• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Bacon

I just watched The Rock and I don't really get the adoration Dan has for that movie. It's fine, but almost all of the dialogue from the soldiers sounds like that Navy SEAL copy pasta. The dialogue is cheesy in that Michael Bay/90's blockbuster way and there's some stuff that you roll your eyes at nowadays (the effeminate/gay stereotype stylist). I enjoyed it, but I'd rather watch The Hunt for Red October again.

I remember thinking the first half was awesome and hilarious but it got worse as the movie went along and got more actiony, but it's been a while since I watched it.

Hindl

I just watched The Rock and I don't really get the adoration Dan has for that movie. It's fine, but almost all of the dialogue from the soldiers sounds like that Navy SEAL copy pasta. The dialogue is cheesy in that Michael Bay/90's blockbuster way and there's some stuff that you roll your eyes at nowadays (the effeminate/gay stereotype stylist). I enjoyed it, but I'd rather watch The Hunt for Red October again.

Dan likes the cheesy Michael Bay/90s blockbuster dialogue

The Rock's greatest strengths is based on 3 things.

1) The antagonist is someone you sympathize with. Literally in the opening 5 minutes, you understand and get his character.
2) The chemistry between Nick Cage & Sean Connery is great.
3) The soundtrack.

The action and humor throughout the film are just icing on the cake. It's also Bay's best film.

Meneses

R1TXhmUl.png

This got me.

1) The antagonist is someone you sympathize with. Literally in the opening 5 minutes, you understand and get his character.
3) The soundtrack.

The action and humor throughout the film are just icing on the cake. It's also Bay's best film.

It's his only movie rated as "fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes. Transformers (the first one) and 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi, while both rated as "rotten", are the top movies of his behind The Rock (and come somewhat close to being rated as "fresh").

uehfguillm.png

It's his only movie rated as "fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes. Transformers (the first one) and 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi, while both rated as "rotten", are the top movies of his behind The Rock (and come somewhat close to being rated as "fresh").

Yup, agreed. Both are good films, moreso 13 hours though.

is t he PaRappa QL gonna be Jeff dunking on Brad for thinking its a good rhythm game

I'm going to buy the game at the end of the week, mostly for nostalgic reasons. PaRappa and Crash were the two demos I played nonstop when I first got my PS1.

but what about Pain & Gain, you guys

I liked it, mostly for Dwayne Johnson and for pointing me towards the real incident which is pure insanity.

hamchan

I appreciate the sentiment, and I know it comes from a good place of enjoying what we do.

But when we read stuff like:

"The "they have families" excuse doesn't really work when half the world is married or have family to look after, and they don't get Mondays off, or get to come into work at 10am, or are doing much more laborious work at more hours in general."​

I know to me, and other people here, it sounds like it's because we're eating cheese and sipping wine all day. I like to think we're pretty open about our operation but it's hard to read that kind of misinformation. Like, there aren't Monday's off. 1-2 prep for QLs includes downloading, playing, and everything leading up to recording. It gets a bit maddening seeing some of that stuff either intentionally or unintentionally put out there. It's not really your responsibility to understand any of it, but I respect the work, effort, and how much of their lives this team has given to Giant Bomb over the years and I know how damaging and deflating chatter like that can be.

Now if you'll excuse me. My cheese is getting cold... or warm... or whatever fancy cheese does.

Sorry if I offended you, misunderstood the work you put in or implied you don't do much work.

Honestly that sentence came from a place of annoyance/anger at the other poster I was replying to. I know you don't use the "I have a family" excuse. Because we all work hard, have full time jobs and have families to look after as well. And to see that used by the other poster rubbed me the wrong way, because we're all in the same boat of having a ton of responsibilities and trying to struggle through life.

Anyways keep on trucking Vinny, because I can tell you and the team you're doing good work right now.

Put me in the camp of wanting the GB guys to make whatever content they feel passionate about.

The P4 endurance run is magical, and some of my favorite content I've ever watched, but I would never want them to do another endurance run if their hearts weren't into it.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I wouldn't even want to watch an endurance run of Persona 5 until long enough after I play P5 to want to experience it again. And I still haven't beaten Zelda.

Also the thread on no playable female P5 protagonist kind of has me wanting to replay Eternal Punishment more anyway.

latest

All time best girl.

3) The soundtrack.

Yeah, the opening is definitely the strongest part. The music that plays as they infiltrate the base at the beginning reminded me a lot of MGS 2. I guess there is a throughline from this film to MGS 2, Harry Gregson-Williams also worked on The Rock's soundtrack.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Old persona/smt characters look so incredibly hideous.

New Persona characters look so boring. The visual design of the human characters is one of the worst parts of the new games, which look otherwise mostly great.

The Persona designs themselves were also much better in the early games, but they aren't mostly bland like the people are.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
New Persona characters look so boring. The visual design of the human characters is one of the worst parts of the new games, which look otherwise mostly great.

The Persona designs themselves were also much better in the early games, but they aren't mostly bland like the people are.

Eh, I think the new character designs are pretty good. Love kaneko's stuff too though.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Eh, I think the new character designs are pretty good. Love kaneko's stuff too though.

They're all well drawn and expressive enough and they're fiiine but they are so god damned boring. Every single one of them is "Hey, have you seen anime lately? Here it is!"

The best visual design in Persona 4 was reserved for the menus. Those were some fucking slick menus though.

Drew is going to attend a wedding this weekend on the east coast

who's getting married? Either Dan or Alex. HAS to be one of them >_> I don't think drew knows anyone else.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
p3 had the most boring designed characters

by like a metric shitton

Oh definitely. I haven't actually seen that much of 5 because it's Persona so I'll play it eventually so why bother looking at anything from it, but Persona 3 drags down the visual novel bullshit half of the series in my memory. There was a fucking dog and a dumb kid and I legitimately can't remember the main character. Not Yosuke looked kind of like a teenage Japanese Alex, right? He sucked, actual Alex would have been such a better character. And every girl in those two games could be replaced for any of the others besides Chie and Naoto who stand out.

danm999

Speaking of design holy shit is the first palace in Persona 5 is a thousand times more interesting than Tartarus or anything in 4.

Top Bottom