• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is GB East a legitimate thing or is it possible Vinny will gradually phase out doing GB stuff and move on to something else? I'm hoping it's the former, obviously. I really hope he keeps doing the podcast, but it seems doubtful :-/ He's by far my favorite GBer.

Majine

Banned
Is GB East a legitimate thing or is it possible Vinny will gradually phase out doing GB stuff and move on to something else? I'm hoping it's the former, obviously. I really hope he keeps doing the podcast, but it seems doubtful :-/ He's by far my favorite GBer.

If he didn't want to do it, I expected him to be smart enough to quit long ago.

The latter, I can't see this second site thing working out, not even Gamespot has two offices, looking at how long it took them to get CBSi to replace their equipment and hire only two new people I can't imagine them funding two offices now unless they have a big budget and aren't taking as many people on so they can keep Vinny and the new office funded.

Myggen

Everything is always possible, but as of right now we don't know enough to say much about it. I'm optimistic, but you'll find plenty of doom and gloom about this (as you did when they moved to CBSi).

The latter, I can't see this second site thing working out, not even Gamespot has two offices, looking at how long it took them to get CBSi to replace their equipment and hire only two new people I can't imagine them funding two offices now unless they have a big budget and aren't taking as many people on so they can keep Vinny and the new office funded.

I think you're vastly overestimating the cost of a second office if they can hire in an existing CBSi office.

Have they said anything about whether they are still going to do their games of the generation thing? I imagine that just got a whole lot more difficult with Vinny leaving.

Was that ever a serious suggestion? I always took that as more of a joke on the podcast. They don't seem like the kind of guys who wants to do a serious GOTG thing.

sixghost

Have they said anything about whether they are still going to do their games of the generation thing? I imagine that just got a whole lot more difficult with Vinny leaving.

I'd like to think they have some plan on how resources are going to be acquired before Vinny bought a place and stuff. They said it's been vaugely in the works for years now.

Zaph

You know CBSi has two massive office buildings in SF and NY, right? Alex literally has a desk at the NY office which he got when he moved there, he just never uses it.

They're not funding anything abnormally extra aside from studio equipment - something that needs to be bought in increasing quantities anyway when you hire more staff.

The more pertinent question will be - is there much for Vinny to really do until they get more NY staff (which is 'expected' to happen in 2014). He'll basically be setting up for only Alex (and himself).

The more pertinent question will be - is there much for Vinny to really do until they get more NY staff (which is 'expected' to happen in 2014). He'll basically be setting up for only Alex (and himself).
Friday Morning Vinny: Your Weekly FMV Game Showcase

Super late on this news as I'm just now getting to that part of this week's podcast.. But I have to admit, I'm pretty bummed out. That's not to say I'll cancel my membership or anything rash, but yeah, just bummed out.

A little excited to see what they have in store, though. If the VinDawg is looking forward to it, I gotta trust in his vision.

/cries

DoctorZ

This is why there has been so much doom and gloom regarding this. The fear is that Vinny will eventually phase out of GB completely, which is a perfectly legitimate fear to have with the past changes that GB has gone through.

Mesoian

BRAD NICHOLSON RETURNS!!!! YAY!

Nicholson is cool just didn't click with the crew. Smart dude though

They didn't do a great job assimilating his news persona. He had a long established style when he worked at destructoid that wasn't really catered to when he came to GB. It's a shame, Brad Nicho-stone is pretty cool dude. Lifts weights and doesn't afraid of anything.

This is why there has been so much doom and gloom regarding this. The fear is that Vinny will eventually phase out of GB completely, which is a perfectly legitimate fear to have with the past changes that GB has gone through.

Not really? Patrick has arguably put out more content since he moved.

Patryn

And yet Alex has continued to work at GB and produce content for 2 years now with no end in sight.

Interesting how that works.

I have two fears about this:

1) If GBNY is Vinny and Alex for a while, Vinny will probably not be on camera as much so he can run video stuff. I like Vinny on camera. He's by far the most personable member of Giant Bomb.

2) I like Vinny's interplay with the San Francisco staff and I like him on the Bombcast. Both of these things will be incredibly rare occurrences from here on out. A GBNYcast only fills a little of what worked.

Maybe there will be a lot of pros that outweigh the cons, but it's impossible for me not to see some sort of downside.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I have two fears about this:

1) If GBNY is Vinny and Alex for a while, Vinny will probably not be on camera as much so he can run video stuff. I like Vinny on camera. He's by far the most personable member of Giant Bomb.

2) I like Vinny's interplay with the San Francisco staff and I like him on the Bombcast. Both of these things will be incredibly rare occurrences from here on out. A GBNYcast only fills a little of what worked.

Maybe there will be a lot of pros that outweigh the cons, but it's impossible for me not to see some sort of downside.

There won't be much camera work with only one other person.

I think what's most likely is that GBNY is going to be a quick look factory so SF can focus more on those video miniseries Jeff keeps talking about.

Alex plays the most new games out of all of them anyway and quick looks are fairly simple to produce

Patryn

He works from home though, he doesn't require studio equipment or an editor/producer.

The fact remains that we have evidence showing that people are able to continue working at GB from remote sites without fading away. In fact, we have 2 clear cases of that happening.

We have 0 evidence your theory is correct.

I tend to veer on the side that has all the evidence.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
As far as skyping Vinny in every week, the Retronauts podcast seems to do pretty seamless conversation with Jeremy Parish on skype. Maybe they could try it out at first to see how it flows. The idea of two separate podcasts doesn't really seem like it works, since there would be a ton of overlapping conversations between the two, right?

I bet what will happen is Vinny will produce Scoops and the Wolf like someone would produce any live talk show. Set out what they're going to talk about, have clips and pictures ready to cut to, and let the hosts talk.

megalowho

I'm sort of working off of the assumption that sooner or later, there'll be new hires for Vinny and Alex's operation in NYC.
Agreed. With both locations staffed up by just a few folks, plus Patrick + company's output in Chicago, they'll have the capacity to produce quite a bit of recorded and live content with unique identities and guest opportunities in each place. The site is set up to grow, so long as the funding and staff is there to back their ideas up.

Maybe it won't be a worthwhile tradeoff with Vinny not being around SF for chemistry reasons, I get that sentiment for sure. But from the way they talk about it it sounds like he's going to NY to be the boss (the Jeff) of this Giant Bomb expansion, not just set up Alex's camera, which sounds like a pretty cool opportunity. Looking forward to seeing what these changes bring all around, I have nostalgia for the heady Whiskey Media days as much as any longtime fan but I'm down for the ride ahead all the same.

Myggen

Huh, Planetary Annhilation looks pretty fucking awesome. Wasn't on my radar at all before this QL EX. It has the potential to have a pretty epic scale.

Plasma

Banned
I never usually jump when Patrick plays horror games but god damn did it get me on Dreadout when he puts the phone away and ghost with the red eyes just pops up on the screen.

chrissedoff

Neo Member
Is Alex even close to being telegenic/charismatic enough to anchor video content? I don't even think Vinny can carry him because the two don't have much chemistry.

Is Alex even close to being telegenic/charismatic enough to anchor video content? I don't even think Vinny can carry him because the two don't have much chemistry.

he seems a lot looser these days and more laid back. hard and his nerves seemed to get the better of him. he seems a lot looser these days and more laid back. I went from not really liking him too much to looking forward to his thoughts are on the new releases on the morning podcasts.

so the duder is much better these days.

LiK

90% of the podcasts I listen to all use Skype in one form or another. More guys are using Google Hangouts these days cuz they can see each other (including Bombin').

DoctorZ

Not really? Patrick has arguably put out more content since he moved.

It's not a question of quantity, it's quality. I personally don't see myself enjoying Vinny+Alex content as much as Vinny+SF crew content. I enjoyed Patrick's stuff when he was in SF, but mainly because he interacted with the SF crew.

Some people love Patrick and Alex's content. I am not one of those people and I think a lot of people here would much rather have Vinny+SF over any other scenario.

If things don't work out in NY for Vinny I don't see why he would stick with GB if the funding and support isn't there. He doesn't make a living in way that Patrick and Alex do, he needs CBSi to give him the support he needs in order to create the video content that has made GB as interesting as it is. That's a bit far off, but I don't think its unreasonable to think this could happen.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Just heard one of the Vinny/Drew-chosen royalty free songs playing as background music on one of the (many) antiques shows shown on british television around dinner time. The one with the whistling. Freaked me out for a second.

E: To add to the Alex discussion - dude clearly knows his shit about video games and has proved that he can talk interestingly and at length about them in his bombasticas. I'm excited to see him given the opportunity to maybe do more stuff like that with fewer restrictions, and with a partner.

Is there some sort of summary about Brad Nicholson and his involvement at Giant Bomb? (Edit: Thanks for the info!)

Using GB's search function is akin to wandering a labyrinth.

Did a quick doodle this morning.

Great doodle!

I will call it Vin and a Van.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Is there some sort of summary about Brad Nicholson and his involvement at Giant Bomb?

Great doodle!

I will call it Vin and a Van.

He posted a bunch of news from last week's popular Kotaku headlines, added some factual errors, and made sure you knew he went to the gym before posting about it. His content while there pretty much ranged from pointless to insufferable. He was there as a freelancer to post some news stories before they had a dedicated news editor, so when Patrick came on he wasn't needed any more. I don't think there was anything more to him leaving, just that he was there for a small role that got replaced/made irrelevant by Patrick's hiring.

DoctorZ

Is there some sort of summary about Brad Nicholson and his involvement at Giant Bomb?

Edit: Someone already gave a response.

I'll add though that the community in general did not like his articles, this is not just a few people posting in anger now. He appeared on a bombcast and on video a few times. I remember him on some live show calling in via the Kinect for example when that came out. He was a fine person, but his news articles were making the site feel like the opposite of what Jeff seemed to fight against in terms of what a video game website should be.

Myggen

Quick Look of Wolfenstein now up on Gamespot. Assimilation has begun!

I'm surprised that hasn't happened before tbh, it just seems like common sense for CBSi to do something along those lines when GS has so little actual original video coverage of games compared to written coverage.

From Jeff's Tumblr:

Yeah, that’s finally happening after a couple of years of everyone nodding their heads and saying “yeah, that’s something we should do.” It’s part of a larger plan to expose what we do to more people. We’re also talking about running ads for Giant Bomb on other CBS sites, which will probably start happening this summer.

The current implementation of Quick Looks on GameSpot is temporary, eventually it’ll have clearer links back to Giant Bomb and all that sort of stuff. That’ll just take a little development work.

World domination, that sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom