• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Dan didn't make the cut?
this_is_bullshit_the_wire.gif

Hindl

Switch apologists out in full force in that hardware thread. Low score? Scores a dumb ya'll. Negative review in any way? They just don't get it or just hating on Nintendo because it's Nintendo.

Dan's not on the list because Dan's already won.

I don't even see that many negative reviews. Granted I skimmed but the reviews mostly say that the hardware is sleek and well designed, but it's pricy, there's the Joycon issue, and the battery life isn't great. And most say they like it but the recommendation is to wait. I dunno what they are complaining about.

As a side note, besides the Wii, when was the last time most major outlets were urging people to get a new console at launch? Feels like every generation the recommendation is to wait a little bit

Salarians

Taco Bell just shot themselves in the foot.

I don’t know how much the rest of you know about fast food culture (I’m an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It’s not like it is in games press where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in fast food, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the fast food public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase these tacos, nor will they purchase any of Taco Bell’s other food products. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Taco Bell has alienated an entire market with this move.

Taco Bell, publicly apologize and give Dan a wedding or you can kiss your business goodbye.

daveo42

Banned
I don't even see that many negative reviews. Granted I skimmed but the reviews mostly say that the hardware is sleek and well designed, but it's pricy, there's the Joycon issue, and the battery life isn't great. And most say they like it but the recommendation is to wait. I dunno what they are complaining about.

As a side note, besides the Wii, when was the last time most major outlets were urging people to get a new console at launch? Feels like every generation the recommendation is to wait a little bit

I think people are latching onto that IGN review for its "poor" score as well as anyone suggesting that build quality is good, but it's not near as high for the price. Also, the wait reviews, even when that seems to be the trend, might seem like an attack on those in support of Nintendo. I kind of agree with the idea of waiting in this case unless, like most have stated, that you absolutely need to play Zelda and want to play it on the Switch.

Taco Bell just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about fast food culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in game's press where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in fast food, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the fast food public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase these tacos, nor will they purchase any of Taco Bell's other food products. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Taco Bell has alienated an entire market with this move.

Taco Bell, publicly apologize and give Dan a wedding or you can kiss your business goodbye.

bbbgfu8n.gif

I'll never get tired of this.

edit: Wait, that's the same user lol

This got me.

daveo42

Banned

That user fails to realize the issue was because it was dropped. Did Jeff mention if he had them locked as well? He was saying something on the podcast that there's a latch to hold it and an actual lock on the bottom of the joycons to hold them firmly in place.

The quoted post isn't much better...

edit: Wait, that's the same user lol

It's like what a little kid would do to get attention.

If Danswers taught me anything about Dan, the more he wants something to happen, the less chance it has to happen. Like in his college days.

"Didn't know"..."Just broke"

What does that even mean?

That user fails to realize the issue was because it was dropped. Did Jeff mention if he had them locked as well? He was saying something on the podcast that there's a latch to hold it and an actual lock on the bottom of the joycons to hold them firmly in place.

Jeff even mentioned at the exact same time that he had dropped it and talked about it not looking like anything broke. Seems like there is just something that's not completely perceivable off hand that has a potential of breaking.

Nerokis

Switch apologists out in full force in that hardware thread. Low score? Scores a dumb ya'll. Negative review in any way? They just don't get it or just hating on Nintendo because it's Nintendo.

The three key parts of every (major) review thread:

1). Reactions to the reviews themselves. It's usually possible to interpret reviews in a number of ways, with plenty of room to justify whatever preexisting bias you have. Since it's usually the more invested people who actually post in a review thread, their bias is typically easy to spot. Examples: emphasizing either positive or negative reviews, selective nuance ("but did you actually read the 6/10 review???"), etc.

2). Then we have the reactions to the reactions. People meta-commenting also tend to be especially invested, and maneuver through all the reactions with their own biases. The post above strikes me as a good example: calling out "Switch apologists", not calling out other unreasonable people, and underemphasizing the levelheaded discussion unfolding in the thread in question.

3). Personal bias isn't the only distorting or guiding force in all this, either. There's also the Review Thread Game. Whenever you post your reaction to something, you can't simply contribute your personal thoughts in a genuine, straightforward way. You have to consider how you'll be changing the overall balance of positivity or negativity in a thread. You have to consider, "Does my post shit on Nintendo fans, or dismiss Nintendo haters?" If the answer is no, you've left the thread narratives to other people, and haven't fully utilized your voice.

Meguro

Banned
I think I'm gonna stop reading Gaming general again.
These posts are making me feel bad for being a nintendo "fan".

ev0

I stopped looking at it after the first day, but I was always curious what was going on in that Horizon review thread that it was always near the top of the first page every time I came to gaf (I probably dont want to know)

But man, some Nintendo fans are just cray cray. That last linked comment about Jeff was bording on honor and shame tier...

I think I'm gonna stop reading Gaming general again.
These posts are making me feel bad for being a nintendo "fan".

Long ago I learned you're not a (insert company) fan unless you're willing to send death threats to those who besmirch their name and pose a threat to fiscal earnings. I settled on being a fan of Nintendo and Zelda.

As someone who drops shit all the time, I'm glad to know that if I dropped my Switch I might irreversibly fuck it. Not that it matters, because Jeff has been extremely transparent with how he's using the switch and how he dropped it, and the only way you could think he's trying to present lies is if you only got tidbits of his impressions through gifs and blurbs.

daveo42

Banned
2). Then we have the reactions to the reactions. People meta-commenting also tend to be especially invested, and maneuver through all the reactions with their own biases. The post above strikes me as a good example: calling out "Switch apologists", not calling out other unreasonable people, and underemphasizing the levelheaded discussion unfolding in the thread in question.

Review threads rarely have levelheaded discussion in them or it usually gets drowned out by haters and apologists.

I used the term, btw, as a mix of actual snark with a healthy dose of reality. There are a fair number of people who will dismiss anything remotely negative about a system because Zelda. The seemingly lack of ecosystem present in previous consoles or handhelds at launch (except eShop), the lack of games at launch, and the cost of entry (which seems to include the need for a $70 controller to play comfortably at home) are personal concerns and reasons why I'm passing on the Switch for now. The whole Switch release comes off as half baked and that along with the above should be part of the discussion, not dismissed as anti-Nintendo comments.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Also do people actually follow reviews for gaming purchases nowadays? I usually look at a video (quick look for example) and I can usually tell pretty quickly if a game is for me or not.

Meguro

Banned
Also do people actually follow reviews for gaming purchases nowadays? I usually look at a video (quick look for example) and I can usually tell pretty quickly if a game is for me or not.

I like reading game critique.
Reviews as buying advice?
I'm with you there. A video or stream are enough for me to tell if I want something or not.

Im usually like that as well but ive got to admit the Horizon review sold me on the game a hell of a lot more than the quick look did this week.

BearPawB

Banned

I do.
I know obvious exceptions. Like I don't care what an EDF game scores, I know I will probably like it.

But for most games I want to know if the game holds up the whole way/has some serious flaw the previews didn't make me aware of.

daveo42

Banned

I tend to like what I like, but will go to reviews or more likely people already interested in the series or game to see what they do or don't like about it. Word of mouth, especially well after release can do wonders as well. I would have never ever played 999 if not for GAF.

Watching GameSpot's video of Yooka-Laylee, man it really is Banjo-Kazooie.
There's even a quiz.

Also seen on GameSpot's Youtube page,

ItstQ5e.png

Top Bottom