• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Wunder

Eeeeh, a brawler is gonna be a brawler. It's not super deep but it's fun to just beat up fools. I never thought they got that repetitive. It would help if Dan actually had some patience.

It might be better if they actually passed the controller around.

I think it would be way more infuriating if they passed the controller around

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Eeeeh, a brawler is gonna be a brawler. It's not super deep but it's fun to just beat up fools. I never thought they got that repetitive. It would help if Dan actually had some patience.

It might be better if they actually passed the controller around.

And imagine how much more fun it can be if they made the heat prompts less finicky. :p

Zocano

Sure but it would also help if Dan actually swapped styles. I'm not a huge fan of the 3 style split but they'd at least see more of the heat moves that way. The best ones are in Beast style and Dan will probably never try it.

Wunder

Sure but it would also help if Dan actually swapped styles. I'm not a huge fan of the 3 style split but they'd at least see more of the heat moves that way. The best ones are in Beast style and Dan will probably never try it.

Beast style is the bomb, especially since Dan ends up picking up items off the street a lot anyway

Dan is turning on the combat system ):

It's not very complex but it's not the free floating and super reactive systems of Bayonetta or Nier or w/e
Isn't that what the Rush style is though? Constantly reacting to enemy attacks using dodge/weave? Though it also has the fewest and most finicky heat actions.

I seem to recall Dan thinks Beast is too slow though. I guess he basically wants Beast's move set with Rush speed.

Y'all are nuts, Yakuza's combat system is fine
I guess it depends on what you want out of them. I don't really have the reflexes to get good at the super fast Platinum games and such, so the somewhat more deliberate pace of the Yakuza combat and gentle learning curve suits me fine. In Yakuza 4 I got to the point where I could beat the Legendary Blue Dragon with Tanimura and Akiyama, which was pretty satisfying.

I have mixed feeling about Yakuza 0 though, the multiple styles and everything being dependent on heat level made it a bit more complicated then I'd like. I prefer being certain that a heat action will trigger as long as I'm in the right position.

It's "fine", but the series have never really graduated beyond that considering how much of it you have to do.
Eh, I feel there's a fair bit too it when you do the tougher fights. Optional stuff like Amon in particular requires you to know what you're doing and know how to use more than just the basic combos.

Zocano

It's hard to beat Majima's amazing fighting styles
especially his fourth
so I don't blame them for feeling weird hopping back to Kiryu. It doesn't help that you really get into a story groove with Majima and get dumped back on to Kiryu.

I have mixed feeling about Yakuza 0 though, the multiple styles and everything being dependent on heat level made it a bit more complicated then I'd like. I prefer being certain that a heat action will trigger as long as I'm in the right position.
Yah like I said a couple posts back, I'm personally not a huge fan of them splitting the gameplay between the three styles and having style switching not be super on the fly (like DMC3 vs DMC4). Yakuza 3 and 4 were super fun cause you didn't have to break up a fight's flow to just do a different heat move. The completely unique fighting flows is really great but it can be a bit weird to get it in your head to actively switch styles.

Mupod

If you never graduate beyond mashing square then sure it gets repetitive. I know that's Dan's MO but I don't understand why you wouldn't at least explore some of the stuff you get.

xDQ8F7Y.gif

Majima got a little boring by the end because his secret style sucks outside of one heat move, and slugger just destroys everything. But Kiryu's Beast style and secret style are tons of fun to play. Beast for example has a special heat action that basically ends any fight against regular mooks in a cutscene, but you need to land a few hits at the start of the fight without taking any damage. Constantly trying to pull that off was fun.

Zocano

Oops. That is an actual gameplay spoiler I have spoiled but it's not super bad. I've only been talking about the combat system and the duders have kinda just been in a lull this episode story wise and gameplay wise.

Tunoku

After catching up on UPF, I now realize that the time from Mario Galaxy to Odyssey is almost the same amount of time as Mario 64 to Galaxy. I hipe it's at least within throwing distance of their quality.

Given that 3D World is a better game than Galaxy, I am confident that they can pull it off.

Hindl

BotW will rightfully win best moment or sequence.

You know, for the entire game.

Mt Lanayru or the first time you go across lake Hylia at night

I like the actual character of Zelda in BoTW. There's actually a character here. For the franchise that's amazing. In the grander scheme of video games it's laughable of course.

Would be super fun if Zelda won best new character though lol.

Yeah VO aside I really liked her character. Her self doubt, her initial jealousy of link and development, and even reading her diary and learning the reason link was silent was cool

Wunder

Majima got a little boring by the end because his secret style sucks outside of one heat move, and slugger just destroys everything. But Kiryu's Beast style and secret style are tons of fun to play. Beast for example has a special heat action that basically ends any fight against regular mooks in a cutscene, but you need to land a few hits at the start of the fight without taking any damage. Constantly trying to pull that off was fun.

Yup, Beast style is a fucking killer once you get the damage retention upgrades. Not only are you insanely tanky but you also deal the best cleave heat moves and regular attacks. I tried to get into Breaker or Thug with Majima but Slugger was just way too easy/fun to use to not keep using it. Never really got that into the other weapons though

oti

Banned
Given that 3D World is a better game than Galaxy, I am confident that they can pull it off.
wow

Mt Lanayru or the first time you go across lake Hylia at night

Yeah VO aside I really liked her character. Her self doubt, her initial jealousy of link and development, and even reading her diary and learning the reason link was silent was cool
I haven't finished the game yet but I really like this angle. And her German VO is great imo.

Antiwhippy

Mmm, I can already tell that the comments for the BitE video is going to head a certain direction.

Well Nier Automata route B seemed absolutely pointless. At least I'm onto the new stuff now.

You finished B yet? It adds a lot more context for what it precedes.

hamchan

I did finish B. I thought it was fine but mostly DMC4 style filler with some new tidbits here and there before reaching the real 2nd half meat of the game, which I still have to play through.

I enjoyed the 2nd playthrough of the original Nier more since the twist at the end of the first playthrough made you see the same events with a different, more messed up perspective.

Antiwhippy

Yeah I can see that. B route of nier:A reveals less in comparison, but I'll let you play through C to judge if B made it more meaningful. Did for me, though from what I gathered it might have more effect on people who weren't super familiar with the original?

Houndi101

It might feel super fun while holding the controller but goddamn Vinny jumping and warping in the Andromeda playdate grinds my gears.. the lightning storm in the beginning didn't help either.

Tunoku

you don't have to wave that controversial fact around

it's not like it's incorrect or something

I'm not dunking on Galaxy, the game is fantastic, and 2 is even better. 3D World just resonated with me more because it felt more streamlined and I generally prefer 2D platformers over 3D ones.
I'm glad they're going in the completely opposite direction with Odyssey though. I'd say that Galaxy isn't even that comparable to 64 either; level design is super linear most of the time, especially contrasted with 64.

Dineren

Banned
I did finish B. I thought it was fine but mostly DMC4 style filler with some new tidbits here and there before reaching the real 2nd half meat of the game, which I still have to play through.

I enjoyed the 2nd playthrough of the original Nier more since the twist at the end of the first playthrough made you see the same events with a different, more messed up perspective.

B reminded me of the C route from the first game. If it hadn't been required to get to the rest of the endings I probably would have skipped it. It didn't help that (route b spoiler)
I didn't particularly like playing as 9S. The hacking minigames were fun at first, but got really old by the end
. That said it was worth the slog to get to the rest of it. It is an amazing game.

Nier ending E spoilers.

I got up to the 8-4 part of the credits before having to get help.

That whole sequence was amazing. It was hard for me to hit no at the end when it asked if I wanted to help others.

I'm not dunking on Galaxy, the game is fantastic, and 2 is even better. 3D World just resonated with me more because it felt more streamlined and I generally prefer 2D platformers over 3D ones.
I'm glad they're going in the completely opposite direction with Odyssey though. I'd say that Galaxy isn't even that comparable to 64 either; level design is super linear most of the time, especially contrasted with 64.

sorry I wasn't being sarcastic

3D World is totally the best 3D Mario

B reminded me of the C route from the first game. If it hadn't been required to get to the rest of the endings I probably would have skipped it. It didn't help that (route b spoiler)
I didn't particularly like playing as 9S. The hacking minigames were fun at first, but got really old by the end
. That said it was worth the slog to get to the rest of it. It is an amazing game.

That whole sequence was amazing. It was hard for me to hit no at the end when it asked if I wanted to help others.
E-ending related
I want to do more stuff like read the flavor text for everything and I hope you dont have to do that ending again for the option to "help". the idea of killing more users who are helping me out has weight.

I have completly fallen off of the Beast in the East am I the only one, I didn't watch last weeks episode and prob won't this week? I am not sure why

patapuf

I have completly fallen off of the Beast in the East am I the only one, I didn't watch last weeks episode and prob won't this week? I am not sure why

It's very long and due to having to read the subtitles it doesn't work as well as "background game" as others do.

Top Bottom