• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I don't understand is why the "average" gamer keeps getting brought up. No one is saying that all this stuff will have an immediate sales impact or wreck Microsoft (right away at least) so gives a fuck about Joe Gamer. It's as helpful as saying "No one cares" on a message board of game enthusiasts who do clearly care. Also why it's being discussed in a thread about a website that also mostly appeals to enthusiasts more than "casuals" anyhow (No one I know would watch an hour long stream of windjammers).

Seems weird that corners of the games press are trying to downplay it. Especially tech assholes like Brad who always seemed to love quoted Digital Foundry about the minor differences between versions though out this gen.

If the difference was 900-1080 I could buy the "ehhh.... its only a few pixels" argument. But it isnt.

The difference between 1080 and 720 is pretty simple for average people to see and understand, Its been hammered into them by TV makers, youtube, phone makers, netflix etc..... the last 5+ years.

And the gap is already bigger then any multiplat game on ps3/360. (unless there is some ps3 game running in 400p I am forgetting). I can see why glossing over it just seems fishy to a lot of people. Doubly so when you also seem to think not being able to DLNA files is something worth talking about.

Kerned

Banned
Even the nuts on here are not quite as bad as this guy on Patrick's tumblr

I don't understand why Patrick bothers to reply to some of the more aggressively awful questions. It seems like the best course of action is to just ignore people like that.

Shosai

Banned
I don't think it's a bigger story than confirmation of the substantial hardware power gap between two new consoles due for release in less then a month. They are both stories worth covering, especially since the hardware power issue has been rumbling along all year and there was finally some direct evidence directly from developers.

In any event, the idea that Giant Bomb don't or won't run a news story because everyone else is doing it to is patently false.

You left out one of my qualifiers- "minor" news.

Which story you find to be more important is your opinion, and you're free to feel that. But keep in mind that a lot of people don't have stable broadband connections and are buying a PS4 over an Xbox for that very reason. Naturally, they'd want to know what expected features (if any) will not be available on their out-of-the-box PS4.

It's new information compared to say, a confirmation of resolution differences that were already largely suspected and discussed on the giant bomcast and morning shows.

Seems weird that corners of the games press are trying to downplay it. Especially tech assholes like Brad who always seemed to love quoted Digital Foundry about the minor differences between versions though out this gen.

If the difference was 900-1080 I could buy the "ehhh.... its only a few pixels" argument. But it isnt.

The difference between 1080 and 720 is pretty simple for average people to see and understand, Its been hammered into them by TV makers, youtube, phone makers, netflix etc..... the last 5+ years.

And the gap is already bigger then any multiplat game on ps3/360. (unless there is some ps3 game running in 400p I am forgetting). I can see why glossing over it just seems fishy to a lot of people. Doubly so when you also seem to think not being able to DLNA files is something worth talking about.

It's not even just resolution. BF4 has a more stable framerate, anti-aliasing, ambient occlusion, and some other effects that the X1 version doesn't. All of that while STILL outputting at over twice the resolution. THAT is the problem. The 360 built it's reputation as the multiplatform console of choice early on and held on to that the entire generation outside of a few dozen titles like Saint's Row 3, GTA5, etc. That was with a much smaller difference in hardware than this time around. The idea that developers will sprinkle fairy dust and suddenly get games identical is delusion.

Unfortunately people seem to view any criticism on this matter as jumping straight into hyperbolic "M$ MONEYHATTING". GB covers what they want, when they want. It's useful for them as a smaller site as a way to differentiate themselves from every other press release regurgitating outfit. However, when you all but ignore the biggest topic amongst the enthusiast crowd by saying "lol mainstream won't care" and then put out a simple laundry list FAQ for the PS4 and criticize DLNA features, you can't dismiss any eyebrow raising as pathetic internet sniping.

The HDCP during gameplay horseshit has been addressed right? They're going to be able stream content from these boxes for the launch day streams, right? It's the one thing I'm still personally really looking forward to when it comes to launch of next gen.

Dragon

Banned
The HDCP during gameplay horseshit has been addressed right? They're going to be able stream content from these boxes for the launch day streams, right? It's the one thing I'm still personally really looking forward to when it comes to launch of next gen.

PS4 patch for that is coming down the road. They'll need something to bypass HDCP.

Even if the consoles do have HDCP on them, getting a device that allows you to bypass that protection isn't too hard.

derFeef

abe-simpson-gif.gif

Mesoian

I know they can strip it. My concern is whether or not an HDCP stripper is something they'll be prohibited to use by CBSi.

Even if it is, I think it'll be more one of those deals where you don't really disclose how you're ripping your video. CBSi would probably frown on Jeff's modded Vita that has video out, but...hey, you have a site to run, get your stuff however you can.

And as far as I know, the HDCP stuff still hasn't been addressed by either side outside of "yeah, we'll do something about it. Eventually. But STREAMING!!!"

No WWE 2K14 quick look according Jeff Gertsmann on Twitter.

Well, because the game seems to be broken, let's preface.

Rapstah

Based on how many minor and semi-major issues there are with WWE 2k14 it's looking like there'll be a patch, and because it seems to be a pretty major patch I don't think they'll be solving Jeff's problem for a while. Whenever the first DLC releases, probably?

Jamie OD

Based on how many minor and semi-major issues there are with WWE 2k14 it's looking like there'll be a patch, and because it seems to be a pretty major patch I don't think they'll be solving Jeff's problem for a while. Whenever the first DLC releases, probably?

There was supposed to be a major patch last year too. It either never came or fixed nothing.

I would hope that using one to capture specifically gameplay wouldn't be an issue, but I have no idea what the legalities of a HDCP stripper are in general.

Capturing gameplay is protected by fair use, but subverting copy protection is a violation of the DMCA. Funny how the big content companies (CBS very much included) stumbled on to that loophole. Must be a crazy coincidence.

So we are in a situation where pointing a camera at a tv playing a PS4 is perfectly legal but capturing a feed from it's HDCP protected HDMI is emphatically illegal.

The smaller guys will be able to do this without repercussion, but I could see CBS saying no. After all, it wouldn't be the first time that CBS has allowed its corporate intellectual property policies to dictate coverage by one of its websites.

Mesoian

Capturing gameplay is protected by fair use, but subverting copy protection is a violation of the DMCA. Funny how the big content companies (CBS very much included) stumbled on to that loophole. Must be a crazy coincidence.

So we are in a situation where pointing a camera at a tv playing a PS4 is perfectly legal but capturing a feed from it's HDCP protected HDMI is emphatically illegal.

The smaller guys will be able to do this without repercussion, but I could see CBS saying no. After all, it wouldn't be the first time that CBS has allowed its corporate intellectual property policies to dictate coverage by one of its websites.

That being said, I think this is a particularly special case and CBSi would gain nothing from being the owner of major "journalistic" websites that are unable to do their jobs because of legal rhetoric that is similar to tearing the tags off your mattress.

Also DMCA is the dumbest shit ever.

PBY

Banned
Man I hate console launches. I wish we could fast forward one year. I just wanna play games.

I seriously think universities should be culling data from these forums, itd be a fascinating culanth study about tribalism in the corporate age.

That being said, I think this is a particularly special case and CBSi would gain nothing from being the owner of major "journalistic" websites that are unable to do their jobs because of legal rhetoric that is similar to tearing the tags off your mattress.

Also DMCA is the dumbest shit ever.

I would have thought that before the whole Hopper thing.

The DMCA is really really stupid, it's also something that CBS fought for.

Xater

Man with the flame sword and pendant you can just wail on this boss. The pendant power does a lot damage. Brad was way too conservative there.

KingKong

If Jeff doesn't care about BF4 why not get Vinny to drive it or have Drew play it? Dont see the point of a 75 minute quick look with 50 minutes being the singleplayer

Chuck

Still without luck
Brad posts on GAF really consist of 3 main things;

1: anger
2: light insults
3: threatening to ignore

I wish he would comment on the love he gets in here sometimes too. v_v

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom