• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

But why. It's a legitimate discussion.

It's a legitimate discussion when people can sit and compare in person the difference between the two versions.

Until then, it's just a couple numbers on paper. And given what Jeff has said, is it such a big deal if the XB1 is 720p but has a rock-solid framerate while the PS4 is 1080p but fluctuates?

Basically, we need all the facts before we can have a real discussion.

Dragon

Banned
It is more people who insist everyone take it as seriously as they do and pick a side. Alex is the perfect person to address it as everyone hates him anyway :D

I don't hate Alex but I think it's telling Alex usually reviews the ultra shitty games.

It's a legitimate discussion when people can sit and compare in person the difference between the two versions.

Until then, it's just a couple numbers on paper. And given what Jeff has said, is it such a big deal if the XB1 is 720p but has a rock-solid framerate while the PS4 is 1080p but fluctuates?

When did Jeff say the XB1 version has a rock solid framerate?

We have facts. There's only one non 1080p PS4 launch game AFAIK.

Mesoian

Wow. Patrick groaning into the microphone for 30 seconds is the exact thing I needed to make me never want to watch this show ever again.

There's no compressor on the feed dude, cut it out.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I think the Forza stuff on Bombin' in the A.M. is the last straw for me.

komplanen

Wow. Patrick groaning into the microphone for 30 seconds is the exact thing I needed to make me never want to watch this show ever again.

There's no compressor on the feed dude, cut it out.

I'm a little sick and slightly annoyed to begin with. That part almost made me close the stream. I still like what Patrick is saying though. I think both of them are relatively level-headed about their statement that this is just the launch games and the real shit begins when we actually compare a little more finalized games running on actual next-gen engines.

Dragon

Banned
Not all of them though.

Surely we can make an informed comment about what we do have, and then change it when and if new information comes. Instead of this wait and see approach that is about as interesting as watching grass grow.

Let's say for the sake of argument that it does. What will the tone of the conversation be around here?

Oh man is Brad breaking dat NDA?!

I'd say then that Infinity Ward should have knocked down the resolution in the PS4 version if that's the case.

BTW, big kudos on lasting those 25 hours, I admire the hell out of you. Don't think I could do it.

BearPawB

Banned
When did Jeff say the XB1 version has a rock solid framerate?
/QUOTE]

Let's say for the sake of argument that it does. What will the tone of the conversation be around here?

This matches with rumblings i have heard Re: ben kuchera on twitter. Xbox one, lower res, stable framerate. Ps4, higher res, but some hitches

I think the message is to not buy CoD: Ghosts on either platform

*Just looked at Ben's twitter, he was just musing as well..so who knows.

Dragon

Banned
This matches with rumblings i have heard Re: ben kuchera on twitter. Xbox one, lower res, stable framerate. Ps4, higher res, but some hitches

I'm not buying Ghosts anyway, games like Contrast and Resogun are far more interesting. All I'll say about Kuchera is I take what he says with a huge grain of salt.

f0rk

Surely we can make an informed comment about what we do have, and then change it when and if new information comes. Instead of this wait and see approach that is about as interesting as watching grass grow.

People have taken it way further than 'informed comment' though.
And your second sentence makes it just sound like everything is boring unless there is mad drama.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year

Yeah, that's what I get for posting from my iPad.

Let me stress I'm not saying it's one way or the other, as I haven't played Ghosts on any platform. But I'm incredibly curious what the reaction would be around here if the other shoe dropped and it turned out neither version was ideal. Would everyone who spit fire about this issue backpedal or stick to their guns?

Massa

It's not the two versions of this or that game that makes it an interesting discussion. It's the fact that two consoles built with the same architecture, coming out within a week of each other, and with a $100 price difference are showing a 125% performance delta, which is far bigger than any 360/PS3 game over the course of this entire generation.

Call of Duty 2013 being different doesn't make it interesting, what makes it interesting is what it says about the overall direction of the two companies when developing these consoles.

Curufinwe

How did it affect you when Battlefield 4 was revealed to run at a higher average framerate, and have more effects on the PS4? As well as running at a higher resolution.

Having moved ahead in terms of image quality, there's no doubt that Sony's new platform comes out on top overall in the performance metrics too. This is best demonstrated in matching sequences, such as a cut-scene on a Shanghai river where it commands a constant 2-4fps lead, and likewise during the tearing apart of a battleship. In terms of gameplay, the gap widens further during the cannister explosion on the Fishing in Baku stage, with a disparity at well above these numbers - the PS4 regaining 60fps much faster than the fluctuating Xbox One code. We see occasional XO wins in like-for-like testing too, but in our single-player tests, it is clearly the PS4 code that is in the ascendant.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Xbone version ran at a higher average frame rate given it is pushing more than a million less pixels. Except for the fact that the Xbone version is embargoed for an extra week. It seems strange to hide good news like that.

BearPawB

Banned

Let me stress I'm not saying it's one way or the other, as I haven't played Ghosts on any platform. But I'm incredibly curious what the reaction would be around here if the other shoe dropped and it turned out neither version was ideal. Would everyone who spit fire about this issue backpedal or stick to their guns?

I think it is an interesting issue. And depends on the severity of the frame drops. How often/noticeable. I think a lot of people would take a better image quality and not worry about a few frame dips now and then.

*edit but if it is stutter city...then man that could really wreck how a game like CoD plays

I would pretend I'm Chow Yun Fat :p

Dragon

Banned
People have taken it way further than 'informed comment' though.
And your second sentence makes it just sound like everything is boring unless there is mad drama.

I think making a definitive statement based on what information we do know is way more interesting, yes. Whether you create the false equivalence that I'm saying no drama = boring is not up to me to argue.

This whole situation is obviously fucked, the hardcore people are being patronized by a not insignificant percentage of the gaming press and they're responding with typical vitriol. I don't trust someone like Ben Kuchera to do anything but editorialize, reporting seems to be a lost form for these peeps.

Lunzio

You know the guns will be hella sticky.

pax217

Giant Bomb's community just gets shittier by the day. But because they're so good at ignoring it; doesn't change the site, thank God.

Brashnir

Like with every console generation, 90+% of people on the internet only care about performance differences when their team has the better performance. When their team is losing, it doesn't matter.

Dragon

Banned
clearly the community that raised 100k for charity

Yeah I was about to say, not exactly the right time to call the community shitty.

Like with every console generation, 90+% of people on the internet only care about performance differences when their team has the better performance. When their team is losing, it doesn't matter.

Strawman arguments like these are pretty damn pointless I must say.

pax217

What exactly are you referring to?

It just seems like as the site grows (or adds users, or whatever term) the level of quality in the comments, conversation, etc from the community has just dropped. The chat in that stream just reminded me of this, is all.

I'd suppose this could be said for any place on the internet, though. I'm not knocking Giant Bomb, I'm knocking what a shitty place the internet can be.

lol51

Damn resolution deniers.

Resolution is best. I would disable AA, grass detail, and even shadows before I reduce my resolution.

In your heart you know that is true too. Ask yourself, to get framerate up in battlefield 4 you would turn preset settings to Low before reducing resolution to x720?

TentPole

It wouldn't make a difference. You would still be in a situation where Infinity Ward feels that the resolution to performance trade of was acceptable on the PS4 and whatever that trade off on the X1 is it is unacceptable. SO even then it would still serve as an indication that the PS4 is more powerful at a cheaper price point. Know that still might not be important to some people but it is to most people following this whole thing.

I love you Brad

komplanen

But I'm incredibly curious what the reaction would be around here if the other shoe dropped and it turned out neither version was ideal. Would everyone who spit fire about this issue backpedal or stick to their guns?

For someone who has already stated on numerous venues that you are bored and fed up with this discussion and that the children on the forums should just wait quietly, having you show up here now that there's a scratch on the PS4's armor is a little ironic. I'm actually more on your side on this but this sudden interest makes me laugh.

It wouldn't really change the argument at all. "Resolution is the end all be all of graphics, especially Call of Duty" was never really the argument; it was the revelation that the PS4'S on paper advantage actually translated into a significant difference in real world number crunching, and that instead of owning up to it and trying to focus on games, Microsoft kept trying to obfuscate and spin the issue in a way that came off as insulting.

Massa

I suppose you're in the 10% that is rational and capable of having an intelligent discussion about performance differences between products being released in the near future? Products which will significantly impact the discussion in video game oriented web sites, such as this and Giant Bomb, for the next decade?

What a surprise a wild Brad "No Opinion" Shoemaker appears.

Getting sick of so called journalists down playing the issue. While I agree people are taking a bit too far it is a legitimate issue. One that "journalists" are afraid to talk about just in case they upset someone and don't get their free console.

Idiots like Klepek and Navarro groaning and being condescending towards the people who support the site that employs them really gets on my tits.

Erasus

Oh, you mean like last (this?) gen when it was almost always the opposite and 50p less resolution and lower shadow detail on PS3 was a HUGE DEAL in DF threads? And people where right. Numbers dont lie. "The other shoe" was the case almost every multiplat last gen, only 2010 onwards did PS3 catch up in multiplats.

On the case of CoD Ghosts, the PS4 version not hitting solid 60 is bad.
IW should have put in some dynamic resolution like WipeoutHD, or just bumped it down to BF4s 1600x900. Or had a simple toggle in the options menu between the 2?

Ketch

Would everyone who spit fire about this issue backpedal or stick to their guns?

Ehhh I don't know. That's a dangerous proposition because it requires lending some credence to their hotair to begin with.

I would imagine it just fades into the background, until the next "big thing" pops up.

It wouldn't really change the argument at all. "Resolution is the end all be all of graphics, especially Call of Duty" was never really the argument; it was the revelation that the PS4'S on paper advantage actually translated into a significant difference in real world number crunching.

This is where you lose me. How is this a revelation in any way? Did people think that the on paper specs wouldn't translate to a performance increase in the real world? It's not like Microsoft has been putting up billboards with "Xbox is is more powerful than the PS4". Were people that doubtful that this real world translation would occur? To me it was a no brainer and I skipped over the COD news without even flinching because it was so obvious.

TentPole

What a surprise a wild Brad "No Opinion" Shoemaker appears.

Getting sick of so called journalists down playing the issue. While I agree people are taking a bit too far it is a legitimate issue. One that "journalists" are afraid to talk about just in case they upset someone and don't get their free console.

Idiots like Klepek and Navarro groaning and being condescending towards the people who support the site that employs them really gets on my tits.

I really don't think that is it.

This is where you lose me. How is this a revelation in any way? Did people think that the on paper specs wouldn't translate to a performance increase in the real world? It's not like Microsoft has been putting up billboards with "Xbox is is more powerful than the PS4". Were people that doubtful that this real world translation would occur? To me it was a no brainer and I skipped over the COD news without even flinching because it was so obvious.

Well for a long time Brad in particular seemed pretty convinced that there would be no real world difference.

BearPawB

Banned
Oh, you mean like last (this?) gen when it was almost always the opposite and 50p less resolution and lower shadow detail on PS3 was a HUGE DEAL in DF threads? And people where right. Numbers dont lie. "The other shoe" was the case almost every multiplat last gen, only 2010 onwards did PS3 catch up in multiplats.

On the case of CoD Ghosts, the PS4 version not hitting solid 60 is bad.
IW should have put in some dynamic resolution like WipeoutHD, or just bumped it down to BF4s 1600x900. Or had a simple toggle in the options menu between the 2?

"a huge deal in DF threads" does not mean its a huge deal to most people.....

Dragon

Banned

Albert Penello thought it was a big enough deal to come in here and make promises about the performance difference not being anywhere close to as big as said on here.

FStop7

Banned
I still see it as two separate but related topics. The first being that there seems to be a significant gap in performance between the two and that saying there's barely a difference between 720p and 1080p is disingenuous as hell. The second and (IMO) more important issue being that neither of these boxes appear to have made an appropriate leap in performance vs. their predecessors given how much time has passed.

Curufinwe

No billboards, but Penello and Nelson have both made public statements disputing there would be any sort of noticeable difference in games because of the hardware difference.

Then we got the Battlefield 4 evidence and they went silent.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
This is where you lose me. How is this a revelation in any way? Did people think that the on paper specs wouldn't translate to a performance increase in the real world?
Most people are incapable of understanding what specs translate to.

Patryn

It's not the two versions of this or that game that makes it an interesting discussion. It's the fact that two consoles built with the same architecture, coming out within a week of each other, and with a $100 price difference are showing a 125% performance delta, which is far bigger than any 360/PS3 game over the course of this entire generation.

Call of Duty 2013 being different doesn't make it interesting, what makes it interesting is what it says about the overall direction of the two companies when developing these consoles.

I guess I just don't feel that the delta can truly be discussed until we have the games in hand which exhibit that delta. And I do mean in hand, simply reading about how one game is X while another is Y isn't really enough.

Until then it seems that this discussion is way too couched in maybes, possibles and shoulds.

komplanen

"a huge deal in DF threads" does not mean its a huge deal to most people.....

Neither Giant Bomb or NeoGAF are websites for "most people". Also sites like IGN and Eurogamer that are, have been running comparison videos and even an interview about this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom