• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

Turn on Stream, watch Sccops not use arcane explosion plus hero power to 3-for-1 his opponent, instead using the best card in his hand to a very marginal impact.

Turn stream off

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Turn on Stream, watch Sccops not use arcane explosion plus hero power to 3-for-1 his opponent, instead using the best card in his hand to a very marginal impact.

Turn stream off

He then played his whole hand before running right into an explosive trap that wiped his board. lol.

Turn stream off

He never played a card game before, and has 3 hour experience.

Most of these type of streams from him (Spelunky, Binding) are him learning the game as he goes - which I find interesting.

PS: I have no idea what you even posted - so I guess that it the best way to experience these type of streams

bigkrev

He never played a card game before, and has 3 hour experience.

Most of these type of streams from him (Spelunky, Binding) are him learning the game as he goes - which I find interesting.

PS: I have no idea what you even posted - so I guess that it the best way to experience these type of streams

To break down what he did- he had about a dozen options on his turn. There is one that would have best maximized his resources- he could trade one weak card in his hand to kill every one of his opponents monsters. Instead, he made one of the worst plays possible with the information that he had- using his most powerful card in a context where it does almost nothing, while leaving all of his opponents creatures alive and not improving his position in the game.

You aren't going to get better at a game unless you learn from your mistakes- I don't think he even realized he made one

FStop7

Banned

Turn stream off

Dude. He's totally new to these games. Give him a fucking break.

This is why I don't stream Hearthstone, even though I thought it would be fun to share my progression from utter CCG noob to (hopefully) competent player. I don't want to hear stuff like this.

Turn stream off

And this is why self-betterment is so disincintivized now: people like this will still bitch about your play till you manage to become world-class. :\

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

Turn stream off

KZr2pfM.gif

solarus

To break down what he did- he had about a dozen options on his turn. There is one that would have best maximized his resources- he could trade one weak card in his hand to kill every one of his opponents monsters. Instead, he made one of the worst plays possible with the information that he had- using his most powerful card in a context where it does almost nothing, while leaving all of his opponents creatures alive and not improving his position in the game.

You aren't going to get better at a game unless you learn from your mistakes- I don't think he even realized he made one

No1curr tbh.
He'll get better.

Haunted

That was the worst Hearthstone play I've ever seen.
Apparently you've never seen PyrionFlax or Totalbiscuit play. :p

There's a place for personality streams, it doesn't always have to be the good level of play that attracts people. Trump, Kripp and Kungen can coexist streaming with Patrick, Pyrion and others. Some are better than others but that doesn't make them automatically more entertaining.

That said, looking at the most popular Hearthstone streams by viewership, it's usually legend players only (so I guess a stream watching audience that came over from other Hearthstone streams would mostly be accustomed to that level of play). Conversely, a stream watching audience that came over from a Destructoid or Yogscast stream probably wouldn't stand Trump's sparse commentary and calm, emotionless play for more than 10 minutes.

Haunted

Actually looking at Patrick's stream... disregarding his (lacking) card collection and just considering the gameplay decisions, I think there's broadly three stages to basic in-game decision making when you're just starting out.

1) At first, you're just considering what you can see. The board and your own hand. You don't know what cards exist in the game except those you can see.
2) Then, you start considering what's in the rest of your own deck, which makes planning ahead (and holding back) possible. You know what cards you have in your deck.
3) Then, you start considering what might be in the opponent's hand and deck and what he might play next turn. You know the cards of other classes as well.

And of course a lot more intricate things after this (like having an actual game plan, control vs aggro, deck knowledge, knowledge of the current meta, class matchups, counting cards, mind games and all that good stuff).

Patrick is, quite clearly, still at stage 1. Nothing shameful about that, it's where every Hearthstone player without any prior card game experience starts out.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
What a weird article.

An article titled "As Nintendo Evolved, So Did Animal Crossing" when Animal Crossing has been as stagnant as any franchise out there. And the article does nothing to justify the title.

styl3s

do people still play that game
Hearthstone? Hearthstone is only going to be bigger and bigger.

Until MTG can create a competent online game with reasonable prices and all the modes we all want this is mine as well as a ton of others go to online CCG. It's simplistic yet strategic and it doesn't break the bank.

pushBAK

Confirmed in podcast, Watch Dogs video tomorrow (Wednesday). Which also means hella watch dogs content on every other outlet. Get ready....

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
They call every early access / preview quick look Unfinished, it's not a jab at all imo

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
What a weird article.

An article titled "As Nintendo Evolved, So Did Animal Crossing" when Animal Crossing has been as stagnant as any franchise out there. And the article does nothing to justify the title.

You're right that the article doesn't really justify the title, but New Leaf is totally not stagnant. There were a lot of really smart decisions made and it's a really well evolved game that doesn't ruin the joy of the original but still adds a ton of interesting variety and new things to do.

LeBart

I'm not sure if this is a jab at Watch Dogs or there just going to do a preview of a early/review build.

"Unfinished is a spot for us to look at everything else, like Early Access games from Steam. [...] And, potentially, video footage that would have fallen under the "Man, I Saw That!" or "What It Is" banners in the past."
It's probably gonna be them talking over B-roll footage.

daydream

Banned
"Unfinished is a spot for us to look at everything else, like Early Access games from Steam. [...] And, potentially, video footage that would have fallen under the "Man, I Saw That!" or "What It Is" banners in the past."

Yeah, definitely. That's also exactly what they did for Trials Fusion.

Aaron

B-roll would be a good rap name for Brad since he's usually the one who talks during these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom