• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Bombin' with Rami was fantastic. Such an interesting man and it is good to hear about game development from a cultural perspective than what I'm used to.

Isn't plasma terrible for gaming due to the ease of which it gets burn-in? I thought I heard brad complaining about burn-in with his tv recently.

It can definitely be an issue by playing games with static menus for long periods of time.

Something like ffxiv:arr would be a plasma killer with the hotbars

faridmon

Isn't plasma terrible for gaming due to the ease of which it gets burn-in? I thought I heard brad complaining about burn-in with his tv recently.

Why is it still popular amongst gamers and Gaffers then?

I honestly don't get TVs these days. Back in my days, we used to plug the wires and just play the games,...

Aaron

You have to break in a new plasma. Brad didn't do it, and paid the price. If he had just kept the tv on low brightness and contrast for the first month or so he would have been fine. You don't have to do anything special these days.

mattp

burn-in really hasnt been an issue for years
you might get some slight image retention(if you play the same game for hours straight) which will go away in like 15 minutes

I have 60" Samsung Plasma and I've never had image retention compared to my 3 year old 50" LG Plasma that retains images that have been on screen for a whole 2 seconds.

BigAT

Modern plasmas don't really suffer from permanent burn-in anymore. I've had a plasma for nearly six years that I use for gaming and the worst I have ever experienced is some temporary "ghosting" on the screen after I turn the TV off. I have never experienced any image hanging around when it's actually on.

Megasoum

Banned
Why is it still popular amongst gamers and Gaffers then?

I honestly don't get TVs these days. Back in my days, we used to plug the wires and just play the games,...

Back in my days, it was so much easier!

1000x1000.jpg

It can definitely be an issue by playing games with static menus for long periods of time.

Something like ffxiv:arr would be a plasma killer with the hotbars

Plasma burn-in hasnt been an issue for a long time, they are more likely to suffer from temporary image retention but burn in is a non-issue. Brad is just Brad, nothing you can do about him and if its something bad, the worse version of that bad thing will always happen to him.

Ive had a Samsung plasma for 3-4 years now, im a heavy gamer and my TV has never had an issue. My Borther has a plasma(i believe panasonic) is a heavy gamer and never had an issue. The rest of the guys on the couch all have the same tv as brad and never had an issue. Its just Brad and its an old issue with plasmas that the general population still believes is an issue.

LCD TV's can suffer from burn in, can suffer image retention and also suffer from image fade(usually 5-10 years).

Plasma's tend to be used as they have very small response time which LCD's are still struggling with

Seems like plasma is going the way of the dodo with more and more companies dropping it, wonder when we'll see LCDs with the same blacks and color of good plasmas

Seems like plasma is going the way of the dodo with more and more companies dropping it, wonder when we'll see LCDs with the same blacks and color of good plasmas

they're starting to push OLEDs a bit but then there's 4k, which is probably going to be LCD only for a while to keep costs down. So who knows.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

They're dropping plasmas because everybody wants super cheap, big TVs. LCDs can provide that, damn picture quality.

Modern plasmas don't really suffer from permanent burn-in anymore. I've had a plasma for nearly six years that I use for gaming and the worst I have ever experienced is some temporary "ghosting" on the screen after I turn the TV off. I have never experienced any image hanging around when it's actually on.

I mistakenly left Sonic All Star Racing paused over night on my 65" Panasonic VT60 and was sure I was fucked.

Ran the built-in screen wipe for 3hrs and it was all gone.

they're starting to push OLEDs a bit but then there's 4k, which is probably going to be LCD only for a while to keep costs down. So who knows.

Yeah can't wait til OLEDs become more prominent and affordable

They're dropping plasmas because everybody wants super cheap, big TVs. LCDs can provide that, damn picture quality.
O I understand, LCDs definitely get you the most bang for your buck, hell I just bought 2 40" LCDs yesterday for $400 each on amazon. Picture quality has improved a ton since they first came out, though I still think the best blacks come from plasmas and oleds

sub_o

Jeff hosting a podcast in which people air their beefs and then settle them via Windjammers.

If only that Leland Yee wasn't caught, then he could supply them with rocket launchers. 20% off if you put in GIANTBOMB03 as the discount code.

Ultra Street Fighter promo idea;
I want Jeff to be trained by Combofiend and Brad trained by Haunts and they have a first to 5. Lang would commentate. LETS GO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom