• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Zornack

But out exploring you run into the lack of enemy variety and the fact that most explorations just end in a shrine or Korok seed.

My biggest issue with the game. There are lots of fun little side quests which send you off exploring the world and solving puzzles and they all end in an easy shrine with a useless reward.

And everything in the side quest menu is a fetch quest which ends with a rupee reward. No thanks.

Wunder

I would kill for that Yasogami High hoodie without the back decal, but I still might grab one. Just the Y H and the houndstooth inside the hood looks great.

If they really felt like they needed it, they could've just made the crest way smaller and put it at the bottom right in the back or something.

that's the shit right there

Hindl

I would kill for that Yasogami High hoodie without the back decal, but I still might grab one. Just the Y H and the houndstooth inside the hood looks great.

If they really felt like they needed it, they could've just made the crest way smaller and put it at the bottom right in the back or something.

I wish they didn't have the periods after Y and H either

I like those Persona shirts but BOY does that gamer clothes thread ignore the "subtle" part of the thread title haha. Hadn't seen it before. The only game oriented clothing I have is my pair of Dota2 Power Treads socks. Two of my groomsmen have the other attributes and I have the intelligence pair. Wore them for my wedding.

Automata is probably the best thing I've played this year so *shrug*.
At least the sidequests in Automata had great writing unlike sidequests in almost every other videogame.
Which reminds me of my biggest problem I have with people describing The Witcher 3 and its content.
They were all the same type of quests as well! They weren't special at all.

Oh, I can totally see why people thoroughly enjoy the game... I mean look at the review scores, I'm obviously in the minority in my opinions on the game.

Mr. F

Banned
I agree for the most part. I wish they had leaned more into the "ruins of Hyrule" aspect. I know it's perhaps cheap to just reference the old games, but they had such an opportunity to do that in a really incredible way. Things like the
ruins of Lon Lon Ranch
are so evocative, but the vast majority of references to other Zelda games are just names of areas.

Totally. It would have been really cool to see ruins of older game locations resettled/repurposed in the post-calamity Hyrule. It's especially frustrating seeing so many charred out cabins and covered wagons with no hints of any intact. They give kind of a reason as the world is apparently super dangerous to traverse, which makes it all the more disappointing when you see random explorer NPCs with single lines of disposable dialogue.

I dunno, I agree with all of your points, BotW is not a perfect game. It has plenty of flaws that become more apparent the longer you play. Jeff summed up my feelings on the game, the story stuff and villages have been my least favorite parts of the game while I loved the exploring and shit. So I'm not sure having more civilization would've helped, although outside of the main dungeon stuff I enjoyed the side stories in villages. But out exploring you run into the lack of enemy variety and the fact that most explorations just end in a shrine or Korok seed. The first 40 or so hours of the game were awe-inspiring because it was all new, and then after that you begin to generally know what to expect from the world. But still, even 70 hours in I was surprised by stuff, just not as much.

It just makes me excited for the next one since they could fix a lot of those issues. BotW still may be my favorite game ever though, we'll see how I cool on it as I get further away from playing it

Separate from the main story's sloppiness, I've enjoyed the villages for the most part and just wish there was more of them, or at least appropriately scaled. Walking into a place called Goron "City" and finding it to be a town square in the same relative layout as most of the other villages kind of makes it hard to suspend my disbelief that this is where the entirety of this species lives. Maybe my expectations are out of whack since Hyrule can't seemingly catch a break, but I was kind of hoping to find more signs of a rebound after a century since the last disaster.

I just tend to think back to things like Kakariko village in OoT where it was small as hell but felt like a meaningful place to be exploration wise between the shit you do down the well, in the graveyard, etc. Maybe that crosses into shrine territory but the impact is a bit reduced by it all having the same art style.

daveo42

Banned

That'd be pretty fuckin' awesome.

New Continue Watching tab on Giantbomb

mjmaeckru.gif

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
At least the sidequests in Automata had great writing unlike sidequests in almost every other videogame.
Which reminds me of my biggest problem I have with people describing The Witcher 3 and its content.

That's not true at all but everybody can have an opinion on things, even if they are wrong

Haven't played Automata but what you are saying about its sidequests are exactly how I feel about the sidequests in The Witcher 3. They are way better than most (if not all) other games in the genre. No other game I have played/seen even comes close with the writing.

Bacon

What a confusing comment. TW3 has the best writing for side quests I've ever seen in a video game.

Ketch

Well. I think I'm done with GB. There's no particular reason, I just haven't been to the site or watched any of their stuff in weeks. I've been a fan since they started, and a sub since premium was a thing, but I've basically lost all interest. I hardly listen to the podcasts anymore either.

Part of it is that I'm not playing games as much, I don't even own a PS4 or bone, part of it is how bland all of their stuff has been, part of it is just I don't know. I'm mostly posting because I know the guys read this forum, and I felt like they should know.

Thanks for everything duders

Tagyhag

Well. I think I'm done with GB. There's no particular reason, I just haven't been to the site or watched any of their stuff in weeks. I've been a fan since they started, and a sub since premium was a thing, but I've basically lost all interest. I hardly listen to the podcasts anymore either.

Part of it is that I'm not playing games as much, I don't even own a PS4 or bone, part of it is how bland all of their stuff has been, part of it is just I don't know. I'm mostly posting because I know the guys read this forum, and I felt like they should know.

Look at the silver lining, if you ever get back to games or the site, you'll have a bunch of content waiting for you. Take care friend.

Mr. F

Banned

no, thank you brad

it happens eh, my interest in GB/games in general ebbs and flows as well and is generally trending downward.

AngryMoth

Is it weird that I'm super hyped and about Persona 5 considering I've never actually played one of these games before? Preloading on ps4 now and I feel all giddy

oti

Banned
Is it weird that I'm super hyped and about Persona 5 considering I've never actually played one of these games before? Preloading on ps4 now and I feel all giddy

Persona is special, man.

I fell off BitE. It demands too much attention to be a Zelda in handheld mode and TV in the background game.

robotrock

Banned
kind of a bland Yakuza 0 episode, I definitely agree with them that Majima is so much more entertaining

Kiryu's story starts to get really good at some point. I was definitely getting equally bummed whenever the game would switch characters because both stories were super interesting

Kiryu's story starts to get really good at some point. I was definitely getting equally bummed whenever the game would switch characters because both stories were super interesting

Chapter 6, which is after the chapter they're currently at. I, like you, actually love both sides of the story because I'm the kind of guy that appreciates when the developers give time to flesh out their characters more and add depth, things like that make it memorable to me even if it's just mundane things.

Also, it was a pretty good way to maintain the tension and curiosity of various facets of the story seamlessly without it feeling confusing. It made it all really interesting.

hamchan

I stopped halfway through this ep of BitE to play Nier instead. When good games stop coming out then I'll watch BitE again. Also doesn't help that it's only like 1 and a half hours after a whole week.

ferunnico

Neo Member
kind of a bland Yakuza 0 episode, I definitely agree with them that Majima is so much more entertaining

Kiryu's story is about to get a lot more interesting. Next episode should be pretty exciting, if I recall correctly. These lulls in the story are the reason why we need two episodes per week.

Meneses

This episode wasn't the best but I still enjoy BitE a lot. That game is fantastic.

Also, I might be in a minority, but I always watch GB content as my primary point of focus (i.e., not just as background noise).

I only leave it in the background if it's "bad" / uninteresting content to me (in which case i'm more likely to not even watch it).

I don't even listen to the podcast while playing games, since I can't really concentrate on both things and end up missing half of what they talk about - unless i'm doing really simple stuff like the Yakuza big side activities or just grinding for something.

Catvoca

Banned
What got you?

I thought it was really boring. I played up until after the prison break bit and kept waiting for it to get good but it wasn't happening. I thought the combat was stiff and the random encounters obnoxious, while the storytelling was all so slow, dull and overly melodramatic. It's a bummer because I did really want to like Yakuza, but I guess it just isn't for me.

daveo42

Banned
I usually don't do anything else while watching GB content outside of the podcasts, which I usually listen to during commutes. Otherwise I miss stiff. I'm not all that good at dividing attention between engaging content and work. Watching at work usually devolves into not working at all.

BitE this week was good, but I've enjoyed every episode so far.

Top Bottom