• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahonay

Banned
I missed the pants shock. I'll have to go back and watch it.

My contribution to the GB community fundraising team keeps going up a little. Creeping much closer to my $1,000 goal.

Currently looking at things like this:

IPYL357.jpg

Thanks for nothing Giant Bomb!

DON'T. IT'S A DARK PATH.

Seriously, I fell into a three week pit of looking at the Omega and Analogue MVS console units, researching prices of games, etc.

paul187

I wish WindJammers was on Virtual Console. That and Money Puzzle Exchanger look awesome, but they both aren't on North American VC.

~Kinggi~

Banned
So happy they raised so much.

Kind of surprised though they dont have a news story about it on their site. Had to come here to find the results.

0xCA2

They don't report on things that will make the machines more successful, they report on video game news.

I think that them purposely trying to ignore it is weird and if they really don't care about it at all, since it seemed to be big news and it has heavy implications, they should have reported it and explained why it doesn't really matter.

It seemed like they were specifically not reporting on it BECAUSE they knew so many people wanted to see them report on it - which is really backwards.

If they think it doesn't matter, clearly a lot of others do so it would be worthwhile for them to explain why it doesn't matter.

Patrick said on his Tumblr that he just didn't get around to putting an article up about it , and at this point it's too late as he missed the moment and it wouldn't have any real value as news.

Patrick's Tumblr said:
For example, in retrospect, should I have published a story that least mentioned the resolution difference in Call of Duty: Ghosts? Probably. The reason one didn’t go up on the site wasn’t conspiratorial, I just didn’t get around to it, and doing so now wouldn’t serve any newsworthy purpose, and would only become a ground for people to sling mud at one another. That moment has passed. Could I still work on a feature on the longterm impact of the hardware differences? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

So, not posting an article about that wasn't some sort of statement by GB about the importance of the issue.

EDIT: So what happened? Alexis asked Jeff about the COD stuff?

They don't report on things that will make the machines more successful, they report on video game news.

I think that them purposely trying to ignore it is weird and if they really don't care about it at all, since it seemed to be big news and it has heavy implications, they should have reported it and explained why it doesn't really matter.

It seemed like they were specifically not reporting on it BECAUSE they knew so many people wanted to see them report on it - which is really backwards.

If they think it doesn't matter, clearly a lot of others do so it would be worthwhile for them to explain why it doesn't matter.

No, Jeff's answer had tact and respect for the viewer. No console warz spin, no telling us what to think, no defending those that did those things. "Here are those numbers. This is because X is more powerful than Y. Fin." Some other games media types shoulda been taking notes as how to act from it.

FStop7

Banned
Allow me to further tempt you.

cmvs_walnut_grande.jpg

arcadestick_5.jpg

Or just go all in like I did. Not my cabinet in the pic but mine's the same.

So happy they raised so much.

Kind of surprised though they dont have a news story about it on their site. Had to come here to find the results.

So that kind of brings me to something... where were Alex and Patrick for all of this? I would have thought they could have at least Skyped in, or posted an update to the home page about the results.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Patrick said on his Tumblr he just forgot to put an article up about it , and at this point it's too late as he missed the moment and it wouldn't have any real value as news.

So, not posting an article about that wasn't some sort of statement by GB about the importance of the issue.

EDIT: So what happened? Alexis asked Jeff about the COD stuff?

"He forgot" is not true at all, and not even what he said in that answer. He said he didn't get around to it. He's also said he doesn't care and doesn't consider it important, which would be the real reason he didn't post anything about it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
No, Jeff's answer had tact and respect for the viewer. No console warz spin, no telling us what to think, no defending those that did those things. "Here are those numbers. This is because X is more powerful than Y. Fin." Some other games media types shoulda been taking notes as how to act from it.

I think Jeff's answer was good. The issue is that if Alexis had not mistakenly asked it, Jeff wouldn't have said that. It was really weird for them to just ignore what was a big news story for seemingly no reason other than that people wanted them to report on it. Even if it doesn't ultimately matter to the success of the machines and if it doesn't matter to them it's the kind of thing a lot of people want to hear about and based on all the requests - it's the kind of thing that a lot of people want to hear what their thoughts are on it.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Well they obviously don't really think about it and let other sites deal with that situation and subject.

They have much more important shit to discuss.

Jeff and Vinnie's windjammer rematch being one of them. The other being some discussion about pie.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Okay...sorry, I interpreted that as the same thing. My mistake.

Not your fault, Patrick is being completely disingenuous to claim he didn't get around to it. He chose not to, then was defiant when people asked him about it. Two other answers on his Tumblr where it's clear he just chose not to post about it:

As someone that owns a TV that only goes up to 1080i, I actually don’t really care about 1080p. But there’s a middle ground here, right? Some folks are acting like the sky is falling because of the 720p/1080p split, which is disingenuous because it’s launch time and we’re so quick to forget the problems PS3 games had at the start, too. Most developers I’ve talked to said this won’t continue to be a problem in the future. (Real talk: games are not going to be 60fps/1080p this generation. Want that? Get a PC.)

The dismissive nature from some writers probably stems from exhaustion at watching people tear each other apart over these machines. Every day, it’s a new thing. Every day, it’s another forum thread. I’ll be nice when these machines just came out, so we could actually have something to argue about.

I’m only telling you what I’ve heard.

As for CoD: I’m not ignoring it, we just didn’t put a note about it on the site. I fail to see what the big deal is? We barely run any news. Giant Bomb is not a one stop shop. Never has been, never will be.

Llamas.

kai3345

Banned
idk why tricky is even acknowledging those awful tumblr questions. i feel like that will just encourage more people to send that shit to him

Bedlam

Chrisssssst.
I honestly pity those worst of the worst of internet douchebags. They must lead very empty lives. What brings a normal human being to type shit like that? Pure frustration and anger.

And agreed with other posters here: Patrick shouldn't have honored that "question" with a reply.

fourstorks

Neo Member
I legitimately worried if Jeff drove home OK. Driving tired is no joke.

I'm with you, man.

I had a 9 hour drive to visit family for the holidays once and at that time I got off work around 11PM. I figured I'd be fine doing the trip through the night and get there in the morning.

Ended up freaking out a little bit 7 hours in because I was starting to see overpasses in the pitch black night that didn't exist. The only thing that kept me going that long was the loud music, open window, and calling my insomniac friend every couple hours.

Can't imagine trying to drive well, let alone trusting myself, on zero sleep.

Xyrmellon

I don't follow Patrick on tumblr, and I hate to add fuel to the fire (but I will) but that comment about them not posting news looks like a shot at the direction they have gone since he moved and Ryan passed. The llamas ending makes it seem more so. Jeff has definitely taken things in a more carefree and generally goofy direction. After Ryan they probably needed to. I could see where he'd be miffed about it though.

And Patrick, if I'm full of shit feel free to say so, I'm a fan and it won't bother me.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I don't follow Patrick on tumblr, and I hate to add fuel to the fire (but I will) but that comment about them not posting news looks like a shot at the direction they have gone since he moved and Ryan passed. The llamas ending makes it seem more so. Jeff has definitely taken things in a more carefree and generally goofy direction. After Ryan they probably needed to. I could see where he'd be miffed about it though.

And Patrick, if I'm full of shit feel free to say so, I'm a fan and it won't bother me.

I didn't interpret it that way. They really don't post about every story that other sites post. I just took the llamas bit as "I think this whole thing is ridiculous."

For the record, I don't have a problem with them not posting anything about it. I just think he's full of shit when he's saying he didn't get to it as though it wasn't a conscious decision after a point to not post about it. Even by claiming it's too late, there are plenty of sites with stories posted today if you google "Call of Duty 720p." If they don't want to put a story up about it, stay with that. It really isn't significant enough to complain about not making a headline on their site. It deserves a few lines in the review if they do a written review. Bring it up during the Quicklook, that's about all the attention it really needs. Don't try to act like it was something that slipped through the cracks though.

OMG Aero

idk why tricky is even acknowledging those awful tumblr questions. i feel like that will just encourage more people to send that shit to him
Yeah, I stopped following Patrick on Tumblr a few days ago because of things like that. Instead of him actually answering questions, like most of his posts now are just stupid gif responses to stupid posts.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Yeah, I stopped following Patrick on Tumblr a few days ago because of things like that. Instead of him actually answering questions, like most of his posts now are just stupid gif responses to stupid posts.

Yyyep. Me too. I even brought it up and he just - as I expected - responded with a GIF.

I started following him because I was genuinely interested in the things he had to say. Lately, though, he just hasn't seemed worth listening to.

I kinda want to see yesterday's stream, has anyone posted the timestamps off all the stuff they did/played?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...UNpUjQtU3Y5SXdkNG9xbjkwelE&toomany=true#gid=0

I think Jeff's answer was good. The issue is that if Alexis had not mistakenly asked it, Jeff wouldn't have said that. It was really weird for them to just ignore what was a big news story for seemingly no reason other than that people wanted them to report on it. Even if it doesn't ultimately matter to the success of the machines and if it doesn't matter to them it's the kind of thing a lot of people want to hear about and based on all the requests - it's the kind of thing that a lot of people want to hear what their thoughts are on it.

Jeff probably wouldn't have said anything about it until he wasn't embargoed or until one of the console launch streams where he can actually compare the two.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Jeff probably wouldn't have said anything about it until he wasn't embargoed or until one of the console launch streams where he can actually compare the two.

It wasn't about "Will PS4 cod look better than XONE cod" it was more their reactions to the news. Hearing the news of resolution differences has big implications for the practical difference between the power of the two machines and if they think it really doesn't matter it would have been worthwhile for them to explain to people why it doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom