• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LackingSaint

Neo Member
"Wby are they using as a reference point this thing I don't especially care for instead of this thing I do especially care for!"

Oh, whatever dude. I don't especially care for The Witcher but if someone made a fantasy third-person action-RPG I would say "Hey it's like The Witcher", not "Hey it's like Skyrim but third-person". I don't even care that much, but you don't need to completely misinterpret my argument.

popo

I feel like videos are being uploaded with errors pretty frequently lately.

Mainly Friday or late in the day streams with same day archives. I imagine they leave them to encode and publish without the time to check them. The alternative would be holding archives until the next day (or after the weekend) like with quick looks.

yeah I don't know what they were thinking with the bosses running away.

a big ass robot running into an even bigger tunnel that you can't use just seems really stupid.

A simple animation of a giant ass metal door slamming behind him would have silenced a lot of problems.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I live in Ireland and I've never heard anyone refer to Resident Evil as Resi, but it is easy to imagine an English person saying it.

Will M

As a german, I gotta agree there with Jeff. People who abbreviate Resident Evil as Resi are the worst.

Rorie saying "eff, eff, ecks" for Final Fantasy X and "a-see three" for Assassin's Creed 3 makes me want to punch his puppies. I'm ok with writing FFX or AC3 but when it comes to pronunciation, it sounds incredibly dumb.

UPF: Chicago isn't up yet, is it? I couldn't find it this morning, and missed it yesterday. I need my Giant Bomb Central fix.

Rorie saying "eff, eff, ecks" for Final Fantasy X and "a-see three" for Assassin's Creed 3 makes me want to punch his puppies. I'm ok with writing FFX or AC3 but when it comes to pronunciation, it sounds incredibly dumb.
You're a monster.

But seriously, the fuck is wrong with saying an abbreviation? I'm sure as fuck not saying "Assassin's Creed Three" everytime I need to refer to that game, because that miserable shit pile cost me enough time from my life already. (Although I'd say eff eff ten.)

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

Wait, how do you pronounce it?

NIN90

"eff, eff, ecks" is objectively wrong. It's "eff, eff, ten". You don't say "eff, eff, wii aye aye" either, do you?

Will M

UPF: Chicago isn't up yet, is it? I couldn't find it this morning, and missed it yesterday. I need my Giant Bomb Central fix.

You're a monster.

But seriously, the fuck is wrong with saying an abbreviation? I'm sure as fuck not saying "Assassin's Creed Three" everytime I need to refer to that game, because that miserable shit pile cost me enough time from my life already. (Although I'd say eff eff ten.)

If you're already on the subject of Assassin's Creed, then just name them by the numbers or subtitles. "Two" for the second
and best
in the series. Or "Revalations", "Black Flag", or even "original."

you're right though, let's not talk about that piece of shit (or pee oh ess) game ever again.

Zaph

If you're having problems with the archive, use the link I sent around to members last week. It always has the most recent livestream saved to it.

Haunted

Wii aye aye? The fuck?
I guess he meant /viː/ /aɪ/ /aɪ/ (VII). The X in FFX stands for ten, so pronouncing it as the letter x is pretty stupid. :lol

And yes, Resi is the nickname/shorthand for Resident Evil in German. (I hate it.)

He probably meant /dʌbl̩juː/ /aɪ/ /aɪ/, i.e. pronouncing Wii as an abbreviation and not an acronym.

The X in FFX stands for ten, so pronouncing it as the letter x is pretty stupid. :lol

And yes, Resi is the nickname/shorthand for Resident Evil in German. (I hate it.)

It may be stupid but it's a pretty accepted way to say it. Everyone knows what Rorie or anyone saying that means, being pedantic about it is even sillier.

NIN90

It may be stupid but it's a pretty accepted way to say it. Everyone knows what Rorie or anyone saying that means, being pedantic about it is even sillier.

Everyone knowing what it means doesn't make it any less stupid. I guess we should fully embrace grammatical errors then too, right?

Many thanks.

Hey it's a free country, he can call it whatever he wants.

As long as we agree that it's stupid. :p

As long as we agree that we don't need to moan about every stupid thing that's said on GB :p

Everyone knowing what it means doesn't make it any less stupid. I guess we should fully embrace grammatical errors then too, right?

Language is ever evolving. It wouldn't be a stretch to see "ecks" be the norm in this context in the future. It's why I don't tend to get too bothered by this sort of thing, I feel like people forget how often and quickly language changes.

Anyone having issues with the site just now? I went to the billing page to change my sub to yearly and it just won't load. Then I went to the forums and when I do a search it throws up a 500 errror.

NIN90

To fix the desync on this UPF:
download the file and open it in VLC. Hit the K button on your keyboard a couple times until it says 450ms delay and baby you got yourself a stew going.

Mully

Anyone going to be trying to go to the NYU thing Jeff's doing next week? Tickets are sold out, but Jeff noted that normally people could get in from the standby line,

Xater

To fix the desync on this UPF:
download the file and open it in VLC. Hit the K button on your keyboard a couple times until it says 450ms delay and baby you got yourself a stew going.

On the Mac version of VLC it's G. Just mentioning it because I had to figure it out this morning :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom