• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
They convinced themselves that the series only sells because they had that modern sci-fi stuff. AC4 is particularly strange because they clearly weren't ready to continue off AC3's ending but had to do something.

For whatever it's worth, I have seen people say they love the modern stuff and would stop playing the series if they didn't have it.

Maybe if Watch Dogs proves to be the successor they hope it will be they'll just stick all the semi-futuristic stuff in that.

I mean, at a certain point they have to notice that when a new AC game is announced everyone asks 'I wonder where it'll be set' rather than 'I wonder what fascinating developments in the rich fiction of the Abstergo storyline will occur'.

Maybe if Watch Dogs proves to be the successor they hope it will be they'll just stick all the semi-futuristic stuff in that.

I mean, at a certain point they have to notice that when a new AC game is announced everyone asks 'I wonder where it'll be set' rather than 'I wonder what fascinating developments in the rich fiction of the Abstergo storyline will occur'.

I think they know that. Is just that they think the Abstergo is decent enough to be some sort of backbone to justify the sequel escalation. It also gives them pretty liberty to jump back and forward between eras.

So is Assassin's Creed IV just a third-person Sid Meier's Pirates? Because if so then... I probably have to play that game.

Also the Abstergo stuff is fucking insane.

Anybode else think it's weird they are doing the morning show on Friday and Monday? I mean there is not much happening on the weekend most of the time.

Well I'm pretty sure the reason they do a Monday show is because generally there's no content out on Mondays and Friday seems to be there to catch all the news that the guys miss throughout the week since the Bombcast is recorded on Mondays

ArjanN

So is Assassin's Creed IV just a third-person Sid Meier's Pirates? Because if so then... I probably have to play that game.

ACIV seems like it would be much better if it wasn't saddled with all the dumb Assassin's Creed stuff.

Xater

It really isn't. I needed to turn the QL off, this seems so boring :/

Yeah looks like the same boring shit but now with more boats. The hunting alone gave me nightmares of AC3. There is also still the same dumb combat. At this point i doubt they will ever fix that. It's probably more important to add more random shit to the world.

Danielsan

Yeah looks like the same boring shit but now with more boats. The hunting alone gave me nightmares of AC3. There is also still the same dumb combat. At this point i doubt they will ever fix that. It's probably more important to add more random shit to the world.
It's the same boring shit Ubisoft puts in all their open world games these days. I haven't played ACIII, but that bit reminded me of Far Cry 3, It's pretty much the reason I don't bother with Assassin's Creed/most Ubisoft games. The gameplay is incredibly monotonous and turns stale within the first 3-5 hours. The stories also never make up for the gameplay.

I mean, you guys say AC would be better without the modern stuff (and I agree), but you have Jeff in the quicklook saying he doesn't really bother with Assassin's Creeds that don't have significant Desmond sections.

I'd wager he probably shares that feeling with a large part of that audience.

bjork

Nothing the AC team did or ever will do will be on the level of Sid Meier's Pirates!, you go wash out your filthy mouth with liquid dish soap.

Xater

I mean, you guys say AC would be better without the modern stuff (and I agree), but you have Jeff in the quicklook saying he doesn't really bother with Assassin's Creeds that don't have significant Desmond sections.

I'd wager he probably shares that feeling with a large part of that audience.

And that's sad, because I don't know what people see in these sections. The whole Desmond thing had a nice setup but fell flat on it's face in the end. It's clear that they had no idea where they wanted to go with it and just put it in because some suit demanded it. You can't sell a historical game! Also do people still talk about anything that happened there? I think most people actually get attached to the historical stuff.

Jamie OD

And that's sad, because I don't know what people see in these sections. The whole Desmond thing had a nice setup but fell flat on it's face in the end. It's clear that they had no idea where they wanted to go with it and just put it in because some suit demanded it. You can't sell a historical game! Also do people still talk about anything that happened there? I think most people actually get attached to the historical stuff.

Desmond's story being a major selling point would be weird since the marketing for every AC game I can remember only ever focused on the historical stuff.

The sad thing about people wanting only modern day stuff in AC is that literally no other game series is set in actual history. There's so much potential in setting games in our past instead of generic fantasy or sci fi. I really hope they don't listen to these people and continue the series in the past.

FStop7

Banned
I think the series would have been better if they didn't have the Animus BS, the modern stuff and the conspiracy stuff was more subtle.

I'd prefer they get rid of the Animus BS and just stay in the past. The present day stuff was awful.

If you want present day Assassin's Creed then go play Watch Dogs.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I was probably not going to buy ACIV til it was on sale for dirt cheap anyway, but the out-of-animus crap would cheapen the experience a bit for me. It just seems so silly.

UH OOOOOOOOH
UH OOOOOOOOH

wap wap wap wap wapwapwap

Jeff's Mixlr streams are the best source for finding the absolute worst popular music of today.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'd prefer they get rid of the Animus BS and just stay in the past. The present day stuff was awful.

If you want present day Assassin's Creed then go play Watch Dogs.

Or you can just play Assassin's Creed, since the present day stuff has always been a large part of the series.

webrunner

It almost feels like the AC team while making AC3 decided they just would rather make a pirate game so they made AC3 liberation and this one (which is more like AC3 liberation 2 then AC4)

unless there's some major twist later on it doesn't seem like this adds anything to the ac mythos at all?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
It almost feels like the AC team while making AC3 decided they just would rather make a pirate game so they made AC3 liberation and this one (which is more like AC3 liberation 2 then AC4)

unless there's some major twist later on it doesn't seem like this adds anything to the ac mythos at all?

Wasn't the "4" added pretty late to this one? When it was first announced I'm pretty sure it was just Assassin's Creed Black Flag, hinting that it would be another half-sequel like Brotherhood and that other one that I'm sure also has a name.

Wasn't the "4" added pretty late to this one? When it was first announced I'm pretty sure it was just Assassin's Creed Black Flag, hinting that it would be another half-sequel like Brotherhood and that other one that I'm sure also has a name.
When they saw the sales numbers for 3 and how they were actually good despite the game sucking they were reminded how just putting a number in your title makes things sell better.

Patryn

I don't think that was ever confirmed. It was announced as AC4: Black Flag, but early leaks had the name as just AC: Black Flag.

I know that the Bombcast definitely speculated that this was supposed to be AC3's Brotherhood, but when AC3 got widely panned this got rushed into being AC4.

And it's Assassin's Creed Revelations that you're thinking of.

Wow, listening to the bombcast and does Jeff really think the BF4 trailer is a jab at CoD?

Come on.

I don't know man
1iidkCm.png

fleck0

What a rollercoaster of emotions the AC4 quicklook was. I was ready to go all-in when the PC version came out until that last mission that wanted you to farm boats for metal. It became a "wait and see" when he jumped onto the boat and about half of the AI were standing around doing nothing or slowly shuffling around the deck ignoring the battle around them.

Megasoum

Banned
Wow, listening to the bombcast and does Jeff really think the BF4 trailer is a jab at CoD?

Come on.

You mean the part in the trailer where the Omar from the Wire punch a dog in the face? If that's not a jab at COD then that's one crazy coincidence lol.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I think Vinnys greatest Dark Souls death so far must be getting whacked by a giant and surviving with a sliver of health, but then sliding off a 4 foot drop and dying from fall damage.

Also, that dog punching bit of the trailer is definitely a jab at Call of Duty and also absolutely hilarious.

Also also. "What good is rolling if you can't roll?" Vinnys words of wisdom.

ArjanN

Pretty much this. But by dumb Assassin's Creed stuff I also meant the dozens of types of pointless collectables and total lack of challenge in the combat. It's painful the see all the effort that's clearly goes into the assets and such of these games being wasted potential because the overall vision for the game is such a clusterfuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom