• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Zornack

Considering the fanbase, it's almost alarming how little Persona 3 and 4 force the "dating sim" aspect on you. It's entirely optional.

Hell, the cutscenes all act like everyone is just friends anyway

morehugs.png

"just friends"

Hindl

Considering the fanbase, it's almost alarming how little Persona 3 and 4 force the "dating sim" aspect on you. It's entirely optional.

Hell, the cutscenes all act like everyone is just friends anyway

Well Persona didn't really blow up till 4, and all the waifu stuff didn't really start until after 4 came out and they started doing all the spinoffs

Wunder

Bakalar is the secret weapon.

If they set the rules so that it's a 3v1 and Dan has to beat all of them to win while only one of them has to defeat Dan once, then they may have a chance.

My Anime comment was just a poor attempt at being funny.

Yeah it sounds cool, and I think I need more Japanese games in my life, the last one I played was Bloodborne haha.

When I get over my open world/time consuming game fatigue I'll buy Yakuza 0 and start from there.

GOOD choice

Hey duders, hoping one of you with a better memory than me can help.

At my buddies for the next few days and looking for some games to play. I'm trying to remember a game that Dan and Danny played a lot of a year or two ago. It was like a versus tower defense thing, 2d side on where you had capture resource points then build defense and offense structures.

Wunder

Hey duders, hoping one of you with a better memory than me can help.

At my buddies for the next few days and looking for some games to play. I'm trying to remember a game that Dan and Danny played a lot of a year or two ago. It was like a versus tower defense thing, 2d side on where you had capture resource points then build defense and offense structures.

Cannon Brawl?

daveo42

Banned
That gamer clothes thread didn't help my wallet...ended up grabbing a few things:

Three shirts for the price of two and that hoodie is totally worth it. Hope they get some Persona 5 stuff in at some point.

A pretty mellow BITE episode this time around, not surprising though since Dan's sick and they're kind of at the slow part of the game now which I appreciated and really enjoyed. I'm glad the developers jumped from character to character because they were able to maintain that tension and curiosity between the two characters very well as they added all that good depth.

---

Someone better have uploaded that scene with hearts on fire underneath.

Edit because I needed to see if someone actually did that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYXOMWGnKD4

vvbsmoj2.gif

6 year old Aloy look very odd? Baby Aloy and late teen/adult Aloy looked normal.

Yeah, there is some uncanny valley shit going on but nothing too distracting because everything else is extremely well done.

I got tired really fast of Yakuza 0s combat.
Probably also why I don't like the last chapter as much as most people.

The people who love the last chapter has nothing to do with the combat, believe me.

Given that 3D World is a better game than Galaxy, I am confident that they can pull it off.

lkj45qvt.gif

I have completly fallen off of the Beast in the East am I the only one, I didn't watch last weeks episode and prob won't this week? I am not sure why

I was on board from day one and after finishing the game I'm even more on board now. Can't wait till they get to the later stuff.

Hjod

Banned
Are we getting a This is the run where Vinny tries to beat Dan in Soul Caliber? They talked about it on the latest Beastcast.

What are the odds? I would love to see that.

Megasoum

Banned
I was on board from day one and after finishing the game I'm even more on board now. Can't wait till they get to the later stuff.

Funny, I'm the exact opposite. I was super into it while I was playing the game but now that I finished it and moved on to other games I kinda don't care about the show anymore.

Mr. F

Banned
I'm still enjoying Zelda but I think I'm psyching myself out a bit with comparing the universal praise to my own experience and wondering why I don't feel more strongly for what is essentially my favourite series. I like it quite a bit, but there are a few key spots where it doesn't quite 'hit' for me or resonate as much as I would like. Some of the sentiments in that thread about people sharing why they still prefer other Zelda games to BoTW hits a lot of it on the head.

For me it's namely the dungeon thing, enemy variety in the open world, story progression issues, and lack of memorable characters and definition to the world outside a select few cases. It was kind of puzzling to think how despite the tech limitations, Majoras Mask and Ocarina of Time felt like a more defined and cohesive world than the Hyrule in BoTW. Maybe that contrast is the point since it's somewhat of a post-apocolypse, but I was hoping the open world meant more pockets of civilization than what was ultimately there (it feels like the entirety of Hyrule has <200 citizens all told). Kind of takes the wind out of exploration sails.

Should be noted that I'm 35ish hours in with a few regions left to explore so maybe that changes, but yeah. I don't regret the purchase by any means and I appreciate the risk they're taking but I'll be interested to see where the series goes after this. Somewhere between old and new approaches will ultimately be the sweet spot, I think.

So I just got ending
E
in Neir: A and while that last bit while the
credits were rolling
was absolutely awesome and probably my favorite gaming moment this year, but overall I have to say that the game is a big disappointment for me.

The story was very interesting, but the video game part is sub-par for me.
Just going to spoiler tag my thoughts to be safe...
-Very boring open world that looks like PS3 era.
-Dodge mechanic was very "mushy" didn't feel tight like Bayonetta for example
-Having 80% of the 2nd playthrough be a copy/paste of the first is incredibly tedious and boring
-The side quests that I did were very uninspiring and seemed like they were straight out of an MMO
-Takes way to long to switch your chips out. (when you find your previous dead body why is the default option "No" when it asks if you want to re-equip your chips??? That caught me a few times)
-You have to fight the same enemies WAAAYYYY to many times towards the end of the 3rd playthrough, going up the white tower was so incredibly boring by the end.
I just wanted it to be over with.

If this game was closer to 20 hours instead of 40 I would have liked it a lot more, but there's just too much filler and padding for my tastes.

I say it's my most disappointing game so far this year because of how excited I was heading into it vs. how I feel about it now that I'm done. I know I'm in the minority on this... But hearing all the praise on GAF and hearing people like Patrick Kelepek say it's a top 10 game OF ALL TIME just isn't what I experienced.

I'm still enjoying Zelda but I think I'm psyching myself out a bit with comparing the universal praise to my own experience and wondering why I don't feel more strongly for what is essentially my favourite series. I like it quite a bit, but there are a few key spots where it doesn't quite 'hit' for me or resonate as much as I would like. Some of the sentiments in that thread about people sharing why they still prefer other Zelda games to BoTW hits a lot of it on the head.

For me it's namely the dungeon thing, enemy variety in the open world, story progression issues, and lack of memorable characters and definition to the world outside a select few cases. It was kind of puzzling to think how despite the tech limitations, Majoras Mask and Ocarina of Time felt like a more defined and cohesive world than the Hyrule in BoTW. Maybe that contrast is the point since it's somewhat of a post-apocolypse, but I was hoping the open world meant more pockets of civilization than what was ultimately there (it feels like the entirety of Hyrule has <200 citizens all told). Kind of takes the wind out of exploration sails.

Should be noted that I'm 35ish hours in with a few regions left to explore so maybe that changes, but yeah. I don't regret the purchase by any means and I appreciate the risk they're taking but I'll be interested to see where the series goes after this. Somewhere between old and new approaches will ultimately be the sweet spot, I think.

I agree for the most part. I wish they had leaned more into the "ruins of Hyrule" aspect. I know it's perhaps cheap to just reference the old games, but they had such an opportunity to do that in a really incredible way. Things like the
ruins of Lon Lon Ranch
are so evocative, but the vast majority of references to other Zelda games are just names of areas.

.JayZii

Banned
I would kill for that Yasogami High hoodie without the back decal, but I still might grab one. Just the Y H and the houndstooth inside the hood looks great.

If they really felt like they needed it, they could've just made the crest way smaller and put it at the bottom right in the back or something.

mintyice

Committing yourself to an Endurance Run/play through/Let's play before you've played the game is a bold move. No way they'll actually play all the Yakuza games this decade.

I totally understand where you're coming from on this. I think there's a thread already saying this, but I hope they do pull a Majora's Mask and use this exact same tech and do something crazy or different but still use the same engine. Like a more traditional Zelda game, but with the tech of BotW would sure be interesting to see.

So I just got ending
E
in Neir: A and while that last bit while the
credits were rolling
was absolutely awesome and probably my favorite gaming moment this year, but overall I have to say that the game is a big disappointment for me.

The story was very interesting, but the video game part is sub-par for me.
Just going to spoiler tag my thoughts to be safe...
-Very boring open world that looks like PS3 era.
-Dodge mechanic was very "mushy" didn't feel tight like Bayonetta for example
-Having 80% of the 2nd playthrough be a copy/paste of the first is incredibly tedious and boring
-The side quests that I did were very uninspiring and seemed like they were straight out of an MMO
-Takes way to long to switch your chips out. (when you find your previous dead body why is the default option "No" when it asks if you want to re-equip your chips??? That caught me a few times)
-You have to fight the same enemies WAAAYYYY to many times towards the end of the 3rd playthrough, going up the white tower was so incredibly boring by the end.
I just wanted it to be over with.

If this game was closer to 20 hours instead of 40 I would have liked it a lot more, but there's just too much filler and padding for my tastes.

I say it's my most disappointing game so far this year because of how excited I was heading into it vs. how I feel about it now that I'm done. I know I'm in the minority on this... But hearing all the praise on GAF and hearing people like Patrick Kelepek say it's a top 10 game OF ALL TIME just isn't what I experienced.

I'm in a similar camp as you. The final ending was executed wonderfully and really elevated the game, but while the rest of the game was good, I was feeling a bit disappointed with it before the very end. Though I think It would have impacted me more if I hadn't played the first Nier, Automata really feels like something that works better standalone.

Fireblend

Banned
I tried to buy some shirts from The Yetee the other day but they cancelled my order because I gave a package forwarding service as my shipping address... which is what I use to order stuff from the US so that it gets delivered to my country easily. Sucks that they do that, but I've encountered similar sites over the years and I guess it's some fraud protection method :(

I totally understand where you're coming from on this. I think there's a thread already saying this, but I hope they do pull a Majora's Mask and use this exact same tech and do something crazy or different but still use the same engine. Like a more traditional Zelda game, but with the tech of BotW would sure be interesting to see.

Yes! Absolutely. I want a smaller Zelda game after BotW, akin to Link's Awakening following the release of Link to the Past.

Meguro

Banned
Automata is probably the best thing I've played this year so *shrug*.
At least the sidequests in Automata had great writing unlike sidequests in almost every other videogame.
Which reminds me of my biggest problem I have with people describing The Witcher 3 and its content.
They were all the same type of quests as well! They weren't special at all.

Hindl

I dunno, I agree with all of your points, BotW is not a perfect game. It has plenty of flaws that become more apparent the longer you play. Jeff summed up my feelings on the game, the story stuff and villages have been my least favorite parts of the game while I loved the exploring and shit. So I'm not sure having more civilization would've helped, although outside of the main dungeon stuff I enjoyed the side stories in villages. But out exploring you run into the lack of enemy variety and the fact that most explorations just end in a shrine or Korok seed. The first 40 or so hours of the game were awe-inspiring because it was all new, and then after that you begin to generally know what to expect from the world. But still, even 70 hours in I was surprised by stuff, just not as much.

It just makes me excited for the next one since they could fix a lot of those issues. BotW still may be my favorite game ever though, we'll see how I cool on it as I get further away from playing it

I tried to buy some shirts from The Yetee the other day but they cancelled my order because I gave a package forwarding service as my shipping address... which is what I use to order stuff from the US so that it gets delivered to my country easily. Sucks that they do that, but I've encountered similar sites over the years and I guess it's some fraud protection method :(

Hmm weird, I usually use a freight forwarder service as well when I was in Kuwait whenever I wanted to buy stuff online. Maybe you should contact them, their customer service in my experience have been good to great so far.

Top Bottom