• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

So those Battlefield 4 and Typing of the Dead QL's aren't happening today?

Didn't Jeff say they would record them today? I expect to see them tomorrow if they don't do them live.

Edit: People, don't take the llama love outside of this thread. The others just don't understand!

Pretty obvious it was a scripted demo anyway. When the owner yanked on the reins, it took the llama about 500ms to react.

My friend said if you look closely enough you can see it was actually running on an alpaca rather than any kind of real llama. People may say that's what they always do at public events but...I dunno man. Not sure if these things are ready to be let out to the general public.

Mahonay

Banned
Figured I'd post in here to start getting the word out on this;

I'm in some last minute talks to do an Extra-Life stream this Saturday with a very special co-host, Chris Caravella, of house Caravella. It would be part of the GB community streams going on at the same time.

It will be the two of us. We're thinking of maybe Fallout New Vegas and Sleeping Dogs at least. I'll post over in the Extra-Life thread at Giant Bomb once we've nailed details down. Meeting up Friday night to figure things out. I've been really busy and I just realized this was coming up. Hopefully we can still do this.

Ken

Figured I'd post in here to start getting the word out on this;

I'm in some last minute talks to do an Extra-Life stream this Saturday with a very special co-host, Chris Caravella, of house Caravella. It would be part of the GB community streams going on at the same time.

It will be the two of us. We're thinking of maybe Fallout New Vegas and Sleeping Dogs at least. I'll post over in the Extra-Life thread at Giant Bomb once we've nailed details down. Meeting up Friday night to figure things out. I've been really busy and I just realized this was coming up. Hopefully we can still do this.

should do some cross bf4 streams with vinny

battlefield caravella

Mahonay

Banned
That reminds me that I'm still only in the beginning of GTAV. That could be something decent for the stream, except I'm not sure how equipped we are for console capture.

Jintor

tumblr_mvg6oa7Vjw1qeuiqyo1_1280.jpg

to quote jeff, everything about this image is a nightmare

StuBurns

Banned
Why haven't they talked about the 720p VS 1080p stuff yet? Or are they just waiting till they see it for themselves?
Indeed, we've had official confirmation from both IW and DICE now. On the podcast, they pretty much wrote off any complaints as 'horrible internet'.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Indeed, we've had official confirmation from both IW and DICE now. On the podcast, they pretty much wrote off any complaints as 'horrible internet'.

Why would they want to inform their audience about what their website will be based around for the next 5+ years?

StuBurns

Banned
Why would they want to inform their audience about what their website will be based around for the next 5+ years?
They're usually pretty cautious about posting rumour and random drama, but it's a legitimate enough story that I'm surprised to see it not posted.

FStop7

Banned

GB's counter argument seemed to be a dismissive "no 1 curr LOL" and normally I'd agree, but when it comes to this I think it's important. This isn't a marginal difference, it's a 40% difference in the resolution of a launch title that doesn't even look like it should be stressing either system at all.

It doesn't feel like either next gen console has made sufficient progress in terms of horsepower considering it's going on 8 years since their predecessors were released.

The other two things I would point out are

1) the tipping point regarding PS3 and 360 falling off seemed to come when major, cross-platform releases started both looking and performing significantly worse on PS3/360 vs. PC. It was one thing when devs were trading off visual fidelity for steady framerates, but when they couldn't deliver either that seemed to signal the beginning of the end. That seemed to happen in earnest in early 2012. Now we have two brand new consoles that are closer to being PCs under the skin than ever, and yet right out of the gate there are some pretty serious compromises being made. Maybe it's just me but that doesn't bode well for the longevity of either system.

2) The GB guys rightfully dogpiled the Wii U pretty hard about its crappy performing versions of AC3, Black Ops 2, Mass Effect 3, and Arkham City at launch. Shouldn't the Xbox One be subject to that same criticism if Ghosts had to be stepped down to 720p in order to make Infinity Ward's mandatory 60fps?

BearPawB

Banned
GB's counter argument seemed to be a dismissive "no 1 curr LOL" and normally I'd agree, but when it comes to this I think it's important. This isn't a marginal difference, it's a 40% difference in resolution of a launch title that doesn't even look like it should be stressing either system at all.

It doesn't feel like either next gen console has made sufficient progress in terms of horsepower considering it's going on 8 years since their predecessors were released.

I think they acknowledge the difference. I just don't get the impression that Jeff thinks the majority of consumers will actually care

valeo

I think they acknowledge the difference. I just don't get the impression that Jeff thinks the majority of consumers will actually care

Which is true. Outside the bubble of gaming internet forums and websites - which is where the majority of money will come from for both Sony and MS - people don't know and don't care.

The "So what if its 720p and not 1080p? No one will care" argument reminds me of "So what if its DRM'd to dead. Sony will just do the same thing anyway and people will move on".

I think people will care. No one wants to buy a low res screen phone or tablet anymore.
What do you think will happen your average xbox one game is running at a lower resolution then angry birds on your phone?.

Obviously it wont matter this year. Both systems are selling out. Next year when people own systems and word of mouth starts going around things should be interesting.

MS have bigger problems right now though. They are still trying to get the DRM 180 message out to Average Joe.

StuBurns

Banned
GB's counter argument seemed to be a dismissive "no 1 curr LOL" and normally I'd agree, but when it comes to this I think it's important. This isn't a marginal difference, it's a 40% difference in the resolution of a launch title that doesn't even look like it should be stressing either system at all.

40%, is that BF4? CoD is more than a 100% more.

popo

They didn't say that nobody would care about 720 v 1080. They said the vast majority of the general public will not care - even if they know about it. I would say they are right.

Once the games actually come out I am sure they will compare versions - they usually do now with 360 vs PS3.

Also.

Captain Queernabs (lol).

2) The GB guys rightfully dogpiled the Wii U pretty hard about its crappy performing versions of AC3, Black Ops 2, Mass Effect 3, and Arkham City at launch. Shouldn't the Xbox One be subject to that same criticism if it had to be stepped down to 720p in order to make Infinity Ward's mandatory 60fps?

To be fair, they shat on the wiiU when it was out in the wild. I think they'll give the Xbox one the benefit of the doubt until they have a day one console in house. I imagine they'll give it a bit of shit at that time, if it deserves it.

StuBurns

Banned
To be fair, they shat on the wiiU when it was out in the wild. I think they'll give the Xbox one the benefit of the doubt until they have a day one console in house. I imagine they'll give it a bit of shit at that time, if it deserves it.
That's because we didn't know those Wii U issues existed before the system launched. We know this now, with weeks to spare.

That's because we didn't know those Wii U issues existed before the system launched. We know this now, with weeks to spare.

Sure, but why report/comment on buggy prerelease stuff when there's a good probability that some of it will get ironed out? It seems like a waste of their time. Wait till it comes out and then give it the shit it deserves then. Otherwise, why complain about shit like snapping in and out being weird or buggy when the machine isn't even out yet?

Dragon

Banned

Well Jeff sure does, considering he mentions getting a new monitor that supports 2560x1200 or whatever.

I'm sure they'll mention these media issues the PS4 has though.

StuBurns

Banned
Sure, but why report/comment on buggy prerelease stuff when there's a good probability that some of it will get ironed out? It seems like a waste of their time. Wait till it comes out and then give it the shit it deserves then. Otherwise, why complain about shit like snapping in and out being weird or buggy when the machine isn't even out yet?
Despite what some people are suggesting, the resolution of these games isn't going to change before launch, or IW and Dice would never have confirmed them. If people don't care, that's certainly cool, but they should probably tell people so they can decide for themselves. Isn't that essentially the whole point of gaming websites? To provide readers with information to inform their buying decisions?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Wait till it comes out and then give it the shit it deserves then. Otherwise, why complain about shit like snapping in and out being weird or buggy when the machine isn't even out yet?
It's too late at that point for potential purchasers.

Well Jeff sure does, considering he mentions getting a new monitor that supports 2560x1200 or whatever.

Yeah, they're getting those moneyhats from Micro$oft, man.

Here's the truth. Most people don't care about 720p/1080p. I'm sure in a stream soon or on the next Bombcast there will be a story about the differences and they'll say whatever to them. Because most people can't tell the difference. There is a large difference between retina and non-retina to the average person. There isn't one between 720p and 1080p.

The reality is, 75% of the difference in sales between the XBO and PS4 will be the price difference. The other 25% will be what has been argued about via millions of words on this site.

RaikuHebi

Banned
The official confirmation of BF4 and CoD4 running at higher resolutions on the PS4 happened after they recorded the latest Bombcast.
COD I understand but I could've sworn the BF4 stuff was confirmed?

Also lol @ CoD4.

In the timeframe of the 720p/1080p news they've posted 2 articles about PS4; the 1.50 update and FAQ both with negative slants, and a gushing post about Dead Rising 3. I suppose they're still heavily MS leaning.

FStop7

Banned

I'm pretty sure they mentioned them on the podcast, but I can't remember if it was for the PS4 or Xbox One.

Curufinwe

Here's the truth. Most people don't care about 720p/1080p. I'm sure in a stream soon or on the next Bombcast there will be a story about the differences and they'll say whatever to them. Because most people can't tell the difference. There is a large difference between retina and non-retina to the average person. There isn't one between 720p and 1080p.

Most console-only gamers haven't played more than a game or two in native 1080p. How do you know the masses won't notice a difference once they start seeing superior PS4 versions on display at Best Buy, Gamestop, etc.

All the GB guys have done for the past few years is talk about how much better PC games are because of higher resolutions, higher frame rates, and more effects. It stands to reason that when PS4 games enjoy those advantages over their Xbone counterparts they will not say whatever, because that would be obviously hypocritical.

StuBurns

Banned
Most console-only gamers haven't played more than a game or two in native 1080p. How do you know the masses won't notice a difference once they start seeing superior PS4 versions on display at Best Buy, Gamestop, etc.
Moreover, the GiantBomb guys themselves have talked about it's importance. They talked about how they're 'hooking up their PCs to their TVs to get that 1080p'. They think it's important enough for them, but not their readers?

Dragon

Banned
Yeah, they're getting those moneyhats from Micro$oft, man.

The reality is, 75% of the difference in sales between the XBO and PS4 will be the price difference. The other 25% will be what has been argued about via millions of words on this site.

Don't put words in my mouth thanks.

I'm pointing out inconsistencies that's all.

Moreover, the GiantBomb guys themselves have talked about it's importance. They talked about how they're 'hooking up their PCs to their TVs to get that 1080p'. They think it's important enough for them, but not their readers?

Or, they realize their readers have already read all the stories they need too about a drama that may or may not matter. Also, they all talk about things they probably know aren't important to their readers, like obscure arcade cabinets and DOTA 2.

I mean, I get it. Proving that the games media is all secretly in the tank for Microsoft is really important, but maybe, just maybe, the 720/1080p isn't as big a story as you guys think to the average consumer?

Also, the "masses" couldn't tell that widescreen was better for them than fullscreen for years. I somehow doubt they'll get the difference between 720 and 1080, especially when neither of the big companies will be heralding it and a 1/3 of the people on this forum couldn't tell the difference in released video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom