• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

I don't think it would be much of a surprise if UPF was their most popular content. It's the only thing they do that is regularly scheduled every week. Everybody knows when UPF is gonna be because they don't deviate from that 4pm Friday slot. (Referring to premium content where they aren't playing through full games here.)

Zaph

lol Subaru ads on the Beastcast. Films and 40's giving them a new audience.

Apropos to nothing, I hope Brad gets back into Horizon. It's the kind of science fiction that's right up his alley and I think he would eat up the story in the later parts of the game.

Jeff mentioning the quality of some of the story beats and writing made me squeeze in Horizon before P5. God damn, what an incredible game. So much fun to play and it was a nice change to play through an entire open world game while only encountering one bug.

Not usually one for audio and text logs, but these had me hooked - some really great sci-fi there. Doesn't break the mould or anything, but just does it really well.

The post-credits stinger was bullshit though.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm that kind of guy but that's because I've been following the guys since 2004 so, I enjoy watching or listening to them talk about basically anything.

I started enjoying UPF again after realizing that it's a perfect background video for me. Put UPF on my second screen while I play some J'n'R where sound isn't important or just grind some achievments or something. That's what I'm currently doing with the P4 ER.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I do hope they don't see this thread as just a bunch of assholes always complaining about them, that would legitimately bum me out.

Yep.

Look at the OP and tell me that type of thing tells anyone outside of the culture of these threads would see that as an accurate, good, or funny summary of GB? The "jokes" in this community often insult the GB staff on a personal level and even the innocent ones have never been funny. "Brad's leaving" wasn't funny 4 years ago and still isn't funny today. Actual criticism is fine, but insulting people because they're not outputting 40+ hours of content a week is ridiculous--if you're unhappy then cancel your sub. Discussions often become creepy or veer into unrelated subjects--which, no one except the most frequent posters care about. Most poster don't care about the results of the 2011 GOTY deliberations. The same arguments get reposted ad nauseam. It's unhealthy to obsess over stuff like that.

I post less and less often in these threads because of how terrible the discussion is and how terrible some of the posts directed at GB staff are. I firmly believe a less active thread, that only focuses on content, would make for a far better community than what currently exists.

Zaph

Look at the OP and tell me that type of thing tells anyone outside of the culture of these threads would see that as an accurate, good, or funny summary of GB? The "jokes" in this community often insult the GB staff on a personal level and even the innocent ones have never been funny. "Brad's leaving" wasn't funny 4 years ago and still isn't funny today. Actual criticism is fine, but insulting people because they're not outputting 40+ hours of content a week is ridiculous--if you're unhappy then cancel your sub. Discussions often become creepy or veer into unrelated subjects--which, no one except the most frequent posters care about. Most poster don't care about the results of the 2011 GOTY deliberations. The same arguments get reposted ad nauseam. It's unhealthy to obsess over stuff like that.

I post less and less often in these threads because of how terrible the discussion is and how terrible some of the posts directed at GB staff are. I firmly believe a less active thread, that only focuses on content, would make for a far better community than what currently exists.

That's a sizeable overreaction. Aside from the occasional post that crosses the line, the general tone of this thread seems fine - especially compared to some of the other communities on this forum.

Who really cares if the GB staff don't want to post here? That's not the purpose of the thread. And besides, /r/giantbomb is a much more 'positive' community, but I don't see them dropping by there.

edit: and the OP is lit
409rstH.gif

mintyice

I think they said UPF was their most popular content. Personally I like how it's chill and they are just hanging out. What I would change maybe is the type of games they chose to play sometimes but that's a personal preference.

But saying "UPF sucks" doesn't really warrant a response that's for sure.

You know how Jeff doesn't watch RAW every week? That's how I feel about UPF.

Yes, all the time.

There were frank discussions about UPF for ages before sheer apathy took over and it turned into a thread joke.

Criticism is valid. A lot of people in the thread confuse criticism with shitposting too IMO. There's a really tendency to try and shout it down. Discussion about the format/type/game content of shows is totally fine in here, most of us are paying after all, but usually when there's 5 posts in a row of that people come in whining about how negative the thread is.

The stuff that isn't on is the personal shit/accusations of people not doing their job which is definitely in the minority, but is the only stuff that gets attention from the guys. The vacuum feeds that shit and then it gets ultimately gets validated by one of the guys coming in to discuss it.

There's a blurry line between shitposting and criticism in this thread, and it's disappointing when somewhat legit criticism is dismissed as dickish behavior and promptly ignored by Jeff and co. I have no personal grudge against staff members, I just wish I enjoyed GB as much as I did in 2012-13.

Fantastapotamus

You know how Jeff doesn't watch RAW every week? That's how I feel about UPF.

I'm pretty sure I banned wrestling talk at some point

I feel like watching a Youtube walkthrough of that remaster would be a much better idea at this point.

I miss Brad and his Dark Souls.

Watching him play Bloodborne during that PS4 Pro stream reminded me how much fun it is to watch other people play Dark Souls.
Edit: Or Bloodborne. Same thing.

def sim

I think I get what Jeff says about Parappa. I played through the second fairly recently and it doesn't feel like the notes given to me go with the song as well as they should. There's a lack of satisfaction when hitting them.

I still enjoyed myself, though that's mostly nostalgia. I could go for a modernized version.

LiK

Man, I would so love to watch Breaking Brad do both Dark souls 3 DLCs. He would literally quit from the boss battles and some of the traps, haha

Scizzy

There's a blurry line between shitposting and criticism in this thread, and it's disappointing when somewhat legit criticism is dismissed as dickish behavior and promptly ignored by Jeff and co. I have no personal grudge against staff members, I just wish I enjoyed GB as much as I did in 2012-13.

I mean, you posted this:
Busy working on #content?
a minute after Brad asked if it was a mystery why the guys didn't want to post here. Is it any wonder the line between shitposting and critique is unclear?

mintyice

I mean, you posted this:

a minute after Brad asked if it was a mystery why the guys didn't want to post here. Is it any wonder the line between shitposting and critique is unclear?

I do it because I care, Brad. I learned it from watching you!

I think this is a good way of looking at it. Some things will be to someone's taste, while others won't - and the opposite will probably happen with another person. That's how tastes work.

You don't need to watch everything (for example, I skipped some GotY segments about stuff i wasn't interested in, or most of project BEAST back in the day).

Of course, this isn't exactly a perfect solution considering those times when the content is more scarce, but in general there's always at least something any given person will enjoy.

I actually think it's weirder that anyone loves absolutely everything GB puts out.

It's particularly rough in the case of UPF, though, because even when content isn't scarce it's still about 85% of the West office's premium output (barring stuff where they just remove ads). It's easier to outright ignore UPF now when the East crew is putting out two or three different premium features a week (serious kudos to them), but it really, really sucks to feel like the vast majority of premium videos the West do is a waste of my time.

A handful of people here don't like Blue Bombin', so I'll use that as an example. Imagine if you didn't like Blue Bombin', and they not only didn't take breaks from it to do weird, one-off playdates and such, but also did Blue Bombin' every Friday of almost every week for five years straight, well after they've completed any of the good or even interesting games in the series. That's what UPF is.

I buy so much that I gave up trying to keep track of my collection hah

It's very useful. I mainly keep track of my collection because I like sharing my films with family members and it's easy to keep track of what I gave over so that I know what to take back and from who once they're done from it.

Fantastapotamus

I think the last time I bought a DVD was in 2005

A handful of people here don't like Blue Bombin', so I'll use that as an example. Imagine if you didn't like Blue Bombin', and they not only didn't take breaks from it to do weird, one-off playdates and such, but also did Blue Bombin' every Friday of almost every week for five years straight, well after they've completed any of the good or even interesting games in the series. That's what UPF is.

That's what UPF is to you.

Curufinwe

I read the P5 manual last night, and it seems like they're doing some pretty interesting new things with fusion.

I've only had time to play three hours so far, so I haven't actually done any fusion myself.

BearPawB

Banned
I know these battle royale games are all kind of shit.
But I still really want to buy Battlegrounds

Also I just got the "temperance" confidant, and I have a new favorite confidant

Curufinwe

I think the last time I bought a DVD was in 2005

I bought a British TV show on DVD last month because it only comes on DVD, and also because it's region 2 I have to watch it on my old laptop which only has a DVD drive. So even if it was available on Blu-Ray, I would have had to stick with the DVD version.

daveo42

Banned
I know these battle royale games are all kind of shit.
But I still really want to buy Battlegrounds

Also I just got the "temperance" confidant, and I have a new favorite confidant

Best confidant in the game, it just sucks that
you gotta pay to hang out with her.

Curufinwe

Their talk about Scorpio is about 95% wrong... Almost turned it off

What did they get wrong? They seem a lot less confused than they were about the Pro a year ago, which makes sense since a mid-gen refresh is nothing new now.

I knew the
Scorpio King
joke was coming, but I still enjoyed it.

What did they get wrong? They seem a lot less confused than they were about the Pro a year ago, which makes sense since a mid-gen refresh is nothing new now.

I knew the
Scorpio King
joke was coming, but I still enjoyed it.
There were a few things and they are not really the best equipped for that kind of analysis, as I'm sure they'll say themselves. I don't think the conclusions they draw are misleading to someone who was first learning about the scorpio here but they were wrong on:

-impact of memory bandwidth
-how the built in dx12 feature could matter (CPU cycles being freed up) and how broadly it applies ( not just ms games, lots of third party games use dx12)
- it's just a 7200 rpm HDD in there, nothing fancy
- as of now you can't play 360 games in 4k like Jeff said you could

Alex is playing Persona 5 👌

Also I like Vinny bringing up the question of how GOTY conversations will go around Mass Effect if he only plays the patched version when they already had that exact situation with Brad and ME3.

Top Bottom