• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Fireblend

Banned
I loved playing through Yakuza 0 and have so many moments I want to see their reactions for that I'm pretty much guaranteed to watch them play through the whole thing.

Curufinwe

Me too. It's hard to multi-task with Yakuza 0. It needs constant attention because of the subtitle situation.

I have it on while I get ready for work in the morning. I miss most of the story because it's not dubbed, but the VAD reactions are fun enough for me to keep listening.

Hindl

sorry I wasn't being sarcastic

3D World is totally the best 3D Mario

I'm not willing to go that far, but 3D World is criminally, criminally underrated. It's one flaw is that it didn't get challenging until Bowser World, which is way too late

Also as an aside, I felt so vindicated when Nintendo talked about Odyssey and their idea of the two types of Mario games, and Galaxy and 3DW being the same tree. People shat all over 3D World for being linear simple levels and then held up Galaxy games as what they should be, and I was completely confused. The Galaxy games are just as linear as 3D World, it's just that you're zooming around to different planets (not even controlling Mario during this) so it feels open. I think it's because you return to the same galaxy for multiple levels that people think it's so open, but the those paths are only ever open for one of the levels. Go back to the Galaxy in a different level and you won't have that path. 3D World is absolutely a continuation of what Galaxy started, it just takes from the 3D land "Let's blend 2D and 3D Mario design" and that blinded people

Mr. F

Banned
The level of challenge didn't bother me at all when it came to 3D World, it was just purely an incredibly fun experience and a joy to play with friends. I place it up there in 3D marios for sure, behind galaxy.

Meguro

Banned
I still do not like 3D World.
It's heresy, I know.
But the levels just felt...too open for me funny enough.
I'd have prefered a straight up 2D platformer like 3D Land.

Mr. F

Banned
3D World is whatever superlative you want to say. It's so much fun with friends, whether they play games regularly or not.

Jeff be damned, playing multiplayer in uni with the NSMB games and 3D world might be the most fun I've had with video games (definitely the hardest I've laughed).

I am enjoying Beast in the East a lot, definitely something I look forward to every week.

I watched F&40s for Fast Five and man that movie and their commentary was so good haha. I was cracking up during so many moments in that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Y'all are nuts, Yakuza's combat system is fine

nah i love the series and the combat is easily the worst part

its just grindy and dull and any 'challenge' is met by items instead. a lot of the boss fights have bullshit armor too and not actual proper patterns/reads

Curufinwe

My GotY list so far is.

1. Nioh
2. Nier Automata
3. RE7

Other games I'm sure will make my top 10 are P5, Horizon and Wipeout Omega. It is truly the best time to be playing videogames.

when does persona 5 drop in the states? i'm EST as well

thinking about trading in a couple of wii u games (i have them all) to subset the cost of the PRO... just not sure which games i could comfortably get rid of. p sure that's telling that i shouldn't sell 'em!

Dineren

Banned
Is it easy to permanently screw yourself in Persona games? I'm always worried if I don't manage my time right I'll end up in a situation where I can't finish the game.

After the QL I'm really wanting to know what happens next.

Zornack

My GotY list so far is.

1. Nioh
2. Nier Automata
3. RE7

Other games I'm sure will make my top 10 are P5, Horizon and Wipeout Omega. It is truly the best time to be playing videogames.

That's a list right there. Slap on some Hollow Knight and we're good to go.

Fireblend

Banned
Is it easy to permanently screw yourself in Persona games? I'm always worried if I don't manage my time right I'll end up in a situation where I can't finish the game.

After the QL I'm really wanting to know what happens next.

Not really. Maybe miss some events or scenes, but you always get plenty of time for the "timed" events and worst case scenario you'll just have to grind a bit. I don't think you can get stuck in any meaningful way that can't be corrected or something.

Hjod

Banned
Now, please don't get mad. But I've always been curious why Persona games are so big around here (GAF). I've never played one, I've watched some of the ER of P4 and the QL of P5 and I just don't get it.

Is it the story, the combat, what is it? Please help me understand.

It's the Anime, isn't it?

Catvoca

Banned
Please refrain from low key bragging until 12am EST thank you

Seriously. Just got shipping confirmation on my copy, hoping it comes tomorrow but it'll probably be Wednesday I reckon 😬

Now, please don't get mad. But I've always been curious why Persona games are so big around here (GAF). I've never played one, I've watched some of the ER of P4 and the QL of P5 and I just don't get it.

Story, characters, music, styyyyyle. Why don't you read some P5 reviews to get a picture of why people like them? The guardian one seems good.

Hindl

Story, world, characters, and it's got styyyyylee. Plus it avoids the melodrama your average JRPG protagonists go thru. Persona 4 in particular is notably upbeat compared to the norm

The P4 protagonist can have a dream where both him and the girl he likes are wrestling while wearing luchador masks.
What more does it need?

It's fun, it's deep enough for a game plot / set of characters, it's anime, looks and sounds great. It's an epic journey (70 - 100 hours) with a close group of characters through good and bad times.
I dunno. It's late teenage japanese Scooby Doo - it's a blast.

Hjod

Banned
Story, world, characters, and it's got styyyyylee. Plus it avoids the melodrama your average JRPG protagonists go thru. Persona 4 in particular is notably upbeat compared to the norm

Ah ok, yeah I saw it had styyyyylee, I just seemed like alot of talking for the kind of game I thought Persona was.

The P4 protagonist can have a dream where both him and the girl he likes are wrestling while wearing luchador masks.
What more does it need?

It's fun, it's deep enough for a game plot / set of characters, it's anime, looks and sounds great. It's an epic journey (70 - 100 hours) with a close group of characters through good and bad times.
I dunno. It's late teenage japanese Scooby Doo - it's a blast.

Haha, I like that analogy, japanese Scooby Doo.

The art style, music and the fact that I love JRPGs really help, but for me it's definitely the story. I'm really into narratives with big casts that focus on character interaction, and Persona games do that incredibly well. Every character has an interesting backstory that gets explored and expanded upon significantly throughout the game and that gets reinforced with the overall "finding/accepting your true self" theme of the franchise.

Some other things I like that are hard to find and Persona does well are urban fantasy settings and the "life sim" aspect. I love Harvest Moon/Animal Crossing-like games and with Persona the way those games' mechanics are sprinkled into an expansive JRPG is just perfection.

It really sound like those games hit home with alot of people, thats awesome.

I was just curios cause somehow playing video games for 30 years I've never heard of Persona outside of GAF, and I guess it because I was never that into JRPGs I guess. Someday I might have to fix that.

Fireblend

Banned

The art style, music and the fact that I love JRPGs really help, but for me it's definitely the story. I'm really into narratives with big casts that focus on character interaction, and Persona games do that incredibly well. Every character has an interesting backstory that gets explored and expanded upon significantly throughout the game and that gets reinforced with the overall "finding/accepting your true self" theme of the franchise. I love the drama that comes with characters "breaking out of their shell" and embracing who they are.

Some other things I like that are hard to find and Persona does well are urban fantasy settings and the "life sim" aspect. I love Harvest Moon/Animal Crossing-like games and with Persona the way those games' mechanics are sprinkled into an expansive JRPG is just perfection.

Tunoku

(Persona 4)
It's also incredibly self-aware and smart at times. For instance, there were numerous moments during the ER where Jeff and Vinny had a response or reaction to a line of dialogue, and then the game literally said the same thing right afterward. And you're like "fuck, this game might be good". As it turns out, the game is fucking great.

Brashnir

weeaboos love their underage waifus.

Wunder

I have completly fallen off of the Beast in the East am I the only one, I didn't watch last weeks episode and prob won't this week? I am not sure why

One of the only GB playthroughs where I've finished the game before watching, so it being subs only is fine since I know pretty much all the major cutscenes/substories and can just listen for their reactions. That being said, I still devote time to watch it without doing anything else because some of those cutscenes are dope as fuckkkkkk

I have completly fallen off of the Beast in the East am I the only one, I didn't watch last weeks episode and prob won't this week? I am not sure why

As a PC-only gamer who will likely never get an opportunity to play the Yakuza games I'm incredibly thankful for Beast in the East. Highlight of my week in some cases. Granted, like all Endurance Runs/playthroughs they've done I can instantly tell that I would be much better at the game than they are, but its been enjoyable nonetheless.

As a PC-only gamer who will likely never get an opportunity to play the Yakuza games I'm incredibly thankful for Beast in the East. Highlight of my week in some cases. Granted, like all Endurance Runs/playthroughs they've done I can instantly tell that I would be much better at the game than they are, but its been enjoyable nonetheless.
Yeah, I sold my PS4 a bit before the Pro came out and I've been very thankful to have BitE as well.

oti

Banned

For me it's the setting. An RPG in a modern world setting and with Japanese school life is cool. And I've only played Persona 4 Golden and I DESPISE the whole waifu/husbando shipping Anime garbage surrounding it.

Hjod

Banned
For me it's the setting. An RPG in a modern world setting and with Japanese school life is cool. And I've only played Persona 4 Golden and I DESPISE the whole waifu/husbando shipping Anime garbage surrounding it.

My Anime comment was just a poor attempt at being funny.

Yeah it sounds cool, and I think I need more Japanese games in my life, the last one I played was Bloodborne haha.

When I get over my open world/time consuming game fatigue I'll buy Yakuza 0 and start from there.

Considering the fanbase, it's almost alarming how little Persona 3 and 4 force the "dating sim" aspect on you. It's entirely optional.

Hell, the cutscenes all act like everyone is just friends anyway

Top Bottom