• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, I can't play Dota because it makes me froth at the mouth, so Dad I mean Brad needs to take one for the team so we can all live vicariously through him!

I just watched last week's UPF and they need to do a playthrough of a real man's visual novel. I think that just like Persona 4 they'll grow to appreciate yet another thing a bit more.

I'm just ER begging, right?

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
Like how the 360 got auto updating cloud saves first, right. And the controller is so much better, right. All objective facts, no ignorant BS or purely subjective opinions involved.

-System-level game invites, voice chat, and party system

-Universal hard drive installs

-Better achievement and social hooks

-Vastly superior save and DRM management per my previous post

Hopefully that's enough ignorant BS for you?

Also I'm not sure the auto-updates are actually much of a selling point since the feature was only introduced to alleviate the system's atrociously long patching times. MS had the sense to limit title updates to 4mb early on to prevent that specific problem until broadband became more saturated.

That's kind of the difference. In general the 360 at least felt from the beginning like a platform designed by people with experience building software (and granted, plenty of Microsoft software is pretty awful). The PS3 feels like a system designed by people who make entertainment devices, who were suddenly tasked with building a broader platform with a more robust variety of features. It often feels about as elegant as a VCR.

rudds

Dear Rudds,

I just purchased a year long subscription to your website, and Dota 2 just updated with a brand new patch. Coincidence? I think it's time for you to get back on the dota 2 horse and get some big W's. You need to pull your weight around the website, the lack of dota content on the Giant Dota Cast is appalling.​

Signed

A Concerned Fan

Thanks for your support! I made this just for you.

Screen%20Shot%202013-10-21%20at%202.50.41%20PM.png

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Like I mentioned in the QL, we noticed about half a second of input lag being introduced by the recording equipment right before we started rolling, but we didn't have time to stop and debug it with the afternoon live show approaching. So it was either solve the problem and have no QL, or record it under less than ideal circumstances. If the worst result of that is another litany of people proclaiming I'm terrible at video games, c'est la vie I guess.

For what it's worth, I think it might be better in that situation to hold off because it can tend to give a misleading view of the game. It makes the controls seem sluggish, when it might just be your guys equipment.

Huh, I don't recall that.

He totally does mention it, but the way Jeff laughed at him about it immediately after I thought he might have just been making up excuses.

Curufinwe

-System-level game invites, voice chat, and party system

-Universal hard drive installs

-Better achievement and social hooks

-Vastly superior save and DRM management per my previous post

Hopefully that's enough ignorant BS for you?

Also I'm not sure the auto-updates are actually much of a selling point since the feature was only introduced to alleviate the system's atrociously long patching times. MS had the sense to limit title updates to 4mb early on to prevent that specific problem until broadband became more saturated.

That's kind of the difference. In general the 360 at least felt from the beginning like a platform designed by people with experience building software (and granted, plenty of Microsoft software is pretty awful). The PS3 feels like a system designed by people who make entertainment devices, who were suddenly tasked with building a broader platform with a more robust variety of features. It often feels about as elegant as a VCR.

Auto-updating cloud saves refers to game saves that automatically upload to the cloud. They are a very useful feature independent of the size of system updates, which is why Microsoft also added them eventually.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/08/09/ps3-system-software-update-v3-70/

You just listed some things you think the 360 was better at than the PS3. It's hardly every conceivable level as you claimed on the last page. As for the PS3 being less elegant than the 360, which of the bloated, ad-filled 360 dashboards fits that description? Because I don't prefer any of them to the elegance of the XMB.

StuBurns

Banned
For what it's worth, I think it might be better in that situation to hold off because it can tend to give a misleading view of the game. It makes the controls seem sluggish, when it might just be your guys equipment.
Why does recording introduce greater latency? The recording can't be intercepting the consoles functionality, it has to be post-rendering anyway. Or is just because it's recorded before it's displayed? In which case, there must be a recording post-display alternative.

rudds

Auto-updating cloud saves refers to game saves that automatically upload to the cloud. They are a very useful feature independent of the size of system updates, which is why Microsoft also added them eventually.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/08/09/ps3-system-software-update-v3-70/

You just listed some things you think the 360 was better at than the PS3. It's hardly every conceivable level as you claimed on the last page. As for the PS3 being less elegant than the 360, which of the bloated, ad-filled 360 dashboards fits that description? Because I don't prefer any of them to the elegance of the XMB.

The XMB is a much more elegant design, but the way the actual features are laid out among the various categories is arbitrary and borderline nonsensical. It doesn't help that they keep moving things like trophies and Netflix from one column to another.

I barely see the 360 dashboard because all of the meaningful functionality is one or two button presses away via the guide or the top-left buttons that are highlighted by default on each page. Sure it's rotten with ads, but they don't actually impede access to the things that matter, and I'll defer to the machine with the better functionality every time.*

*except Netflix, that Xbox app is utter garbage

i heard that brad is literally hitler and dracula irl and he spends his days in his nazi castle deliberately not doing his super easy podcast work and being bad at games

Curufinwe

What meaningful functionality is hard to get to on the XMB?

I can only recall them moving the Trophy placement once, from Game to Network. Surely that's not too big of a change to deal with.

I should add that I do love the universal hard drive installs on the 360 for reducing disc access noise & wear and tear on the drive, and for improving load times. Hell, I even installed Halo 3 even though it made the load times longer.

I think the people who believe Giant Bomb has some bias against Sony/PS3/PS4 are some of the most misguided and sad individuals in the community. One might say... they live a life of perceived slights.

StuBurns

Banned
I think the people who believe Giant Bomb has some bias against Sony/PS3/PS4 are some of the most misguided and sad individuals in the community. One might say... they live a life of perceived slights.
Well, a couple of things, none of the three people in the last couple of pages that alluded to Brad being a fanboy said anything about some sort of institutional fanboyism, Brad is not 'Giant Bomb'. Nor did they suggest being a fanboy extended to any sort of bias whatsoever. They've even had a Sony GotY winner.

Dragon

Banned
i heard that brad is literally hitler and dracula irl and he spends his days in his nazi castle deliberately not doing his super easy podcast work and being bad at games

Chinner is that you?

I think it's dangerous to get upset about a generalization while generalizing yourself. It makes sense they prefer the 360, especially considering the save file shit they have to deal with, with the 3DS. Why would anyone mind that they prefer things that make their job easier? That'd be stupid.

Brad over the past few months has downplayed the technical advantage between the PS4 and XBO. Again that's fine, the jury is out even though the raw numbers are in. I just thought that Watch Dogs comment was bizarre.

Truly I'm sorry I even brought it up because I would rather not stress a dude out that's obviously dealing with BART being assholes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There's a solution here that involves a HAM radio.
Oh god, that would be glorious. I wish there was a way to patch in HAM radio audio into a mixer!

Sorry, I'd left the thread open in a tab last week sometime and just looked at it again today. Should have looked to see how many pages behind I was; didn't mean to dredge up posts from that long ago.
Brad, did you see Gravity? I know Drew did because of the movie podcast, but I don't think you've brought it up. As a fellow Space nerd, do you think it's a great movie, or the GREATEST movie? (Just ignore all the inaccuracies!)

valeo

Quite funny how certain people are retrospectively damning the 360 just because Microsoft have thus far ballsed up the X1. The 360 was, without a doubt, a better console for the majority of this generation. I am not a fanboy - I owned both consoles and if I do buy a console this gen it will likely be a PS4 - but anyone who doesn't admit that the 360 was easily the better console this gen has their blinkers on.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Quite funny how certain people are retrospectively damning the 360 just because Microsoft have thus far ballsed up the X1. The 360 was, without a doubt, a better console for the majority of this generation. I am not a fanboy - I owned both consoles and if I do buy a console this gen it will likely be a PS4 - but anyone who doesn't admit that the 360 was easily the better console this gen has their blinkers on.
The fact that I lost three 360s while I'm still rocking an original, backwards compatible, PS3 colours my whole perspective on the generation.

And of course, in the later years, I just played more games on my PS3 because of the combination of Sony first party and Japanese games. My most played game on my PS3 is still probably Persona 4.

Megasoum

Banned
The XMB is a much more elegant design, but the way the actual features are laid out among the various categories is arbitrary and borderline nonsensical. It doesn't help that they keep moving things like trophies and Netflix from one column to another.

I barely see the 360 dashboard because all of the meaningful functionality is one or two button presses away via the guide or the top-left buttons that are highlighted by default on each page. Sure it's rotten with ads, but they don't actually impede access to the things that matter, and I'll defer to the machine with the better functionality every time.*

*except Netflix, that Xbox app is utter garbage

Maybe but at least on the XMB you don't have to wait 3-4sec everytime you do something in the front end. The 360 dashboard is so bloated and slow that even if you only want to use guide it stills takes forever to move and load.

Curufinwe

The XMB is terrible if you have lots of downloaded games. The fact that you STILL can't sort alphabetically is pretty idiotic.

I have about 20, but I'm OK with having the most recent at the top since most of the time that's what I'll be playing. I manually created PS1, PS2 and PS3 folders but you can do that automatically by pressing [ ].

On the 360 I pinned all my downloaded games, and there's no way to automatically sort them in the "My Pins" menu. But if you move each game to the front in reverse alphabetical order then you can get them to display in alphabetical order.

StuBurns

Banned
The XMB is terrible if you have lots of downloaded games. The fact that you STILL can't sort alphabetically is pretty idiotic.
There's a bunch of strange shit still on both systems that should have been corrected in the first update. Can you even manage downloads on 360 yet? On Steam too actually, you can't throttle bandwidth for downloads. Strange.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I have about 20, but I'm OK with having the most recent at the top since most of the time that's what I'll be playing. I manually created PS1, PS2 and PS3 folders but you can do that automatically by pressing [ ].

On the 360 I pinned all my downloaded games, and there's no way to automatically sort them in the "My Pins" menu. But if you move each game to the front in reverse alphabetical order then you can get them to display in alphabetical order.
I have like 200 games and demos and they're all just there under the PS3 category. It just got worse ever since I started downloading all the PS+ games.

Let's not even talk about all those horrible PSP/PSV installation bubbles because they changed how PSP games worked on PS3!

There's a bunch of strange shit still on both systems that should have been corrected in the first update. Can you even manage downloads on 360 yet? On Steam too actually, you can't throttle bandwidth for downloads. Strange.
Yeah, the sad part is that I presume none of this shit will get fixed on either console once the new ones launch.

valeo

The fact that I lost three 360s while I'm still rocking an original, backwards compatible, PS3 colours my whole perspective on the generation.

And of course, in the later years, I just played more games on my PS3 because of the combination of Sony first party and Japanese games. My most played game on my PS3 is still probably Persona 4.

Oh, no doubt that the RROD problem was a big deal - I lost one myself - but I still used my 360 far more than the PS3. PS3 did catch up towards the end, I thought, with some great exclusives and PS-Plus functionality; just thought that it was all a bit too late.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh, no doubt that the RROD problem was a big deal - I lost one myself - but I still used my 360 far more than the PS3. PS3 did catch up towards the end, I thought, with some great exclusives and PS-Plus functionality; just thought that it was all a bit too late.
I agree, if only because I got the 360 first and it's where I bought the bulk of my games. But as time went on, I started going PS3 for third party games. I feel like the first half/two-thirds of the generation were defined by 360, but the last two or three years have been much more in the PS3's favor.

StuBurns

Banned
I agree, if only because I got the 360 first and it's where I bought the bulk of my games. But as time went on, I started going PS3 for third party games. I feel like the first half/two-thirds of the generation were defined by 360, but the last two or three years have been much more in the PS3's favor.
Exclusives wise, I'd agree, but Sony still hasn't delivered the online infrastructure MS did. And multiplatform wise, there have been much more PS3 versions that have been better in the last year or two, but it's still pretty much parity.

EDIT: Obviously PS+ has been incredible though.

Jintor

eh, anything that actually has to go into a proper 'route' is like more than two hours in. for a UPF segment I doubt even dave would play that far into Katawa Shoujo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom