• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

So, erm. Can someone photoshop Drew's 'white guy blinking' gif over Bruce's face in this GIF?

TDKR_alfred_sees_bruce_and_selina.gif

It seems like something that would work well for tonight.

Ultima_5

they need to stop with the forcednhumor on beastcast.
not every single bullet point of what they're talking about has to start with a 2 minute unfunny "bit"

it's getting almost impossible to listen to with how grating it is.

From that "screwed up technology" email, I love how Dan starts it with "This is similar to fucking up BIOS/hacking" and then the story is not that at all.

Curufinwe

they need to stop with the forcednhumor on beastcast.
not every single bullet point of what they're talking about has to start with a 2 minute unfunny "bit"

it's getting almost impossible to listen to with how grating it is.

I don't listen to podcasts I don't enjoy. Maybe try that.

Rainmaker

Banned
I'm usually very critical of bad humor to the point where even I think I can be an ass about it but the Beastcast doesn't ever really come off as forced to me. Just them goofing around

kiguel182

Them goofing around is so good. The whole podcast is great.

Also, everyone talking about the Switch and Zelda is bumming me out since I want one but can't afford it right now! Damn you all.

Instead I finished MGS Scanlon 4 and I'm waiting for MGS V to be in a promo so I can buy it. I'm living in 2015 here!

Mr. F

Banned
Struck out on finding a Switch, was 10 minutes late to walk-in stock at BestBuy and missed a second wave of Amazon stock while on the subway. Will live vicariously through launch streams.

How is it?

Performance wise? It's not bad. It's a bit more aliased than the Switch version. I noticed that right away. I didn't see any big frame drops while I was running around in the main starting area - maybe a frame or two here and there, especially when there are multiple enemies on screen.

I wandered into a heavily wooded area to see if the lighting and stuff put any stress on the machine. I didn't notice anything until there were multiple animals running around me. I startled a group of warthogs which caused them to run around like crazy. This was in the same heavily wooded area, too. It felt like the frames dropped below 25. It wasn't for long long, but some people might have a problem with it.

I played for an hour or so, but didn't leave the starting area.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
hoooly shit this zelda fps is unacceptable

you're out of your mind if you think this game didnt get a free pass. like i'm playing it right now and tis IMMEDIATE

Switch version? Wonder if that patch helped any..

Digital Foundry put up a video this morning comparing the Switch version docks and portable. They mentioned near the end that the update didn't seem to change much with regards to framerates.

Personally, framerate issues never seem to bother me in games. I know other people are more sensitive to it and that's fine, too.

hoooly shit this zelda fps is unacceptable

you're out of your mind if you think this game didnt get a free pass. like i'm playing it right now and tis IMMEDIATE

Seriously. 20 fps is not acceptable.

...actually I dont really care. Framerate was never my major care point.

Struck out on finding a Switch, was 10 minutes late to walk-in stock at BestBuy and missed a second wave of Amazon stock while on the subway. Will live vicariously through launch streams.

I just tried at a local Walmart that doesn't get much business. They had a lot of accessories and pro controllers but didn't see any consoles and there was nobody around to ask. Would have looked more but was just running during my lunch break.

Mr. F

Banned
Digital Foundry tested it with the patch installed and still gets disappointing results (docked).

Digital Foundry put up a video this morning comparing the Switch version docks and portable. They mentioned near the end that the update didn't seem to change much with regards to framerates.

That's really odd, and a big bummer. So that one comment people were rallying around claiming that the patch fixed framerate was complete bunk, I guess.

I really hope it's something that can be ironed out with updates, Nintendo trashing their otherwise pretty solid record on performance would be really disappointing.

justjim89

I've always had a pretty high tolerance for bad framerate. Before I got my big boy PC, I spent years gaming on a laptop. Put 100 hours into Witcher 3 at minimal settings at 18 fps.

Hindl

Sounds like that bump in resolution is killing the docked version. Maybe they should just patch in 720p mode for docked so it can run smoother.

wat, it's smoother in handheld? they need to patch this.

Digital Foundry's theory is that the portable mode is a straight port of the Wii U version, and that's why it's stable. But when you dock it, the resolution increases by roughly 56%, while the bandwidth only increases by 20%. So it's a streaming issue that results from it not being built from the ground up for the Switch. I'm not sure if they can fix it, which is a big shame. It won't bother me much, but anyone sensitive to framerate is going to have a bad time

Here's more details:
From Digital Foundry...

"This is only a theory, but it does make sense based on the data available. Laying out the maths here, docking increases pixel count from 720p to 900p, a 56 per cent in resolution. However, memory bandwidth only rises by 20 per cent, from 1331MHz to 1600MHz. Bandwidth is shared between CPU and GPU, so the higher resolution in the home console mode may be sapping memory bandwidth away from the main processor cores, making us more prone to slowdown when the CPU is under load. Bandwidth concerns may also explain why resolution doesn't scale closer in line with the difference in clock-speeds (307.2MHz or 384MHz undocked, 768MHz docked). "

And not to mention the custom Tegra in the switch has way less memory bandwidth than a standard Tegra, in other words this is a bottleneck that will take a hardware revision rather than a patch to solve.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I guess making Zelda 20fps is one way to make it feel like OoT again. Is the WiiU version any better framerate wise? Really nearly bought a Switch today but glad I held off at least for a couple of weeks and see where the hype lands.

repeater

I think Nintendo probably just intentionally gimped the Zelda framerate in docked mode to help people discover that handheld gaming is the superior way of playing games.

repeater

Here's a message from the Bequest developers on the game's Steam storepage:
Dear users, we changed the name of the game, since it does not meet the coming big update, which will be released today.
The function of maintaining the gameplay will be released only on the next day.
We know that you expect the update, who have already bought the game, and we hope that this update will change your opinion about our game.
Sincerely "TasteGames" we will support all our games.
And after that:
Dear friends, we are releasing the final global update of the game.
The update, you will not find: the old locations, gameplay, story, sound.
List of changes:
- Updated graphics.
- The new plot.
- New sounds and music.
- New Gameplay.
- Non-linear interaction with objects.
- Tasks
- 3 endings
We changed the name, not because of bad reviews, but because of a change of scene in the game.
Wonder if the
scary geetar
is still in there?

Top Bottom