• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
For me I share the same view as Dan when it comes to Nintendo. While I do think it's bad to not expect more of them, I'm still content with what they do. As long as they make a nintendo ass nintendo game then I'm there. I don't mind buying an entire console just for Zelda and Mario at the end of the day because these are the games I want to play when I buy a Nintendo console.

A Nintendo console is the perfect accompaniment to the main console of your choice. If I were to just own two consoles, I'd go with PS4 and Switch for this gen. However, I'm the guy who has to have everything lol.

I mostly agree with this. For me, the WiiU was my favorite console ever because of how much quality time my wife and I have spent playing on it. Playing games off-screen while my wife or I can watch stuff on the TV is just icing on the cake.

I went PC + WiiU and I plan to go PC + Switch. No regrets.

derFeef

I will jump in with Mario I think, hopefully some more colors are available then - I would love a retro colored one.
I had it preordered but cancelled it two weeks ago, I can live with not having it at launch I think. (argh)

Bacon

I've been spending some time reading gaming side of neogaf recently and I'm not sure if it's crazier than usual because of a new Zelda being released or a new Nintendo console being released, but it really feels like a different world over there. Some of the posts I see look like they were lifted straight out of gamefaqs circa 2005.

Anyway not really sure what the point of his post was but I just want you all to know that I love this sub community because of its groundedness and ability to talk about video games without resorting to generalizations and fanboy wars.

derFeef

I've been spending some time reading gaming side of neogaf recently and I'm not sure if it's crazier than usual because of a new Zelda being released or a new Nintendo console being released, but it really feels like a different world over there. Some of the posts I see look like they were lifted straight out of gamefaqs circa 2005.

Anyway not really sure what the point of his post was but I just want you all to know that I love this sub community because of its groundedness and ability to talk about video games without resorting to generalizations and fanboy wars.

Same thing happened with Horizon Zero Dawn, it's not that unusual. I learned to ignore that and we do have awesome moderators that take care of the really bad stuff.

Bakalar with the Switch review!

Allow me to refresh your memory.

Hindl

Not bad. Online shit aside, it seems like the Switch has the same problems all consoles have at launch, a weak lineup with not much to play. Granted, it's a little more dire with the Switch because of the lack of 3rd parties, but the hardware itself is reviewing nicely and is being praised (Joycon issues aside). The software issue can (and from the looks of year 1) will be fixed, hardware issues can't really be fixed.

Curufinwe

On UPF Jeff said he might have liked TLOU if he had played on easy.

How would you guys say Horizon on normal compares to TLOU in normal in terms of difficulty?

oti

Banned
Not bad. Online shit aside, it seems like the Switch has the same problems all consoles have at launch, a weak lineup with not much to play. Granted, it's a little more dire with the Switch because of the lack of 3rd parties, but the hardware itself is reviewing nicely and is being praised (Joycon issues aside). The software issue can (and from the looks of year 1) will be fixed, hardware issues can't really be fixed.

I find this point to be really odd tbh. Dan's been playing Zelda for 90h and still wasn't done. If you get Zelda (because that's why you bought this thing anyway), SnipperClips, some other Indie game like Fast Racing and maaaaybe 1-2-Switch, isn't that enough until Mario Kart hits?

Eurogamer went more indepth with the syncing issues.

idpt2nu9o.png

Jeff looks exhausted.

Zelda ain't gonna finish itself.

I find this point to be really odd tbh. Dan's been playing Zelda for 90h and still wasn't done. If you get Zelda (because that's why you bought this thing anyway), SnipperClips, some other Indie game like Fast Racing and maaaaybe 1-2-Switch, isn't that enough until Mario Kart hits?

Well yeah if you want those other games, but I know I'm only getting Zelda and then have no idea what I'll get next. Im not getting Mario Kart either as I already owned it on Wii U.

oti

Banned
Well yeah if you want those other games, but I know I'm only getting Zelda and then have no idea what I'll get next. Im not getting Mario Kart either as I already owned it on Wii U.

If you really can't wait to play Zelda you'll have to bite the bullet then, I guess.

Dineren

Banned
Eurogamer went more indepth with the syncing issues.

idpt2nu9o.png

Zelda ain't gonna finish itself.

I really hope Nintendo has a response for these problems (or they are fixed by the launch firmware update). I don't think it's going to affect me because of the distance I sit from my consoles, but they really can't afford to be releasing hardware with major flaws.

BearPawB

Banned
I have a ps4 and a good pc.
I don't really care if my switch plays ps4 games or pc games.

I realize not everyone is in that situation. I just think I am past needing ONE CONSOLE to be my one console.

If Zelda is amazing as the previews have made it sound, then I think I will be just fine with my purchase until Splatoon 2.

Hindl

I'm talking about in general. I'll be spending a shitton of time in Zelda, and I'll probably check out a few of the indies. But if you don't like kart/racing games, the next big game is whenever Splatoon 2 launches. There's plenty of games there to fill your time, but for the average consumer, there's no must-have games besides Zelda. That's fine for me because I have plenty of other systems and just want a Nintendo box, but that's not what everyone wants. But a lack of games is generally what all console launches are like. Hell, Nintendo is already doing a better job for a console in its first year than Sony, who took 3 years to start pumping out games for their machine. I wasn't criticizing Nintendo here, I was just saying these are the problems that come with every launch. You can find articles saying the same thing about the XBO and PS4 in 2013/early 2014. And I'm saying that's good that it's just having the average launch problems, and not a "Nintendo-like" launch problem like unappealing hardware

Meguro

Banned
Yeah, I've been buying a Nintendo games box since the Wii and will continue to do so until Nintendo stops making consoles.
If you don't own a console already?
Probably don't get the Nintendo one. Not worth it at all.

Mupod

it's been a real long time since I've bought a game based on review scores. If anything, good scores across the board make me wary that a game will be too easy or shallow to keep me interested. I'm not far enough up my own ass to hold off on a game because I suspect it's for dirty casuls, just saying that my tastes are quite niche and I don't expect the kind of game I like to be popular with everybody. Like if I ever saw Dan give a Monster Hunter game a 5/5 I'd be real fuckin confused unless it's like his old Tri review which I'm pretty sure he wrote without actually playing the game.

I remember a time when sites like Gamespot were seen by many as impartial judges of a game's objective quality. Knowing now what I do about how very specific Jeff's tastes in games ACTUALLY are, it's funny as hell that I'd ever get bent out of shape over a low Mario Kart 64 score.

Personally speaking, the first three months of the Switch look like they're offering me more than any launch since... god, maybe the Wii?

The Switch's launch lineup is thin, there's no doubting it, but it's been blown far more out of proportion than any other launch I can remember. No hardware launches with more than a thin handful of great games.

oti

Banned
I'm talking about in general. I'll be spending a shitton of time in Zelda, and I'll probably check out a few of the indies. But if you don't like kart/racing games, the next big game is whenever Splatoon 2 launches. There's plenty of games there to fill your time, but for the average consumer, there's no must-have games besides Zelda. That's fine for me because I have plenty of other systems and just want a Nintendo box, but that's not what everyone wants. But a lack of games is generally what all console launches are like. Hell, Nintendo is already doing a better job for a console in its first year than Sony, who took 3 years to start pumping out games for their machine. I wasn't criticizing Nintendo here, I was just saying these are the problems that come with every launch. You can find articles saying the same thing about the XBO and PS4 in 2013/early 2014. And I'm saying that's good that it's just having the average launch problems, and not a "Nintendo-like" launch problem like unappealing hardware
It's totally fine to criticise Nintendo. On paper this is a terrible launch lineup compared to Wii U's. But Zelda alone is better than any other launch lineup we've seen in quite a while. If people don't care about Zelda that much and don't care about Kart racers, they shouldn't buy Switch until the holidays. Saves money and is the smarter thing to do.

I have a ps4 and a good pc.
I don't really care if my switch plays ps4 games or pc games.

I realize not everyone is in that situation. I just think I am past needing ONE CONSOLE to be my one console.

If Zelda is amazing as the previews have made it sound, then I think I will be just fine with my purchase until Splatoon 2.
I'm in the same boat. Even if there's a huge drought in Nintendo releases, I've got a gigantic backlog on PS4, Xbox and Steam anyway. It's a privileged position for sure. Other than maybe kids or people who reaaaaally love Mario I wouldn't advise anyone to get Switch as their primary or only console. I like Nintendo games but I appreciate the variety a PS4 brings.

I really hope Nintendo has a response for these problems (or they are fixed by the launch firmware update). I don't think it's going to affect me because of the distance I sit from my consoles, but they really can't afford to be releasing hardware with major flaws.
I don't know. This test looks fine to me tbh. Why would you obscure a Joy-Con while playing a game? What throws me off though is that SIFTD video that showed a controller not syncing at all and it seemed to bve right next to the TV.

Too many of these reviews are saying you should really play with the Pro controller. Amazon for some reason won't ship mine til next Tuesday.

The concept of a split controller is very enticing and having them both wireless is bonus, so a shame about the size and comfort. If and when Nintendo starts releasing additional joycons, I'd be interested in bulkier ones sacrificing portability for comfort. I'll only ever take it out of the dock to play on a balcony or around the home anyway.

In what sense was the Wii U's lineup even slightly comparable?

Wii U had Zombi U, Nintendoland, NSMBU, a handful of late, crap ports and almost nothing else until Pikmin the next August. The Wii U's launch lineup and launch window was unparalleled crap.

oti

Banned
In what sense was the Wii U's lineup even slightly comparable?

Wii U had Zombi U, Nintendoland, NSMBU, a handful of late, crap ports and almost nothing else until Pikmin the next August. The Wii U's launch lineup and launch window was unparalleled crap.

ZombiU was a cool game.

I might have to rewatch the Wii U launch livestream tomorrow I think. If I remember right about half of it was them trying to connect the systems to the office WiFi!

Dineren

Banned
I don't know. This test looks fine to me tbh. Why would you obscure a Joy-Con while playing a game? What throws me off though is that SIFTD video that showed a controller not syncing at all and it seemed to bve right next to the TV.

It's not so much Eurogamer's results I'm worried about (though I know plenty of people who like to hide their consoles in entertainment centers so they aren't visible), but the issue in general. There have been so many previews mentioning the connection issues that it seems clear there is a problem even during normal gameplay when you aren't purposely obscuring the joycon. I'll be curious to hear how much it affected Dan during his Zelda playthrough.

I'm still hoping it's something simple like boosting power to the radio with a firmware update.

What time does this Switch stream start on Friday?

I don't think they've said yet.

I might have to rewatch the Wii U launch livestream tomorrow I think. If I remember right about half of it was them trying to connect the systems to the office WiFi!

For some reason any time I remember early Wii U coverage all I remember is that Gamespot/Giant Bomb cross over show where they played a lot of the Lego City game.

I've just looked it up, and I can't BELIEVE how shit launch for the 3DS was. Pilotwings, Nintendogs, a Super Street Fighter IV port, Ghost Recon, and absolutely nothing else worth playing.

What the hell did I do with that thing until Ocarina came out?

ZombiU was a cool game.
It was profoundly alright.

It was a standout in that launch lineup, but that says much more about how the Wii U launched than anything else.

I've just looked it up, and I can't BELIEVE how shit launch for the 3DS was. Pilotwings, Nintendogs, a Super Street Fighter IV port, Ghost Recon, and absolutely nothing else worth playing.

What the hell did I do with that thing until Ocarina came out?

I bought the 3DS at launch and I have absolutely no memory of what game/s I got with it :S

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Dan not being in the Taco Bell contest is basically like that time Daniel Bryan wasn't in the royal rumble, the man is trying to keep him down

daveo42

Banned
Switch apologists out in full force in that hardware thread. Low score? Scores a dumb ya'll. Negative review in any way? They just don't get it or just hating on Nintendo because it's Nintendo.

So the Taco Bell wedding thing has started and Dan isn't even in the voting list?

Great start lol

Dan's not on the list because Dan's already won.

Top 10 finalists are based on votes, and he'd almost definitely get in because of that. But the actual winner is determined by a panel of judges, so it's not like he was an automatic win. So I don't see them disqualifying him for tipping the scales or whatever.

However, he did include screenshots of tweets in his video, some of which include brand names like "Mortal Kombat," and the contest rules say not to include any trademarks other than Taco Bell. I wonder if that's what knocked him out?

Top Bottom