined anything or was annoying or spoiled anything. Don't get that there was too much chatter, it was very similar to the other movies in tone and commentary.

They did a great job, I enjoyed the hell out of that movie (1st watch on my part).

I've seen the 7th movie, but I can't remember much, except I totally cried at the end. Looking forward to seeing it again next week.

Alex said there kinda maybe definitely were some tears shed during the recording.

Lunar FC

What's the best vid on the site from the past three days that I should watch?

Also, I thought Ghost in the Shell was pretty alright.

Tubobutts

Why isn't this on YouTube? I wanted to split screen it on my phone so I can browse gaf at the same time like the attention lacking millennial that I am. 🙄🙄🙄
Altus won't let them put it on YouTube for some reason.

Well there's your reason.

Top Bottom