• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody remember what was the Gamespot video by Danny O'Dwyer where talks about a ton of stuff and mention Ryan not too long after his death?

I think it was when they redesigned the site but I'm not sure...Can't remember.

Spaghetti

So what are your guys opinion on GB Chicago Yay or Nay ? I am happy with it as long as lang is in every Chicago show.
yeah, lang needs to stay on to... counteract the non-presence of patrick. he's just not really good at these multi-person live things and sort of fades into the background.

Tucah

you speak so well
So what are your guys opinion on GB Chicago Yay or Nay ? I am happy with it as long as lang is in every Chicago show.

I thought Lang was in top form and was pretty much 100% of the reason I enjoyed any of it. Patrick was fine to play off of Lang now and again but an hour of Max was a little much for me sometimes. The fourth guy was a total non-entity. As long as Lang is there to yell at people and tell interesting stories, I'll tune in.

I feel like they probably need to solve the problem they're having where no one can check the file before it gets uploaded. Their last four or so subscriber videos have uploaded with errors - audio out of sync, ends of the videos cut off, etc. Maybe they need someone who can stick around after everyone else gets home to make sure the video rendered out correctly. Vinnyvania II had issues because Drew and Vinny both went to go record the Bombcast. UPF seemingly has problems because everyone wants to leave when it's done.

It's not ideal, but IMO it's a fair trade-off. On Friday, the day everyone usually wants to leave ASAP, they stay a little later to do a members show. Expecting them to stay even later to make sure the archive goes through the compressor without hitch is a bit shitty IMO. Especially with such a tiny video production team.

I don't know that it's shitty when you're selling it as a product, though. I wasn't saying "Perform, monkeys, then shackle yourselves back up!" It seems kind of unfair to paint it as that.

GB is a site that that runs on subscription videos and priority one should usually be that those videos work, no?

Zaph

I don't know that it's shitty when you're selling it as a product, though. I wasn't saying "Perform, monkeys, then shackle yourselves back up!" It seems kind of unfair to paint it as that.

GB is a site that that runs on subscription videos and priority one should usually be that those videos work, no?
It's a 3 hour live show recorded on a Friday afternoon/early evening. Having it available for the weekend is obviously ideal, but the following Monday isn't unreasonable either IMO.

This isn't a pre-recorded video prepped and ready to go, it's a livestream, and aside from the massive dedicated streaming sites (Twitch etc), having such a long stream available to download on the site immediately afterwards is not exactly commonplace on the internet.

On top of that, Vinny and Drew could make their lives a lot easier by just throwing up shitty MP4 re-encodes. But instead they stick to a formal production pipeline sourcing from the local lossless recording to give users the best quality possible. Checking for issues means someone has to wait in the office a few extra hours for it to upload and encode, then download and fix manually if there are any issues. On a Friday night. Or go back into the office on a weekend.

After sitting through 3.5 hours of Elder Scrolls Online, I think I can definitively say I still have absolutely no interest in the Elder Scrolls universe or MMOs.

Mr. F

Banned
After sitting through 3.5 hours of Elder Scrolls Online, I think I can definitively say I still have absolutely no interest in the Elder Scrolls universe or MMOs.

I'm typically down for anything Elder Scrolls but that was a pain to sit through. I'd probably play all the same if I had friends along with me, otherwise it looks at least five years late.

To your point on the universe, I find Morrowind is really good and atmospheric. Oblivion and Skyrim had similar moments but much fewer and farther between. I don't know what it is about those games but they never really achieved the same sense of place, at least to the same effect.

popo

They never promised you a rose garden ... err ... I mean same day archives.

Also

David Porges ‏@Shocking4U 1h
@frailgesture @jeffgerstmann @VinnyCaravella The latest UPF is out of sync and seems to be taken down from the site. Anything new?

Vincent Caravella ‏@VinnyCaravella 54m
@Shocking4U @frailgesture @jeffgerstmann been working on it from home. Try #4 is currently encoding...

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Also

Vincent Caravella ‏@VinnyCaravella 54m
@Shocking4U @frailgesture @jeffgerstmann been working on it from home. Try #4 is currently encoding...

Man, that fuckin sucks. Dude already has so little time and now is spending his weekend on it too.

sent

It's not ideal, but IMO it's a fair trade-off. On Friday, the day everyone usually wants to leave ASAP, they stay a little later to do a members show. Expecting them to stay even later to make sure the archive goes through the compressor without hitch is a bit shitty IMO. Especially with such a tiny video production team.

What? You're selling premium content, you should make sure it goes off without a hitch. What am I reading?

Just because you are okay with it doesn't mean others should be.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
What? You're selling premium content, you should make sure it goes off without a hitch. What am I reading?

Just because you are okay with it doesn't mean others should be.

They work 9-5. (I guess 9 to 6 maybe?)

The reason the content isn't up is because of a bug.

You're still getting the premium content, but after they have time to work on it during work hours.

They're not required to work on it off hours, especially because there was no given time of when it would be up. Even if there was a time they said it would be up, it isn't up because of a glitch that they should be working on during work hours, not their free time.

If you bought a product from Walmart and found out it was faulty that night, would you be pissed at them because the store was closed when you wanted to return it?

They work 9-5. (I guess 9 to 6 maybe?)

The reason the content isn't up is because of a bug.

You're still getting the premium content, but after they have time to work on it during work hours.

They're not required to work on it off hours, especially because there was no given time of when it would be up. Even if there was a time they said it would be up, it isn't up because of a glitch that they should be working on during work hours, not their free time.

If you bought a product from Walmart and found out it was faulty that night, would you be pissed at them because the store was closed when you wanted to return it?

This is false equivalence personified. You can't just tell people to deal with it when they are spending their own money on something. Anyone here who pays for premium has a right to be disappointed. It doesn't matter what their work schedule is, nor should it. I fully understand their situation, but it is not my responsibility to cut them any slack if they don't come through with premium content. You have to see both sides here instead of just being a blind sycophant and defending the site whenever someone takes issue with something.

My point was that anyone who is disappointed is totally justified and its insane that anyone would try to say they can't be.

Dragon

Banned
Gotta say Max is insufferable in that vid. I don't know if it's a shtick or not but the whole making fun of the chatters thing was just plain dumb. I was a big supporter of his company and everything but mannnnn he comes off as a giant douche.

Zaph

This is false equivalence personified. You can't just tell people to deal with it when they are spending their own money on something. Anyone here who pays for premium has a right to be disappointed. It doesn't matter what their work schedule is, nor should it. I fully understand their situation, but it is not my responsibility to cut them any slack if they don't come through with premium content. You have to see both sides here instead of just being a blind sycophant and defending the site whenever someone takes issue with something.

My point was that anyone who is disappointed is totally justified and its insane that anyone would try to say they can't be.
Nobodies saying you can't be disappointed, but to just get a little perspective. It's a very long show recorded on a Friday afternoon, sometimes shit happens and you can't expect someone to hang around for several hours on a Friday evening just to make sure it doesn't (which was the context of my original post). No need to go nuclear dude.

valeo

Gotta say Max is insufferable in that vid. I don't know if it's a shtick or not but the whole making fun of the chatters thing was just plain dumb. I was a big supporter of his company and everything but mannnnn he comes off as a giant douche.

Don't be so sensitive.

I agree with Cambria; even though I don't care that it's glitched. If you pay for something and don't get the service promised back, then there is a problem there - the consumer shouldn't have to worry about their work hours.

DkrWO9M.png

For Powerbombcast listeners/Wrestlemania 30 viewers,
the whole beat Taker = become Taker thing was funny, but not like this. Not like this : (

QP3

What news stories were they referring to about the google glass? Something about people being..."unpleasant"?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So I've never watched Wrestling in my life... Could somebody explain to me why everybody was freaking out on twitter?
Basically the biggest shock of the night. No one expected it to happen.

It's why I hope Jeff talks about it on Bombcast, because it'd be funny to listen to.

So I've never watched Wrestling in my life... Could somebody explain to me why everybody was freaking out on twitter?

I assume that's because
the streak has been broken.
?

there is a wrestler
that has never lost a match at Wrestlemania for many years, to the point where many other wrestlers would try to break it and fail everytime.

giving the result it finally happened and was done by a wrestler who appears once in a while and is rumored to not really giving a fuck about the sport (left for the UFC at one point, etc)

Wrestlemania 30 spoilers

The Undertaker, a long tenured and highly respected wrestler who had an undefeated streak of 21-0 at the annual Wrestlemania, the WWE's biggest PPV event of the year, just lost to Brock Lesner, a former UFC champ and current part-timer in the WWE. The streak has been broken, 21-1.

People are shocked because this was thought of as a "throwaway" match that didn't matter and that the company certainly wouldn't "waste" giving the streak to someone who didn't need it to become a star.

Honestly for me, it's not even that it was broken. It's that the match they had was very mediocre and wasn't worthy of being the one to end the streak.

Edit: Might as well put spoiler tags since I know some people are juggling watching this and Game of Thrones tonight.

Megasoum

Banned
Wrestlemania 30 spoilers

The Undertaker, a long tenured and highly respected wrestler who had an undefeated streak of 21-0 at the annual Wrestlemania, the WWE's biggest PPV event of the year, just lost to Brock Lesner, a former UFC champ and current part-timer in the WWE. The streak has been broken, 21-1.

People are shocked because this was thought of as a "throwaway" match that didn't matter and that the company certainly wouldn't "waste" giving the streak to someone who didn't need it to become a star.

Honestly for me, it's not even that it was broken. It's that the match they had was very mediocre and wasn't worthy of being the one to end the streak.

Edit: Might as well put spoiler tags since I know some people are juggling watching this and Game of Thrones tonight.

Cool, thanks for the crash course.

The Max guy was fine, stream monsters gonna stream, he was calling like he sees it.

Don't be so sensitive.

I agree with Cambria; even though I don't care that it's glitched. If you pay for something and don't get the service promised back, then there is a problem there - the consumer shouldn't have to worry about their work hours.

vvvv

Also

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom