• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
They should have milked the hiring process and turned it into a internet reality show/circus and let the giant bomb members vote who gets to be hired.

Just like Tested.com kinda did.

graboids

I know we have had too much hiring speculation already but I will throw out Chris Antista... Lives in SF, he can write, podcast and do video content and I think the TalkRadar/ LaserTime attitude could work at GB... Not sure how many other Tdards there are here on GAF but I would love to see him join the crew...

Zaph

Zoe Quinn just announced on twitter that she applied for the giant bomb job so good luck to the rest of you.

Err, maybe I'm getting people mixed up but I swear Zoe has recently announced at least two video game projects she's collaborating on.

Not sure if she realises that her game development career would have to end if she worked at Giant Bomb. I'm also not sure if she realises that publicly announcing on twitter that you're applying to a job that would immediately sever those collaborations is not a great way to inspire confidence in others regarding your work ethic. It makes you look very flaky, which isn't great when you're new to an industry.

Man, Cara is the best. I became an instant fan of hers after watching her appearance on BitAM. I said this somewhere, but she is a rising star and GB would be really lucky to have her.
Cara would be perfect, but unless she has dual-citizenship, I doubt this could happen. It's incredibly hard getting US work visas, especially when that person hasn't already been working at an international office for the same company for a significant time (like Danny did).

Is he talking about Tested: The Inventern? Wasn't really the same thing, they had a contest to be Adam's workshop assistant, not a Tested.com employee.

I caught the end of that when I do my annual check in on Tested, I thought it was a pretty cool idea actually. It felt like TV. Maybe I just like watching people making stuff, whatever it may be.

Megasoum

Banned
Only thing I noticed about Tested recently is that they put giant pop-up ads for the premium sub everywhere you go on the site. Not really surprised that they would be desperate for subs by now.

Dany

Banned
Only thing I noticed about Tested recently is that they put giant pop-up ads for the premium sub everywhere you go on the site. Not really surprised that they would be desperate for subs by now.
Apparently their site is larger than it was when it was with Whiskey.

Myggen

Apparently their site is larger than it was when it was with Whiskey.

They're doing good on Youtube, have a lot of subscribers and get a solid amount of views on their videos. I'm not sure how many of those visit the actual site though, and the Premium stuff seems pretty dead in the water if you look at the amount of Premium content they produce. But I think Tested is doing fine, they're getting a lot of exposure because of that Mythbusters connection.

They're doing good on Youtube, have a lot of subscribers and get a solid amount of views on their videos. I'm not sure how many of those visit the actual site though, and the Premium stuff seems pretty dead in the water if you look at the amount of Premium content they produce. But I think Tested is doing fine, they're getting a lot of exposure because of that Mythbusters connection.

wow you're totally right, I guess it makes sense though with all the other sciencey type shows on youtube. Not surprising that anything with Adam does incredibly well for views.

erawsd

I don't think Zoe is that funny though. Karen or Danny, on the other hand, are hilarious.

Agreed. I don't think Zoe is good enough on camera. I'd love to see Karen on board, always a fun time when she sat in. Whats she even doing these days? I'm also not sure she ticks any other checkboxes for the job description.

I know we have had too much hiring speculation already but I will throw out Chris Antista... Lives in SF, he can write, podcast and do video content and I think the TalkRadar/ LaserTime attitude could work at GB... Not sure how many other Tdards there are here on GAF but I would love to see him join the crew...

I know everyone around here wants someone less white and/or less male, but Chris would fit in perfectly. I havent kept up with him so I have no idea if its even possible.

Myggen

wow you're totally right, I guess it makes sense though with all the other sciencey type shows on youtube. Not surprising that anything with Adam does incredibly well for views.

Yeah. They're at the amount of subscribers that all their videos get a good baseline viewer count, and some videos get up to (and sometimes over) a million views. Tested is doing good, and good for them!

Also I find it funny that some here seem to suggest Karen for the job without irony. I like her, but I doubt she has played a single video game in her entire life. She has literally no interest in the medium.

Who are these people? Slow Beef? Retsupurae?

Slowbeef is a (now former) Something Awful mod who was basically one of the first people to do a video Let's Play. He modded the LP subforum for years, and over time (when not LPing) he started this series called Retspray (which got shut down and restarted as Retsupurae), which focused on mocking the early shitty Let's Plays springing up on YouTube.

As time wore on and LPs eventually became mostly scarecam videos of Steam sale games, they started to focus more on mocking Newgrounds and other bad flash games, mocking old adventure games by dubbing over video walkthrough footage, and other stuff.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is there a logistical reason why they don't just hire more interns? Seems like their intern roster evaporated big time.

Myggen

Is there a logistical reason why they don't just hire more interns?

Go to Jeff's Tumblr posts from today where he explains it. Especially this:

"I don’t really know what we’d do with interns. We don’t have time to train people, don’t have any place for them to sit, and so on. Maybe a production intern could clean up the studio and get lunch so that we don’t have to take hard breaks to eat (or, for me, to make sure that I actually eat instead of skipping lunch four days a week)? No idea. We underutilized our interns in the past and I’m not exactly planning to bring more in down the line. Maybe that’ll change."

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Jeff said they don't have the time or resources to train them, and no work he could imagine them doing
I guess I was picturing how Ian did the video stuff well enough to let Vinny take part in more stuff.

Brakke

Banned
Not sure if she realises that her game development career would have to end if she worked at Giant Bomb. I'm also not sure if she realises that publicly announcing on twitter that you're applying to a job that would immediately sever those collaborations is not a great way to inspire confidence in others regarding your work ethic. It makes you look very flaky, which isn't great when you're new to an industry.

Last I checked, she was a grown-ass adult. She probably realizes what commitments mean.

I like the idea of a female joining the crew but I feel like they could find someone way better than Cara or Zoe. I think Cara is a good writer but I dont think she would really mesh with the crew. That being said, I would take her over Zoe Quinn any day of the week. Maybe they should pick up Tara Long from the smoldering wreckage of Rev3 or If they really wanted to make my dreams come true hire Morgan Webb.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Damn where did all this potential hires talk come from all of a sudden? Can someone recap it for me please? :(

Patryn

Damn where did all this potential hires talk come from all of a sudden? Can someone recap it for me please? :(

They have posted 2 job openings. One for an associate editor and another for an associate producer.

So basically, an additional Brad and an additional Drew.

M3z_

It's only day two and I'm already tired of seeing people's opinions of who to hire. That happened faster than I thought.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
They have posted 2 job openings. One for an associate editor and another for an associate producer.

So basically, an additional Brad and an additional Drew.

Ty dude. And these specific names like Cara or Zoe, any foundation for that or just wishful thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom