• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am all for Patrick's new video making venture.

When we live in a world where asking people to even read 1000 words seems like a big ask (where some would rather 'skip to the end' to just digest a conclusion paragraph, and mistakenly take it as you full opinion on a subject), condensing those same words into a video - which itself was well paced and entertaining in it's own right - seems a clever idea.

To be perfectly honest - I don't think many would have been too interested in a written price of content about the hassles of using voice control interaction; so to produce a piece of content on the matter that was interesting and informative is a job well done.

AColdDay

I know it's an impossibility, but man would I love Dave Lang or Brad Muir as the fourth chair.

If we are picking people who have 0% chance of happening, then I think Jeff Green trumps all these scrubs. He has the absolute best chemistry with the rest of the group and I would love to hear more Vinny/Jeff Green dad-related interactions.

jgminto

Hope Jeff know nows or comments that Iced was actually called Vainilla Ice

Also, somebody should send them a picture of Persona Q where the P4 cast does the Jojo poses.

I don't think Jeff really knows anything about JoJo, I think his only experience is some time with the capcom game.

daydream

Banned

When we live in a world where asking people to even read 1000 words seems like a big ask (where some would rather 'skip to the end' to just digest a conclusion paragraph, and mistakenly take it as you full opinion on a subject), condensing those same words into a video - which itself was well paced and entertaining in it's own right - seems a clever idea.

To be perfectly honest - I don't think many would have been too interested in a written price of content about the hassles of using voice control interaction; so to produce a piece of content on the matter that was interesting and informative is a job well done.

I completely agree, a video made much more sense than an article in this case. He also got to test out his recording equipment or whatever, so.. more GB Chicago content coming, I guess. I'm all for it.

Kerned

Banned
That video was the best thing to come out of Patrick in a long time; I'd completely lost interest in most of what he's been doing. This was interesting and just nicely put together all around. It is a bit strange having his voice disembodied and scripted, but it totally worked for me. I look forward to seeing what else he does with this format.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
jesus fuck, vinne and jeff doing the art critique for the baseball load... jesus that's exactly what that sounds like. down to a T, those are what those meetings like.

crazy.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
i feel like i gotta spend tomorrow going through all of vinnyvania. this new ones title sounds intriguing, but can i watch it out of order or do i need to see these from the beginning?

Zebetite

Banned
i feel like i gotta spend tomorrow going through all of vinnyvania. this new ones title sounds intriguing, but can i watch it out of order or do i need to see these from the beginning?

They're all just Vinny playing Castlevania 1. Each episode starts with him in the first stage, and going through most of the game only to reach a serious chokepoint and have to call it a week. There's a sort of player narrative in the sense that it takes him up to Episode 2 to reach Dracula, for instance, but it's not like you're technically missing any of Castlevania's content by skipping an episode. You see virtually all of it in each of the three episodes.

That said, the third one is more than an hour of Dracula attempts. It takes a special love of Castlevania and Giant Bomb to get through its latter half.

Myggen

They're all just Vinny playing Castlevania 1. Each episode starts with him in the first stage, and going through most of the game only to reach a serious chokepoint and have to call it a week. There's a sort of player narrative in the sense that it takes him up to Episode 2 to reach Dracula, for instance, but it's not like you're technically missing any of Castlevania's content by skipping an episode. You see virtually all of it in each of the three episodes.

That said, the third one is more than an hour of Dracula attempts. It takes a special love of Castlevania and Giant Bomb to get through its latter half.

It's almost TWO hours of Dracula attempts! Holy shit I hated that boss when I was young, never beat the second form (holy water is where it's at with that guy apparently).

Haunted

NEXT PAGE NEXT PAGE NEXT PAGE NEXT PAGE

Good video from Patrick.

On a related note, I know we do have some stats aficionados here, also some stalkers. Can we get a tally of how much content the GB crew has produced this year so far?

Zaph

Brad thinking that Microsoft is going to undercut PS4 on price?! Haha what?

I haven't listened to the Bombcast yet, but is that really so crazy? Here in the UK, the PS4 and XONE bundles basically have price parity now. Maybe MS does the maths and finds taking the hit now will cost them less than the costs of involved with having an increasingly distant second place console (third party exclusives cost more, DLC costs more, co-marketing deals get more expensive etc)?

Megasoum

Banned
Brad thinking that Microsoft is going to undercut PS4 on price?! Haha what?

Well on "value" in theory it's already doing that with all the rebates and packed-in games. I doubt they would lower the official MSRP lower than the PS4 unless they take out the Kinect tho

When we live in a world where asking people to even read 1000 words seems like a big ask..

Yeah his video was great and ultimately a better method of delivery.

Who wants to read a 1000 word article on how the Kinect doesn't work?

Save that for behind the scenes stuff that we aren't privy to already via other news sites/forum postings etc..

Jintor

Well, to be honest, I quite enjoy reading things, but I can appreciate that may not be in the tastes of all you fine gentlemen and ladies here.

jokes, jokes, the video was fine, it better suits their general output anyway

Hupsel

Yeah Jeff Green would be great. The dude is very charismatic. He even has his own endurance runs with the Dark Souls videos lol.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I think Patrick's strenghts are better suited for scripted content, actually. That kinect video was pretty awesome.

Agreed, much better there. Avoids the problem of constantly reiterating or repeating his core thought processes with slightly different verbage sometimes in multiple sentences, its like he sometimes repeats the same point spoken, even by others in the same conversation to further emphasize the point. The scripted content allows him to avoid the issue of repeating what he himself, or others have stated for enhanced dramatic effect or to really grind the point into the ears of the audience.

But yea, it was a well produced video that tackles both the pros and cons of the XBO Kinect search utility in a concise manner with a bit of humility and great use of examples. As someone that has yet to use a Kinect or XBO, it was a nice glimpse at the current state of the feature in popular apps that podcasts have had a bit of difficulty describing.

i also liked the Patrick video but i think this topic really benefited from the video aspect since it shows the viewer what it's actually doing/not doing and how those issues really undermine a very interesting feature.

If he's gonna do more hopefully its with that point in mind tbh.

graboids

2630141-vv.gif

I know we have had too much hiring speculation already but I will throw out Chris Antista... Lives in SF, he can write, podcast and do video content and I think the TalkRadar/ LaserTime attitude could work at GB... Not sure how many other Tdards there are here on GAF but I would love to see him join the crew...

God I miss TalkRadar.

Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom