• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

I'm more talking about the moments where you go "that can't be... is it?"

And then you get rewarded for noticing it.

I'm actually surprised at how many I've found so far.

Exactly. Like earlier today I noticed a weird puddle of water and that chain of events led to a surprise boss.

Also, if there's a rock by itself in a weird place, always pick it up.

If it works the way it sounds, the stamp and waypoint system in BotW is simply brilliant. It's the biggest mechanical surprise I saw in the non-spoiler parts of the QL. It's such an elegant way to gamify the map into something that matters to the player.

It's crazy other games haven't given players back control like that. IIRC Dead State sort of does (albeit automatically), but the scale is nowhere near the same. A lot of games avoid the problem entirely by having "discoverable" POIs, like the Witcher 3, Fallouts, or Skyrim; they're generally optional and not nearly as satisfying as making the map yourself, but still serve a vaguely similar purpose.

...Amazon pls hurry.

daveo42

Banned
Woo man...I just finished up that UPF. I think I need to go lay down and cry a little. Thanks for all the memories Drew.

watching that last UPF was extrrrraaaaa weird for me since I was wandering around the CBS offices on Monday whilst waiting to do a GDC thing. Didn't see any of the duders though sadly!
Farewell Drew! It's been a pleasure watching you on the site over the last 5 years I've been tuning in!

<>

watching that last UPF was extrrrraaaaa weird for me since I was wandering around the CBS offices on Monday whilst waiting to do a GDC thing. Didn't see any of the duders though sadly!
Farewell Drew! It's been a pleasure watching you on the site over the last 5 years I've been tuning in!

<>

oh man

they don't go to work on monday

@_@

Skyzard

Banned
Had an amazing time playing botw yesterday night, the range of options they give you to achieve what you want to, and the way the world is (imo very smartly handcrafted and) designed to encourage exploration - oh I just did a challenge where I learned this, I wonder if I can use what I learned to get up this nearby
waterfall
since there wasn't anything behind it when I checked before. There must be something up there. There is.
I bet if I keep going and can make it up this hill there's something there. (There is) but I don't quite have the stamina... I JUST can't make it after numerous tries and waiting for the rain to go away which affects climbing. Decide I need to make elixirs to help. Decide to spend those elixirs helping to tame a wild non-spotted horse. Take him for a ride. Find there's another way round to the top. Get there, complete two cool challenges on either side. Make it down to the bottom to finish off something I rushed past earlier because I was excited to get a horse - receive something that would have made that climb possible.

Watched 40 mins of the GB commentary with Fast and Furious. Then went to sleep, had a nice dream where I was beating a frustrated Jeff at some sort of weird racing thing involving skyscrapers... get woken up by my mechanic telling me there's another issue with my car. Not even mad.

When they said they wanted the player to feel smart playing this, I didn't realise to what extent. I can't think of another game where they nail mechanics and exploration to this degree in an open world. I got a taste of that early on when there was more than one way to do achieve a task that was going to be difficult with my current situation, and managing to find a way to skip past that restriction early on by exploring.

Jintor

There's definitely an or even c tier of Nintendo games you can just toss out. Most of the Mario Sports games have gone straight into a pit for instance

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't actually really care about most Nintendo games outside of pokemon, fire emblem and this particular Zelda.

Internally-developed Nintendo games are almost universally worth playing. It's the collaborations with other companies you need to watch out for- HAL, Game Freak and Intelligent Systems generally make good games, but the likes of Arzest, Camelot or Vanpool don't.

That's maybe stretching it a bit. I can think of plenty of internally-made Nintendo games from within the past decade or so that most people here would agree aren't great.
OK, I'll alter that slightly- internally-made Nintendo games tend to be high quality, well-made examples of their genre. You might not, for example, want to play Nintendogs, but that's a damn well-made one of those.

Dany

Banned
Baby drew chugging the coke. They're showing the video. I've seen this video too many times to count. The only GB video saved onto my desktop
UGH :(

&#55357;&#56877;&#55357;&#56877;&#55357;&#56877;
ryan
&#55357;&#56877;&#55357;&#56877;&#55357;&#56877;

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out. I need to fill some time until Mass Effect releases, so I was thinking I would get a month of premium, and was wondering what you guys think the must-see content of the last year or so is?

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out. I need to fill some time until Mass Effect releases, so I was thinking I would get a month of premium, and was wondering what you guys think the must-see content of the last year or so is?

This is the Run
any Demo Derbies
Game Tapes
GBE Playdate: SMB2
their Premium HITMAN content

Serra

I really miss the old GB in the small office etc. They really need their own area, so they can fuck around more. I dont want gamespot people in there.

GBeast is killing it atm tho.

also: the last UPF was great. GBeast must respond to the challenge!

Dany

Banned
Yo. This really does feel like a eulogy of GB east. Drew did a lot of good. Especially in the icelandic video

Top Bottom