• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I wish people would wait and see, no one is going to give a shit if you predicted the rise or fall of giant bomb content in relation to this change. See what happens maybe you will like it maybe you won't, nothing you say now means shit.

So because we can't predict the future we can't discuss it?

If I was on X-Files forums back in the day, I would have said the show was done without Mulder, not because I was super smart, but because I loved the show and that's how I felt (and it was a safe bet anyway). Same shit here. Why does it bother some people that others express opinions about something they are not happy about?

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I wish people would wait and see, no one is going to give a shit if you predicted the rise or fall of giant bomb content in relation to this change. See what happens maybe you will like it maybe you won't, nothing you say now means shit.

How dare anyone have a reaction or opinion to a big change. Assholes!

Mully

Seeing how excited the GB guys have been about the past few weeks is infectious. Everyone's (at the very least) interested in what's going to happen at GB. They obviously have a plan that's been in limbo for years. To see them get excited about it has me even more stoked for what's in store for GB.

Myggen

If I was on X-Files forums back in the day, I would have said the show was done without Mulder, not because I was super smart, but because I loved the show and that's how I felt (and it was a safe bet anyway). Same shit here. Why does it bother some people that others express opinions about something they are not happy about?

Seems a bit doom and gloom to say that the site is "done" the day of this announcement (if I understand your comparison to X-Files here).

M3z_

I phrased things more vaguely than I should of.

I didn't say you shouldn't discuss it. Sharing concerns or excitement is fine, but people in here talking in definitive tones or speaking with certainty about how this will surely do this or surely do that is stupid. Wondering what the podcast will be like or what kind of video features Vinny and Alex will make is not what I think is wasteful.

I wonder if they'll grow the NY team after getting the new hires in place in SF. Having two teams simultaneously creating content would be nice. Maybe even have a second games podcast that covers less mainstream games. But with how long it took for CBS to approve 2 new hires I probably shouldn't get my hopes up.

As for the new hires, I would love someone who's in to JRPGS and niche strategy games. As my favorite genres, It would be nice to see them get a little love on the site and podcast. That being said, I think it says a lot about the crew's personalities that i love the site so much when they very rarely cover the games i love the most.

BearPawB

Banned
I do wonder how "out of left field" they are willing to get with the new hires.

I am assuming editor at giant bomb would be a very sought after gig, leaving a fairly select group who are qualified/not already somewhere.

But at the end if the day there are only so many top teir people out there.

Would they be willing to try out a youtuber? A twitch streamer? A person just out of college? I just wonder what the chances of a new hire being a relative unknown.

Mully

I do wonder how "out of left field" they are willing to get with the new hires.

I am assuming editor at giant bomb would be a very sought after gig, leaving a fairly select group who are qualified/not already somewhere.

But at the end if the day there are only so many top teir people out there.

Would they be willing to try out a youtuber? A twitch streamer? A person just out of college? I just wonder what the chances of a new hire being a relative unknown.

They've mentioned they want someone who's able to prepare and book appointments for E3. I would wager that they want someone who's been in the industry long enough that won't be overwhelmed when E3 (immediately) comes around.

Chuck

Still without luck
I phrased things more vaguely than I should of.

I didn't say you shouldn't discuss it. Sharing concerns or excitement is fine, but people in here talking in definitive tones or speaking with certainty about how this will surely do this or surely do that is stupid. Wondering what the podcast will be like or what kind of video features Vinny and Alex will make is not what I think is wasteful.

Vinny is the best thing about giant bomb. This is a fact. Him going off into obscurity isn't a positive thing in any way.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Seems a bit doom and gloom to say that the site is "done" the day of this announcement (if I understand your comparison to X-Files here).

Well, no I wasn't directly comparing, just using 1 example why people feel the need to express an opinion and not just "wait and see"

Although I DO feel GB is more or less "done", but I've been feeling that for a long time now, not just because of this

Chuck

Still without luck
And there is no indication he's "going off into obscurity".

So much hyperbole
What the hell do you imagine him and alex are going to pull off in the closet CBSi will rent them in New York? I'd love to know.

Or I can be hyperbolic in the opposite way and say CBSi is going to allow them to hire half a dozen new people and GB east and west will be equally great.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
What the hell do you imagine him and alex are going to pull off in the closet CBSi will rent them in New York? I'd love to know.

Or I can be hyperbolic in the opposite way and say CBSi is going to allow them to hire half a dozen new people and GB east and west will be equally great.

Same thing that patrick did by putting out hella amount of content?

It doesn't have to be pure black and white.

Well, no I wasn't directly comparing, just using 1 example why people feel the need to express an opinion and not just "wait and see"

Although I DO feel GB is more or less "done", but I've been feeling that for a long time now, not just because of this

Then you should say that you yourself is done with giantbomb, because clearly there are plenty of people who feel otherwise!

caleb1915

Or you can calm down and see what happens? They're excited about the ideas they have. It's not like this is happening to you.

BearPawB

Banned

Vinny makes creative fun content. I imagine he can do that wherever he is.

I don't see why people who seemingly love vinny so much are doubting him now.

I don't know how it will go, but you don't either. Vinny and alex could be stuck in a hole in the ground and produce something I would like to watch.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
I'm not sure how you can feel GB is done when they are actually hiring multiple new people for pretty much the first time ever.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

CBS has offices in NYC, as they mentioned in the show. It's where a lot of the CNET NYC stuff is produced.

The real question is whether Vinny will be on camera as often, since he has to be the one running all the video equipment. That and just losing the rapport he has with the rest of the guys. Like, probably Vinny, Alex, and Patrick won't talk about shitting their pants in front of a girl texting on her phone on whatever podcast that they'll do later on.

Myggen

We don't really know, that's the point. You do seem to be pressing the panic button a bit too fast here.

Chuck

Still without luck
Same thing that patrick did by putting out hella amount of content?

It doesn't have to be pure black and white.
Patrick's work is mostly written and the spookins and solo stuff he does seriously doesn't seem like something Vinny would enjoy doing much.

Edit: also Vinny and Alex doesn't seem like a good combo at all. And now that's literally all we're going to get.

M3z_

It's more about frustration about things before their ramifications have played out. I don't mind seeing things criticized I just think it's a more interesting and rational conversation when you can point out examples because there are actual things you can reference. The Mulder comparison is not fair either because he actually left the show, Vinny is still with GB and there is really no telling how often he will appear in content moving forward, or what kind of content it will even be. There is very little you can be certain about seeing as the crew themselves are clearly not certain about what they will do.

If there was actual things to criticize I would feel like saying you don't like the change and explaining why would be fine. As of right now though no one knows that much about what they are losing or gaining in this change.

The idea that I am upset by negative view points directed at GB is completely ridiculous considering I myself am highly skeptical of the change, and share many of the same concerns so of the biggest detractors in this thread have stated, but I realize there is way more that I don't understand about this change right now than I do understand.

KorrZ

I am a little bit concerned about Vinny's move. I'm sure he'll still be actively producing content and such...but a lot of my favorite content on the site is the Vinny/Brad duo - they just work so well together. Jeff and Vinny of course are also an amazing combination.

I'm sorry but Alex and Vinny just isn't going to compare.

Rhaknar

Then you should say that you yourself is done with giantbomb, because clearly there are plenty of people who feel otherwise!

Well I did say "I have been feeling" which I thought implied it was my opinion and not a statement of fact.

Also, by done I don't mean it will close down, just isn't what I believe it used to be. Let's say they replaced the entire roster (won't happen but let's pretend) with gamespot people and left the site open. It wouldn't be done as in over, but it would be "done" for the majority of the fans correct? Like gamespot was "done" when Jeff and the others left

I like what Patrick writes but done care for the content he puts out which is basically what hundreds of twitch streamers put out. I don't particularly like Alex. I feel Jeff has grown more and more jaded and uninterested in the industry. Drew worked in small bursts but to me feels completely flat on the bombast (and barely plays any games anyway). Which leaves Brad, and Brad alone can't carry it for me.

I hope I'm wrong, I hope the new hires are good etc (giant bomb is pretty much the only site I visit besides gaf) but right now I feel what I feel. If people can't respect that and brush it off with "bah just wait and see!", well that's their right I guess.

Edit: actually Mulder didn't leave immediately, he spent season 8 being a side character, he left in season 9 (and returned for the finale). Sorry I'm a nerd :p

daydream

Banned
I'm sorry but Alex and Vinny just isn't going to compare.

They've only been in one QL together and that one went over very well, so.. why not wait and not make up your mind beforehand?

Edit: They've actually been in three so far, according to that QL filter.

M3z_

The real loser in this change is Drew, I mean the guy got to work side by side with Vinny for the past 6 years. What a bummer for him.

Rhaknar

Yeah, could very well end up like Vinny + Patrick quick looks (secret best QL combo)

Best combo for me was Ryan/Vinny. Uncharted 2 multiplayer beta quick look is still the funniest thing they ever done :p

BearPawB

Banned
What about the new hires? They applied thinking they would get to work with Vinny every day. Now their lives are ruined.

I'm pretty sure this wasn't decided in the last 72 hours.

I'm sure some of the reason for new hires was vinny leaving. Who ever is coming in assuredly knew vinny was going to ny

I'm pretty sure this wasn't decided in the last 72 hours.

I'm sure some of the reason for new hires was vinny leaving. Who ever is coming in assuredly knew vinny was going to ny

What, why would they know unless they have been chosen already? And even in that case, they wouldn't know when they applied.

I feel like you dissected my joke without reading it.

BearPawB

Banned
What, why would they know unless they have been chosen already? And even in that case, they wouldn't know when they applied.

I feel like you dissected my joke without reading it.

I understand your last line was humorous,

I get the vibe the new hires pretty much have been chosen. Or it's down to a few people, and I'm sure if they were down to a few people, they would be honest about the situation.

Of course they didn't know when they applied. But that's something you tell someone in a job interview

Awesome, shoestring budget, Guerilla Magilla shit. You know, the kind of stuff they did in a shitty basement in Sausalito.

Mickyykcim

Neo Member
After listening to the podcast and thinking about it for a bit, I'm excited to see what happens next. Some of my favorite pieces of content on the site have come from Drew (Iceland video and his E3 video) and Vinny when he is in charge and Jeff isn't there (Vinnycasts, the week where Jeff and Ryan were out when we got the Eurotruck QL).

It sounds like Jeff wants to move into doing more "mini-series" type content and I think Drew will do an amazing job editing and filming those. Vinny gets to be in charge of the NY stuff, I think we will get some crazy, hilarious, and unexpected content from him. Even though it's just him and Alex now, who knows who they'll meet and get involved with their content. I mean, at this point last year none of us knew who Danny was, and now everyone wants him to join the team.

So yeah, GB will definitely be a different website, but I think it'll be good. Hearing how excited Vinny sounds about the move was great. It's kinda like the start of GB all over again.

Lijik

I can confirm Obama definitely dropped out of the new hire running when he heard Vinny was moving to New York "This is BULLSHIT" the current president was reported to have said when reading the Giant Bomb article, followed by "Get Gerstmann on the phone I want OUT of this sham website"

Fox318

Awesome, shoestring budget, Guerilla Magilla shit. You know, the kind of stuff they did in a shitty basement in Sausalito.

Except they didn't have a corporate overlord making decisions.

How may forms do you think they will have to fill out to get equipment for their office?

Plus it will probably take them 2-4 years just to get the right equipment like what happened in the SF office.

If it was clear that CBS had a vision for Giantbomb in their future people wouldn't be asking these questions.

Antiwhippy

Except they didn't have a corporate overlord making decisions.

How may forms do you think they will have to fill out to get equipment for their office?

Plus it will probably take them 2-4 years just to get the right equipment like what happened in the SF office.

If it was clear that CBS had a vision for Giantbomb in their future people wouldn't be asking these questions.

Do you really think that vinny, a video producer, wouldn't think ahead about bringing equipment for producing videos, seeing that it's primarily his job, plus the fact that his new initiative in new york is specifically to make more videos?

Don't you think that he would have arranged it beforehand?

Coonce

It's really the end of an era when it comes to Vinny relocating - not that it's a bad thing. When I first got into Giantbomb videos I didn't really like Alex, but he's improved significantly since then.

I hope the best for the crew, and can't wait to see what new hires they pick up, maybe we'll see more of Danny O'dwyer too? Can't get enough of that irishman.

Fox318

Do you really think that vinny, a video producer, wouldn't think ahead about bringing equipment for producing videos, seeing that it's primarily his job, plus the fact that his new initiative in new york is specifically to make more videos?

Don't you think that he would have arranged it beforehand?

The same thing could have been said when Giantbomb was acquired. They joined CBS with no equipment.

Look how long it took them to get a Green-screen setup in the office!

Antiwhippy

The same thing could have been said when Giantbomb was acquired. They joined CBS with no equipment.

Look how long it took them to get a Green-screen setup in the office!

A green-screen setup they have been pretty much doing jack shit with for quite awhile now? Ever since there's been a dearth of kinect and wii games it hasn't exactly been in much use.

But it's also not as if they couldn't do anything when they first got acquired. The very baseline of the new plan for GBNY is to produce more quick looks and I really doubt that they would lack the equipment to do that. They can build out from that.

Also from what I remembered what they had trouble acquiring was live stream stuff like a tricaster and cameras needed. I doubt that he's going to be needing that much more equipment when he's with alex.

I really don't think it's going to be a case of him being unable to do anything in new york like some people are implying.

It sucks that we won't see Vinny on stuff like UPF, the podcast, etc. but i trust these guys to know how to run their website and put out good content. Jeff seems to have a very good understanding of what makes the site work well, and how best to fulfill what they need. I am confident he would not hire people who he don't mesh well with the site, or could not synergize well with Jeff, Brad, and Drew. That also extends to Jeff being aware of how popular Vinny is, and giving him what he needs in order to put out videos and content. Vinny seems to love his job, and will be motivated to make content in one way or another, even if he doesn't have the ideal setup or something right away in NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom