• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Aselith

Maybe, but as someone that has never played a Persona game, I was totally agreeing with Vinny and Jeff about the weird parts of the story. It actually put me off trying it to be honest. I will still play it at some point, but I don't feel like I need to rush to it now.

From what I've heard people talk about, it's being intentionally vague which is why things seem weird.

Seems like there's more to the story of why people are responding to him the way that they are.

Meguro

Banned
The game also gets on track to the actual meat of things pretty much right after the point where the QL stops.
As for the localization:
It gets better?
The beginning is definitely the worst offender. No idea what happened with some of those lines honestly.

.JayZii

Banned
Maybe, but as someone that has never played a Persona game, I was totally agreeing with Vinny and Jeff about the weird parts of the story. It actually put me off trying it to be honest. I will still play it at some point, but I don't feel like I need to rush to it now.
I guess hearing fans of Persona 4 saying Persona 5 is weird after playing for an hour seems kind of strange. Persona 4 is also weird.
For an Atlus product, P5's localization seems very poor. Why did we wait an extra six months again?
Glorious Japanese voice acting for the weeble wobbles.

FluxWaveZ

The only "weird" parts of the story they were really hung up on in the QL are explicitly addressed later on in the game. It's an 80-hour story; it's obviously not gonna just establish everything right from the start.

Jennipeg

From what I've heard people talk about, it's being intentionally vague which is why things seem weird.

Seems like there's more to the story of why people are responding to him the way that they are.

Perhaps if I had played a Persona game before, I wouldn't feel so puzzled by it, I know next to nothing about them so everything is new to me. I can deal with flashbacks and vague storytelling, because it will all be explained later. I just didn't come away from the QL feeling like I 'get' Persona at all, so i'll just have to try it for myself.

I'm a few hours into P5 and there is nothing really wrong with the localisation apart from the odd word here and there. The dub is pretty good too.

oti

Banned
Everything about the tone in that blogpost makes it sound like "Atlus JP is stomping their foot down on this and we're trying to correct this for the future, sorry".

I can't believe they literally said YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. Lovely.

Joeku

I'm a few hours into P5 and there is nothing really wrong with the localisation apart from the odd word here and there. The dub is pretty good too.

Not to just rehash the other topic, because it's already there, but
fZYptLD.jpg

is not odd words. That's strange, completely unnatural (likely) literal translation.

However I am still stoked to play the damn thing. An occasionally-rough translation is not going to destroy complete character arcs, and that's for damn sure what I'm coming to P5 for.

(Also the styyyyle)

Guess Who

Banned
the persona 5 endurance run will be brought to you in film and 40s format, press "X" whenever you hear vinny go "BEEP" to make sure you stay in sync

xuchu

Seems like Jeff and Vinny don't even want to play persona 5. The ridiculous streaming restrictions may have soured them well before release. Shame really.

"Eh. It didn't grab me." Jeff - GOTY talks 2017

I'll be pleasantly surprised if it makes their top 10

I think that's super unlikely. Who is going to play it? I'm doubtful that Vinny or Jeff will get through it, Dan is a definite no, same with Brad most likely. Unless one of the new hires champions it I don't see it even going on the list.

I think that's super unlikely. Who is going to play it? I'm doubtful that Vinny or Jeff will get through it, Dan is a definite no, same with Brad most likely. Unless one of the new hires champions it I don't see it even going on the list.
I could see them throwing it at 10, but yeah it's unlikely.

Mr. F

Banned

This is crazy to me but I can see it.

danm999

Are people in here bugged by the P5 localization or is it just a gaf overblown thing? Never played a persona game before but I haven't been especially bothered by it so far, kind of assumed it was par for the course in terms of occasional awkwardness.

Early on your character asks another character if they're jelly so I'm ok with it so far. YMMV.

That no-streaming thing keeps us from a GBE P5 Playdate later this year with Dan. THE MONSTERS. :p

Are people in here bugged by the P5 localization or is it just a gaf overblown thing? Never played a persona game before but I haven't been especially bothered by it so far, kind of assumed it was par for the course in terms of occasional awkwardness.

The latter, but like someone said above, they've lost some talent over the decade so ABSOLUTELY PERFECT LIKE MY P4 isn't a guarentee anyways. I went thru this with Torment: Tides of Numenera just now which is similar, you gotta KNOW this isn't going to recreate that serendipity knowing what we know.

Top Bottom