• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not listened to or watched any IGN audio/video content in forever so Greg Miller might be fine on that, but my only impression of him is reading reviews of his every now and then and unconsciously frowning.

Majine

Banned
100% honest, Greg Miller from IGN would bring a lot of enthusiasm that some people in this thread seem to want. Jeff seems to like him as well, he should poach him.

IGN is Gregs religion. I don't think he'll ever leave.

We talked about how low the odds are for getting Kyle Bosman. Greg Miller wouldn't even register on the same scale.

rObit

Banned
Greg Miller is great. He is enthusiastic but also not afraid to be critical. I feel like most people are either all hype or just come off as jaded. Greg has a good balance, I think.

I have no opinions one way or the other on Greg Miller, but I will say that the new GB hires absolutely must be enthusiastic about games. You've got Jeff, Brad, and Drew right now. I can't even think of the last time that watching any of them play a game has actually gotten me hyped up about said game.

*edit* Yes I can. Drew sold me on Next Car Game. So 2 points to Drew.

There was a point where Patrick was opening up to trying other games but it seems he's focused that now entirely on mobile and indie games.

Which is fine, but I liked when he was the guy who would go "Etrian Odyssey IV? I'll try that! Monster Hunter? I'd be willing to learn about it and see if I like it!"

Myggen

Who is Zodiac Motherfucker and what did he do ?

ZODIAC MOTHERFUCKER is an internet gimmick that started in the comment section of The AV Club. He writes everything in ALL CAPS, and talks about things that OWN (like the Crank movies and Robocop - at one point he made a pretty funny commentary track for Crank 2, you can find it on The AV Club somewhere). He's also on Twitter, and Alex, Ryan and Jeff has always been a fan of him (he's made two top 10 GOTY lists for the site). He was also banned from the GB forum, and there's a hilarious amount of people who feel the need to say that they "don't get it" when he posts a GOTY list on the site.

I don't think anyone knows if he was in jail or not, it is a gimmick account after all, but his Twitter account went silent for months last year and the last post was a picture of a cop car in his rear view mirrors. He made a comeback on Twitter last December with a tribute to Ryan, and a link to his GOTY list on GB.

There's your ZODIAC MF history. I've been a commenter on The AV Club since about 2006-2007, so I know my ZODIAC MF lore!

Anyways, seems a bit too much to change the title of this thread to "Goodbye Small Business Man" or anything like that. No need to get that down on the site until we see how it works out :)

Lunzio

I have no opinions one way or the other on Greg Miller, but I will say that the new GB hires absolutely must be enthusiastic about games. You've got Jeff, Brad, and Drew right now. I can't even think of the last time that watching any of them play a game has actually gotten me hyped up about said game.

*edit* Yes I can. Drew sold me on Next Car Game. So 2 points to Drew.

You speak true words, duder.

Edit: Greg Miller is actually pretty rad in my opinion (I check back into his content every few months) but he's IGN through and through.

Patryn

With Dave gone, Vinny moving cross country, what GB needs is someone with a deep love and understanding of old-school PC games. Someone who can speak intelligently on Pillars and Torment and will play Mount & Blade and Clockwork Empires and stuff like that.

Actually, I could foresee this as getting more of that content. It may be Vinny-only content, but look at the sort of stuff that Patrick and Alex produce.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I hope the new hires are from left field and no one anyone knows. Give them room to grow and acclimate, would be a lot better than well established voices struggling or trying to adjust with the fan base and the duders.

New > established

Actually, I could foresee this as getting more of that content. It may be Vinny-only content, but look at the sort of stuff that Patrick and Alex produce.

That's possible, but so far from what I've watched I have not enjoyed any solo content except for Jeff's stuff. Maybe Vinny shares that magic, but haven't gotten that feeling from Patrick or Alex. Though I did kinda like Alex's wrestling game Bombasticas.

Myggen

That's possible, but so far from what I've watched I have not enjoyed any solo content except for Jeff's stuff. Maybe Vinny shares that magic, but haven't gotten that feeling from Patrick or Alex. Though I did kinda like Alex's wrestling game Bombasticas.

I think it's too early to tell what they'll be up to. I think Vinny's producer roots will make him want to work with other people as much as possible, so I see him pushing to get some office space with Alex ASAP. From there, who knows? If there's one person who can both pull off solo content and have great ideas for other stuff, it's Vinny.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
There was a point where Patrick was opening up to trying other games but it seems he's focused that now entirely on mobile and indie games.

Which is fine, but I liked when he was the guy who would go "Etrian Odyssey IV? I'll try that! Monster Hunter? I'd be willing to learn about it and see if I like it!"

What should I check out? That could be a fun video series. I've been looking for a reason to do another video essay, and maybe playing a bunch of games I've never played before in genres that I've never tried before would prove to be an entertaining series to edit...

What should I check out? That could be a fun video series. I've been looking for a reason to do another video essay, and maybe playing a bunch of games I've never played before in genres that I've never tried before would prove to be an entertaining series to edit...

Have you watched that Taro Yoko interview Square put up? I think his way of making games (janky though they may be) could be really appealing to you. Definitely check out Nier and Drakengard 3, as though they're ARPGs, they are pretty different in terms of tone. Kohler makes a succinct argument for it here.

Maybe something known but not often talked about like Yakuza 4 or Dwarf Fortress would be interesting to see you check out.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I think a feature on old, forgotten franchises from day's past would be interesting, especially on systems that weren't super popular in the States.

Patrick Klepek

Have you watched that Taro Yoko interview Square put up? I think his way of making games (janky though they may be) could be really appealing to you. Definitely check out Nier and Drakengard 3, as though they're ARPGs, they are pretty different in terms of tone. Kohler makes a succinct argument for it here.

Maybe something known but not often talked about like Yakuza 4 or Dwarf Fortress would be interesting to see you check out.

Crap. This would be a good excuse to play Drakengard 3.

daydream

Banned

Hey Patrick, since you're already here - Kero Blaster desperately needs to be on the next Worth Playing. It's the new game by Cave Story creator Pixel, so unsurprisingly, impressions have been close to 100% positive. It's a fantastic game. People are preoccupied with E3 and other nonsense, and they're missing out on a real gem here. You could also just play the free prologue, Pink Hour. It's not quite indicative of the full experience, but still very charming.

I'm guessing you guys would do a QL once it hits Steam, but since there's no date for that yet and you get a Steam key for buying on Playism, anyway, now's as good a time as any to showcase it. Hope you'll consider it. :)

Crap. This would be a good excuse to play Drakengard 3.

Go for it! It's actually pretty fascinating that the game even got made. It's pretty deceptive about its tone with the first few hours of the game, but it's a game that's clearly a directorial vision and we get so few of those in the retail game space nowadays.

I would be endlessly pleased to see you try Dwarf Fortress. It's not nearly as tough to get into as it seems, once you get past the interface. And there are so many emergent stories that come from playing it. There's a good QuickStart guide on the DF wiki if you want to try it. It even recommends good graphical tilesets so you don't have to use ASCII.

Patrick Klepek

You could always try some fighting games. Play Ultra when it comes out for a month and see if you can bop Lang by the end of it.

I'm thinking something more like Crusader Kings, but noted!

Hey Patrick, since you're already here - Kero Blaster desperately needs to be on the next Worth Playing. It's the new game by Cave Story creator Pixel, so unsurprisingly, impressions have been close to 100% positive. It's a fantastic game. People are preoccupied with E3 and other nonsense, and they're missing out on a real gem here. You could also just play the free prologue, Pink Hour. It's not quite indicative of the full experience, but still very charming.

I'm guessing you guys would do a QL once it hits Steam, but since there's no date for that yet and you get a Steam key for buying on Playism, anyway, now's as good a time as any to showcase it. Hope you'll consider it. :)

I've definitely been meaning to check this out, and will do that ASAP!

BearPawB

Banned

I would love if you could get into crusader kings 2. I own the game, have attempted to play it countless times, and never understand what's going on. So you getting into it would mean I could give it another shot as well...

I know so many people who love the game and I want to understand it!

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
That's about my experience with Crusader Kings as well. Start it up, sort of look at stuff and click around for a few minutes, then give up when I realise I don't know what's going on.

Civ 5 might be fun to watch. Wasn't there some talk about you playing that Patrick, or am I thinking of another person who hadn't played a civ game?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Crusader Kings II is my GOTY 2013 but doesn't work on video at all.

Really disagree with this. Idle Thumbs did like 10 hours of Crusader Kings 2 streams and it was my favorite content they've done outside the podcast. Their love of emergent gameplay stories really helped that along, but there are plenty of CK2 videos on Youtube that seem pretty well received.

Xater

Europa Universalis IV is easier to get into but Crusader Kings 2 is better when it comes to emergent story development. Just keep in mind that the tutorial in that game is garbage and you are better off watching some video tutorials people did.

no way that GB Chiraq moves to NY? It's closer than SF :p

Jeff Green would be a nice addition to GBSF, no replacing Vincenzo, but he's a guy who brings lots to the table.

What other old podcast dudes are on the free agent list?
(pls no GB weekend confirmed)

sixghost

Oh man, this would be brilliant. Sean and Chris' (iirc) war stories from this game on Thumbs were incredible. If you can document anything as exciting as that, it'll easily be top-tier content.

The thing about CK2 is that sometimes you get insane shit happening like in the idle thumbs' stream, and other times basically nothing interesting happens for 10 hours.

MarkusRJR

So I haven't really watched or listened to anything Giant Bomb since the Xbox One launch stream (apart from that I stopped watching stuff around September last year) What's the best content to watch that's been released since then?

Have they gotten any less depressing? I felt they felt constantly bored out of their minds in any of their video content and zero interest in anything gaming during podcasts. That's what got me to slowly stop watching every quick look.

Zaph

ibxnRbbI34vD64.gif

ibgfDRcBw4Y4UC.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom