• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
That does it. I hope when Jeff finally gets his Giant Bomb Jersey his number will be 8.8 on the back. It's the only thing that makes sense.

robotrock

Banned
has beast met majima yet? im playing through both yakuza 2 and 5 right now so i thought it would be better if i didn't further muddy this up by watching their playthrough of yakuza 0 right now

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
8.8 is a very risky number to have on your jersey

Yeah, 8.8 isn't a number you'd want on you anywhere.

fixed!

zzGhDYy.png

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I remember someone posting some stats on Giant Bomb reviews. Like how many they did every year, how many for every editor and so on. Anyone still got a link to that?

Meneses

I beat Yakuza 0 at 70 hours and just under 50% completion. My god that last chapter and ending. Not sure even Zelda can beat this for my GOTY.

Damn, really looking forward to advancing story stuff but...

I just finished the Real Estate and finally advanced to the next chapter, and now they throw the Cabaret stuff at me.

I don't think i'm finishing it any time soon lol

BearPawB

Banned
I loved my time with it, but after completing the story I haven't felt a super strong desire to go back and complete everything I missed.

I was like that at first but at some point the story starts progressing at such a pace that it doesn't make narrative sense to be doing side stuff. You still could but I felt bad about it.

Yeah, at some point the story got so much momentum I sort of stopped doing a lot of the side stuff

Damn, really looking forward to advancing story stuff but...

I just finished the Real Estate and finally advanced to the next chapter, and now they throw the Cabaret stuff at me.

I don't think i'm finishing it any time soon lol

I was like that at first but at some point the story starts progressing at such a pace that it doesn't make narrative sense to be doing side stuff. You still could but I felt bad about it.

I'm on Chapter 11 of Yakuza 0, probably will get to 12 or 13 by the end of tonight (due to the day off tomorrow)

But I need someone to be straight up with me, is Kiwami gonna be better than this? If you spoil tag, I'll come back later after I complete the game...

I'm on Chapter 11 of Yakuza 0, probably will get to 12 or 13 by the end of tonight (due to the day off tomorrow)

But I need someone to be straight up with me, is Kiwami gonna be better than this? If you spoil tag, I'll come back later after I complete the game...

That's hard to say really. It's a remake of the first game which many consider to be the weakest by virtue of it being a PS2 game and not having yet established most of what Yakuza has become at this point. The story of Yakuza 1 is good but it's a lot more like Shenmue in the sense that it's mostly a serious game with some mini games and not too much of the crazy stuff they added later on. Kiwami is the story of 1 but with all the quality of life improvements they made since then. It should be good but 0 is one of the best in the whole series.

That's hard to say really. It's a remake of the first game which many consider to be the weakest by virtue of it being a PS2 game and not having yet established most of what Yakuza has become at this point. The story of Yakuza 1 is good but it's a lot more like Shenmue in the sense that it's mostly a serious game with some mini games and not too much of the crazy stuff they added later on. Kiwami is the story of 1 but with all the quality of life improvements they made since then. It should be good but 0 is one of the best in the whole series.
Solid response. Thanks.

Kiwami is pretty low on my list. It's basically on an unmodified version of the engine from 0 so it plays fine and all, but it is unmistakably a budget, B-team project. of the 10 or so Yakuza games I've played, I'd probably put it somewhere around 7th place.

The main story is done well, and the returning side diversions from 0 are fun, but the substories are just very dry and cookie cutter.

if it's any consolation though, 6 is a very good game, if you can overlook the lousy performance (and the scaled back diversions).

I beat Yakuza 0 at 70 hours and just under 50% completion. My god that last chapter and ending. Not sure even Zelda can beat this for my GOTY.

Seeing all this positive Yakuza 0 talk makes me wonder if this could be Sony's best year in terms of PS4 games, especially those that have scored well. I mean, in terms of exclusives, they already have Horizon (out on Tuesday), Gravity Rush 2, Nioh (which they took over publishing of), and Yakuza 0 (timed? console?). Not to mention, Resident Evil VII has the PS4 exclusive VR mode, which, by all accounts, is incredibly well done. All of these were released in January and February. MLB The Show 17 is out next month (and while many of you don't care for sports games, that series sells like hotcakes and the scores are always in the 80-90 range).Nier: Automata is also out in March (out now in Japan) as a console exclusive. I wonder if they can keep it up or if there will be a dry spell. I don't know (off the top of my head) what other exclusives are coming within the next few months (or even longer than that).

(I know I'm probably missing some JRPGs or something)

danm999

Seeing all this positive Yakuza 0 talk makes me wonder if this could be Sony's best year in terms of PS4 games, especially those that have scored well. I mean, in terms of exclusives, they already have Horizon (out on Tuesday), Gravity Rush 2, Nioh (which they took over publishing of), and Yakuza 0 (timed? console?). Not to mention, Resident Evil VII has the PS4 exclusive VR mode, which, by all accounts, is incredibly well done. All of these were released in January and February. MLB The Show 17 is out next month (and while many of you don't care for sports games, that series sells like hotcakes and the scores are always in the 80-90 range).Nier: Automata is also out in March (out now in Japan) as a console exclusive. I wonder if they can keep it up or if there will be a dry spell. I don't know (off the top of my head) what other exclusives are coming within the next few months (or even longer than that).

Persona 5.

(I know I'm probably missing some JRPGs or something)

Persona 5, Yakuza Kiwami, and GT Sport that we know of. I can see God of War sneaking in but with the absolutely ridiculous number of heavy hitter 3rd parties I can see them keeping that for March 2018. Imagine if RDR2, Destiny 2, Battlefront 2, and the new Assassin's Creed come out this year. Holiday will be insane for every console.

Mr. F

Banned
Maaan I'm really trying to like night in the woods and conceptually I like the setting and mood of the premise and world, but I'm just not in the mood for the overbearingly "lol quirky" tone of the writing right now. If it was a bit more reserved and less concerned with trying to be funny all the time it would go down a lot smoother.

Persona 5, Yakuza Kiwami, and GT Sport that we know of. I can see God of War sneaking in but with the absolutely ridiculous number of heavy hitter 3rd parties I can see them keeping that for March 2018. Imagine if RDR2, Destiny 2, Battlefront 2, and the new Assassin's Creed come out this year. Holiday will be insane for every console.

I could see Dreams releasing this year (or not coming out anytime soon). They said (after pushing it back), they'd do a beta early this year. No announcements on that front as of yet.

robotrock

Banned
Maaan I'm really trying to like night in the woods and conceptually I like the setting and mood of the premise and world, but I'm just not in the mood for the overbearingly "lol quirky" tone of the writing right now. If it was a bit more reserved and less concerned with trying to be funny all the time it would go down a lot smoother.

*tips hat*

Top Bottom