• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Hindl

I think I just don't know how to enjoy Zelda games - each one I've played I've disliked (the most I've put in is 5 hours with Ocarina).

Guess I'll find out tomorrow if that holds true with BotW

Out of curiosity, have you ever played Darksiders or Okami? Zelda has pretty unique formula, so if you don't like that formula you won't like the games. But I'm curious if it's something about Zelda specifically or its template. If you like Zelda clones that's a different story

Zaph

Out of curiosity, have you ever played Darksiders or Okami? Zelda has pretty unique formula, so if you don't like that formula you won't like the games. But I'm curious if it's something about Zelda specifically or its template. If you like Zelda clones that's a different story

Loved Darksiders, which is kinda why I'm giving BotW a shot, maybe my taste has changed?

I think I just don't know how to enjoy Zelda games - each one I've played I've disliked (the most I've put in is 5 hours with Ocarina).

Guess I'll find out tomorrow if that holds true with BotW

BOTW is a huge departure from the previous 3D Zelda lock-and-key design. So there's a good chance. It really feels like Zelda's RE4 moment.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I won't say anything bad about DRIVECLUB™ defenders anymore after I ended up seeing the other side as a Street Fighter fan.

Hindl

Loved Darksiders, which is kinda why I'm giving BotW a shot, maybe my taste has changed?

Eh, Darksiders is most like Ocarina. So it may just be something specifically about Zelda that's not for you. Although, BotW seems vastly different than almost all the other Zeldas, so maybe that's just what was needed to draw you in.

I guess I am a terrible bad person because I've never really played a Zelda game. I tried to get into Wind Waker HD and stopped after like 90 minutes. I am watching this BotW quick look and just confused about what makes it so great. It looks like a totally good game but, hmm... Maybe Zelda is just totally not for me. Meanwhile I can't stop thinking about or playing Horizon.

faridmon

This guy really hated it and called it the worst 3D Zelda. He didn't give a score but it reads like a 6/10 max

http://www.zam.com/article/1365/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-review

Nice

Have this posted in the Zelda review thread?

I guess I am a terrible bad person because I've never really played a Zelda game. I tried to get into Wind Waker HD and stopped after like 90 minutes. I am watching this BotW quick look and just confused about what makes it so great. It looks like a totally good game but, hmm... Maybe Zelda is just totally not for me. Meanwhile I can't stop thinking about or playing Horizon.

Don't worry, I never liked the previous zelda games either. The are dull monotone games that are all about have the same structural path throughout.

But the new one is so different that it succeed in getting me excited. Can't wait

TraBuch

Banned
This can't be true. I refuse to believe this nonsense.
You're talking about people who still bring up 8.8.

Wasn't there even a Yoshi's Island speedrun going on when someone donated money to name something Jeff Gerstmann and the speed runner was like "isn't that the 8.8 dude?"

faridmon

The one instance I find genuinely weird on GAF is the Driveclub army.

Like, if you make a thread to, say, talk about how Forza is a pretty cool game, you'll have at least 10 "BUT DRIVECLUB" posts on the first page. Even if nothing in the thread is even about it, or in comparison to it.

I don't even really understand this one. I mean, I've played it. It's a competent driving game. I just don't get where that fervor comes from.

Yep, these people come to mind.

Uncharted fans are always crazy too judging from their posts everywhere.

Hindl

Nice

Have this posted in the Zelda review thread?

Don't worry, I never liked the previous zelda games either. The are dull monotone games that are all about have the same structural path throughout.

But the new one is so different that it succeed in getting me excited. Can't wait

Yeah, the reviewer is actually a gaffer who posted it. It got some people looking at it, and most people were appreciative of the different perspective. But because there was no score I think a lot of people missed it. I can see his point of view, but I don't think I'll feel the same based on what he was describing

I hope BotW is better than the last game to get a metacritic score of 98. I hate GTAIV so much.

I like GTA4 but its not one of the greatest games ever made.

Zelda is probably similar.

But that framerate though. Christ. Its like a PS3 Dark Souls game where the FPS would randomly lock to 15 now and again.

Digital Foundry better be on that.

Wonder if its smoother on Wii U. Maybe the U has a beefier CPU

No_Style

Stupidity lurks in many corners of the internet. Look at the
flak he's gotten just recently over tasting the cart and dropping the Switch.

Dropping the Switch? I can kinda see possibilities for misunderstandings but he's taking flak for tasting the cart? Oh, Nintendo fans...

Gurrry

Call me a giant loser but I got a little choked up reading Dan's review of BoTW.

Some of the things he says in there, especially about how he never thought a game could make him feel the way he did when he was younger, really struck a chord with me.

I really cant wait to play BoTW. I kept telling myself ill wait and play it on my WiiU when I get it fixed... but now im contemplating standing outside of BestBuy tonight and getting a switch.

Either way, great review Dan. I cant wait to play it.

faridmon

I like GTA4 but its not one of the greatest games ever made.

Zelda is probably similar.

But that framerate though. Christ. Its like a PS3 Dark Souls game where the FPS would randomly lock to 15 now and again.

Digital Foundry better be on that.

Wonder if its smoother on Wii U. Maybe the U has a beefier CPU

The framerate isn't that bad hearing what Dan has to say about it.

and its smoother in portable mode so yay.

Hindl

Danny's most recent doc and new episode of Game Maker's Toolkit really shows how Zelda 1 is the best, and all (especially the 3D ones) pale in comparison.

Gives me hope for BotW, since it's hewing so close to the original

That comment section.

To be expected unfortunately. Hell, if they put a score on it we'd probably see some of those comments in the review thread. Hardcore Nintendo fans may not be the worst, but they're close

Regarding framerate, by all accounts the Switch seems better than the Wii U. It's a shame though. It's not a dealbreaker but if it's frequent enough that should knock it down from a perfect 10

Call me a giant loser but I got a little choked up reading Dan's review of BoTW.

Some of the things he says in there, especially about how he never thought a game could make him feel the way he did when he was younger, really struck a chord with me.

I really cant wait to play BoTW. I kept telling myself ill wait and play it on my WiiU when I get it fixed... but now im contemplating standing outside of BestBuy tonight and getting a switch.

100% agreed, except I am getting a switch tonight and the primary reason is Zelda haha. The comments about never thinking a game could make him feel like that again though, so much strong praise for this game from practically everywhere. Peter Brown said its the most impressive game Nintendo has ever made. Trying not to get too hyped but its hard with such glowing praise from nearly everyone.

Gurrry

100% agreed, except I am getting a switch tonight and the primary reason is Zelda haha. The comments about never thinking a game could make him feel like that again though, so much strong praise for this game from practically everywhere. Peter Brown said its the most impressive game Nintendo has ever made. Trying not to get too hyped but its hard with such glowing praise from nearly everyone.

Yeah man, I sent my WiiU in to get it repaired and its on its way back to me... but it wont be here for like a week.

I just called my local bestbuy and he said they will be handing out numbers an hour prior to launch for people who didnt preorder. Im so tempted to go stand in line.

Yeah man, I sent my WiiU in to get it repaired and its on its way back to me... but it wont be here for like a week.

I just called my local bestbuy and he said they will be handing out numbers an hour prior to launch for people who didnt preorder. Im so tempted to go stand in line.

Good luck if you do try to get one :)!

Mostly trying to avoid watching anything about Zelda that's past what was at E3. What I'm hearing is 100% in my wheelhouse, and skimming Dan's review only strengthens that belief. Also take me back to the wonder of playing Morrowind for the first time.

I checked the WiiU eShop this morning and I couldn't even find the store item for BotW. Come the fuck on Nintendo. It's supposed to be out in 12 hours.

I checked the WiiU eShop this morning and I couldn't even find the store item for BotW. Come the fuck on Nintendo. It's supposed to be out in 12 hours.

Interesting you mention that cause I just loaded the eShop on the Switch and I see BoTW :D

EDIT: Kickstand does seem flimsy as hell

Scizzy

Dan's highest and vaguest praise for Zelda ("it just inspires a special feeling inside of me") is coming dangerously close to my own advocacy for Skyrim.

I'm not buying a Switch, so now I'm holding my breath for the inevitable Digital Foundry WiiU roundup.

How does BOTW compare to the best Zelda-style game though?

Monkey_Hero.jpg

Fuuuuu Endurance Run: Zelda BotW would've been the best feature ever. I loved Vinny trolling Dan about how to "solve" puzzles in the QL.

justjim89

Man Zelda looks great. Here's hoping the Cemu version of it gets sorted out in decent time. The way the map stuff works and the systems driven world looks cool as shit. Like a Zelda equivalent of Far Cry 2.

Is it lame I find myself wondering about the story and timeline placement?

justjim89

How do y'all pronounce Kakariko Village?

I've always said "kuh-KAY-rih-koh" with stress on the second syllable. Dan's pronunciation is throwing me off.

Top Bottom