• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Deadly Premonition is morel ike At the Drive-In

I'm sorry to say that you like the Static-X of video games

Nah, Deadly premonition is more like the mars volta. Lots of crazy stuff which leads to a lot of bad parts but still somehow works in the ned.

Dany

Banned
I work 3 12 hour shifts in a row since Monday. So I have not touched persona yet and its driving me CRAZY. maybe I'll take a sick day

xanavi

I wish they gave the voice actors better direction on pronouncing these names. It feels like I'm listening to an olympic broadcast.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
"Incompetent fools like you just need to shut your mouth and follow where I steer this country"

Definitely the dialogue of 'Drunk Man'

I wish they gave the voice actors better direction on pronouncing these names. It feels like I'm listening to an olympic broadcast.

apparently the way they're pronounced in game is how atlus JP wanted them pronounced by the english voice actors

yeah I don't know why either

Hindl

Aside from everything else, all the QOL improvements in Persona 5 are great. And I love the jazz/funk soundtrack

Understandable considering the last few Tales games have been bleh.

It really is the best Tales in a long, long time though.

Persona Update: I want to punch Kamoshida in the dick.

Yeah they really just put a shitheel in front of you at the beginning. Although makes sense since he's
abusing students and dating an underage girl
. Pretty easy to hate

apparently the way they're pronounced in game is how atlus JP wanted them pronounced by the english voice actors

That's dumb

Curufinwe

I was talking to my wife about why Sakamoto in P5 stands out so much to us, and I think it's because I hear the similar sounding Japanese name Mikimoto quite frequently as Mikimoto's is a popular local restaurant. I've heard lots of Americans say it, and never heard one of them one stress the hell out of the second syllable.

Unfortunately, the translation issues are deeper than that.

@_anthonyburch

A cop enters a scene and tells a lawyer "there's a call from your director. " the Lawyer pulls out HER OWN CELL PHONE and answers it. WHAT

I was talking to my wife about why Sakamoto in P5 stands out so much to us, and I think it's because I hear the similar sounding Japanese name Mikimoto quite frequently as Mikimoto's is a popular local restaurant. I've heard lots of Americans say it, and never heard one of them one stress the hell out of the second syllable.

Unfortunately, the translation issues are deeper than that.

Yeah that was a weird moment

Like I didn't catch it in the QL, but jesus christ in hindsight...now that I think about it, when the guy said that in the QL, I expected her to go off and pick up a wired phone, but then she pulled out her own cell and answered...it was such a weird moment.

Like I get what they're trying to do, that is providing a direct translation with very little clean up, but it just comes off as bizarre.

Atlus was really great at tweaking for its localisations. It was their special sause.

Going for a more direct translation is a bummer. It was the flavor Atlus US gave which really made P3 and P4 stand out from other awkward Japanese games that are forced to have more literally translations.

Antiwhippy

I mean if I'm being honest I currently love Nier Automata more than P5 but I'm like, 4 hours into P5, so that's a dumb comparison. And I love nier Automata in a way that is probably not rational.

Really though for the shoestring budget and niche ass nicheness yoko taro works in his games always had pretty good localisation.

Hindl

The way people join your party and unlock your Personas is kinda lame compared to P4 tho. Seems like they condensed the hell out of the opening

.JayZii

Banned
He did the Ql.
Considering he's said he's played P4 "a few times", I think he knows that the parts of the game that are endearing and get their hooks into you aren't revealed in the first hour.

A lot of the sudden negativity about P5 is just because of the lame streaming limitations from Atlus (or some people with a chip on their shoulder about Tales of Berseria, apparently). That doesn't make the game bad.

HAHAHA! I was playing MLB The Show 17. In Road to the Show (my player is a pitcher drafted by the Cubs (1st Round, 30th pick)) and in one of my games, my pitcher hit a homerun. While watching the replay, I noticed a fan caught the ball. On closer inspection, I noticed it was headed towards a little girl and it was clearly hers for the taking. The older fan just jumped in front of her and took it for himself. It even looks like he's taunting the girl. Sad thing is, there are real "fans" like this in the world.

Mine!!

Antiwhippy

The way people join your party and unlock your Personas is kinda lame compared to P4 tho. Seems like they condensed the hell out of the opening

I actually really like the weird ass time leap whenever you form a social link during the first part.

Tubobutts

HAHAHA! I was playing MLB The Show 17. In Road to the Show (my player is a pitcher drafted by the Cubs (1st Round, 30th pick)) and in one of my games, my pitcher hit a homerun. While watching the replay, I noticed a fan caught the ball. On closer inspection, I noticed it was headed towards a little girl and it was clearly hers for the taking. The older fan just jumped in front of her and took it for himself. It even looks like he's taunting the girl. Sad thing is, there are real "fans" like this in the world.

Mine!!
Dan Ryckert is in yet another video game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
keep in mind jeff didnt like persona 4 at first either

also keep in mind jeff only playd it because of the feature. he would have never made the time to do it before and if there's no feature for a 100+ hour game, jeff probably wont play much of it
character movement feels real bad though :(

yep. super swimmy and the camera pans too slow

Hindl

I dig how we summon them though.

Not quite as hardcore as shooting yourself, but few things are.

Oh yeah that's really cool I like that part

I actually really like the weird ass time leap whenever you form a social link during the first part.

That's cool, not what I'm talking about though. In Persona 4, each character had a long buildup (and most had entire dungeons) where they had to face their true selves and their repressed feelings, and only after accepting it did they get the power. It's kinda hokey but it felt more natural, like there was character development? Whereas in P5, it's basically
I'm really angry, now my other self is going to come out and make a pact with me
. Everything else is great, and it let me get up to a party of 4 really quickly, but it feels unearned I guess?

Antiwhippy

Oh yeah that's really cool I like that part

That's cool, not what I'm talking about though. In Persona 4, each character had a long buildup (and most had entire dungeons) where they had to face their true selves and their repressed feelings, and only after accepting it did they get the power. It's kinda hokey but it felt more natural, like there was character development?

Er, what. Did you forgot how quickly yosuke and chie got their personas in 4? It's pretty quick dude.

The only difference is that morgana isn't a useless sack of shit like teddie
love you teds.

Hindl

Eh, same way in P4. Did you forgot how quickly yosuke and chie got their personas in 4? It's pretty quick dude.

The only difference is that morgana isn't a useless sack of shit like teddie
love you teds.

Yeah but there was at least a boss battle where you had to fight their repressed emotions, and they had to accept themselves. It was still something

Antiwhippy

Yeah but it's not the "long" buildup you made it out to be initially. Yosuke was like "lol guess what I was always a total dickwad. PERSONA!"

Also the meat of the character developement was always in the social links.

Really, considering the theme of rebellion against repression in this game it makes sense for them to be more accepting of their shadow self.

Also Persona 3 did it better than either game anyway because it made it so that you're not the origin of it and the others are already established persona users.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'd rather have a new DDS than a new Person but I've been carrying that flag for over a decade

Also as much as 'Platinum should make...' is the worst - Platinum should make a new Devil Summoner.

.JayZii

Banned
Yeah but there was at least a boss battle where you had to fight their repressed emotions, and they had to accept themselves. It was still something
Don't forget about social links and character building through the rest of the storyline. There's some revisionist history about P4 these days because many people know the characters so well after playing the whole game and seeing them referenced for almost 10 years
I'd rather have a new DDS than a new Person but I've been carrying that flag for over a decade

Also as much as 'Platinum should make...' is the worst - Platinum should make a new Devil Summoner.
I'm excited about that new Project Re Fantasy by the Persona team. I'd like to see them do something totally fresh.

Hindl

I know that most of the development happens in the social links, but you can't deny that there's some character growth in before character faces their shadow -> after the shadow is defeated. Or I guess the other way to look at it is aside from Yosuke, you generally will have seen more of the character before they join your party. I feel like I know less about these characters joining the party than in P4. Like I'm 5 hours into P5 and have a full party of 4, whereas in P4 that took like 10 hours. I get why and it's not a big deal, but still

That Switch SMT game is untitled...

Top Bottom