• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I haven't really watched or listened to anything Giant Bomb since the Xbox One launch stream (apart from that I stopped watching stuff around September last year) What's the best content to watch that's been released since then?

Have they gotten any less depressing? I felt they felt constantly bored out of their minds in any of their video content and zero interest in anything gaming during podcasts. That's what got me to slowly stop watching every quick look.
Both Souls streams (Load Out Last Souls and Breaking Brad: Demon's Souls) were good, as is (was, I guess) Vinnyvania.

Jpope

Neo Member
So I haven't really watched or listened to anything Giant Bomb since the Xbox One launch stream (apart from that I stopped watching stuff around September last year) What's the best content to watch that's been released since then?

Have they gotten any less depressing? I felt they felt constantly bored out of their minds in any of their video content and zero interest in anything gaming during podcasts. That's what got me to slowly stop watching every quick look.

GDC 2014 The Ed Boon episode.

FStop7

Banned

Nope, it's been about the same. Real talk. Used to be my favorite site. Still hoping they come around. Latest news w/ Vinny leaving has bummed me out, though.

On the one hand, I'm saddened by The V-Dog leaving and missing his podcast hosting, unheard gut-busting asides, and impromptu "left to his own devices in open-world games/the internet where that is clearly playing with fire" antics, but at the same time it's for a wonderful cause.

Enjoy yourself back home, Vinny.

MarkusRJR

Nope, it's been about the same. Real talk. Used to be my favorite site. Still hoping they come around. Latest news w/ Vinny leaving has bummed me out, though.
Wait what the fuck Vinny is leaving? Everyone is leaving now. How small is Giant Bomb going to be? Just Brad, Jeff, and Drew left basically... :(

Myggen

I'm sure most in this thread is gonna disagree that they were "depressing" in the first place, so that'll probably be difficult to answer.

Wait what the fuck Vinny is leaving? Everyone is leaving now. How small is Giant Bomb going to be? Just Brad, Jeff, and Drew left basically... :(

He's not leaving the site, but he is leaving for NYC because he and his wife wants to be closer to their families and is gonna work from there. They're hiring two new people to the SF office.

I'm sure most in this thread is gonna disagree that they were "depressing" in the first place, so that'll probably be difficult to answer.

To me that's what makes GB special is that they are always themselves. So yes, sometimes they are bored or over it, and there are times where I've taken a break from their content for whatever reason, but I always come back. They don't put on a smile like other media types do because they don't have to, because they built a bomb of their own and can be themselves. In the end it's what elevates their content over other sites.

Vinny says on the bombcast that he's always planned to head back east after a while (even back when he first started at whiskey) and now that he has Max, he said it'd make thinks much easier on his family if they were back East with the rest of their extended family

Did Vinny say when he was moving to NY?

I believe he said he's driving across country next Tuesday

Mully

Man this is weird. I actually know Vinny's dad. Fuck. Why didn't I put two and two together when I was drinking with him at PAX East. This is so weird. The dude is now going to be back here too, back on this island of guidos. Shudder.

Seriously though. This is exciting. What do you guys think GB East will do? For some reason I had this idea while working earlier today that GB will slowly turn into the VICE of the games industry. It'd be cool to have longer, documentary style videos about a game, a game's development, supporters and detractors of certain games, etc. Dude that'd be awesome.

Vinnyvania, all are great. I was kinda getting bored too for a bit earlier this year but they've really stepped it up.

skynidas

Banned
Man this is weird. I actually know Vinny's dad. Fuck. Why didn't I put two and two together when I was drinking with him at PAX East. This is so weird. The dude is now going to be back here too, back on this island of guidos. Shudder.

Seriously though. This is exciting. What do you guys think GB East will do? For some reason I had this idea while working earlier today that GB will slowly turn into the VICE of the games industry. It'd be cool to have longer, documentary style videos about a game, a game's development, supporters and detractors of certain games, etc. Dude that'd be awesome.

i they had the budget they could turn into that.

The thing about CK2 is that sometimes you get insane shit happening like in the idle thumbs' stream, and other times basically nothing interesting happens for 10 hours.

Absolutely, but if Scoops is gonna be trying out more produced video rather than just raw dumps of captured footage, then it'll work out. (Depending on anything cool happening at all, of course.)

Try:
Kinect Sports Rivals
Warehouse and Logistics Simulator
Both MLB 14 The Show Quick Looks
Ashes Cricket 2013

Also definitely check out the end of the PAX Panel, and the PAX Royal Rumble.

Mully

i they had the budget they could turn into that.

Hopefully they'll be able to get a budget like that soon. Patrick and Alex have shown that can continue to add great content to the site thousands of miles away. Both of them have also shown they're willing to jump outside their comfort zone and do something different with their own personal touch (Patrick's video editorial, Alex's Bombasticas).

Myggen

I don't think anyone knows what to expect, honestly. But I have enough fate in Vinny and the rest to trust that it's gonna be good :)

Xater

In the end everything will probably be fine but it will be quite the change. Really hope that they get those new people soon so production does not slow down on stuff. I do wonder though about GB East Coast, didn't Jeff say they are currently just hiring for the SF office? I don#t know how much stuff just Vinny and Alex can do.

I wouldnt mind shaking up the podcast a little. I think Jeff is a little stuck in his ways about it and maybe over thinking some things.

Look at the recent Vinny hosted podcasts as proof that guests + Patrick skyping in for the news works out well. Or the wrestling podcast which is essentially a Skypecast. Skype is OK. I dont thing the powerbombcast has suffered one bit because of skype.

Also a more varied cast wouldnt hurt as well. I feel like the bombcast is probably the only major gaming podcast in the last 5 years that didnt have a rotating guest spot. Heck the old hotspot was basically Rich + whoever was around that day.

Oh and they better do some big "So long Vinny" stream. And for god sake dont lock it behind premium membership.

Zomba13

I'm guessing this means more Vinny videos and that is an excellent thing. I'm excited to see what he can do in a new place!

I hope it means more Vinny videos. Hell, even the stupid thing Vinny did during the Rayman Origin credits that he shot from like a webcam at home or something was entertaining. It's just gonna suck that he wont be able to play off of the other GB core group, at least not regularly. Plus not sure how he's gonna be with Alex, I don't remember seeing them really interact in content much so not sure how good a team that is. Though Vinny/anyone is a good combo so it'll probably be fine.

Chabbs0

Banned
I hope it means more Vinny videos. Hell, even the stupid thing Vinny did during the Rayman Origin credits that he shot from like a webcam at home or something was entertaining. It's just gonna suck that he wont be able to play off of the other GB core group, at least not regularly. Plus not sure how he's gonna be with Alex, I don't remember seeing them really interact in content much so not sure how good a team that is. Though Vinny/anyone is a good combo so it'll probably be fine.

I'm excited to see him build a new office from scratch, hopefully he does a How To Build A Bomb series like Jeff did the first time.

Myggen

I wouldnt mind shaking up the podcast a little. I think Jeff is a little stuck in his ways about it and maybe over thinking some things.

Look at the recent Vinny hosted podcasts as proof that guests + Patrick skyping in for the news works out well. Or the wrestling podcast which is essentially a Skypecast. Skype is OK. I dont thing the powerbombcast has suffered one bit because of skype.

Also a more varied cast wouldnt hurt as well. I feel like the bombcast is probably the only major gaming podcast in the last 5 years that didnt have a rotating guest spot. Heck the old hotspot was basically Rich + whoever was around that day.

Oh and they better do some big "So long Vinny" stream. And for god sake dont lock it behind premium membership.

They said on the Bombcast that they're doing a big non-premium stream (with pizza!) next tuesday.

Also agree that Vinny could easily Skype into the Bombcast.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Wow just caught up on the news. Figures, get bought out, shit changes. Not sure i like this. Might unsub.

That being said if everything is great then great! I just want the group together and they are all splitting up.

erawsd

They said on the Bombcast that they're doing a big non-premium stream (with pizza!) next tuesday.

Also agree that Vinny could easily Skype into the Bombcast.

If he doesn't do the bombcast then I hope he at least does Bombing the AM. I think a Vinny type personality is exactly what they need on that show.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
At first I thought the Vinny news really sucked, but thinking more about it since he and Alex will seemingly be in a real office I actually think it could be great. We should actually see more Vinny content now, the only real downside is he won't be on the bombcast. I hope they bring Rorie in for that, though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, hopefully the new editor/producer will help fill out the team. Suddenly there's a lot more pressure on the new guys to fill some really big shoes though.

M3z_

I wish people would wait and see, no one is going to give a shit if you predicted the rise or fall of giant bomb content in relation to this change. See what happens maybe you will like it maybe you won't, nothing you say now means shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom