• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Every time I see people bitch about how badly Mario Kart screws them and they played perfectly and it's not at all their fault they lose and fuck this game, I remember the time I shot a blue shell at my buddy's girlfriend and she dodged it. Repeatedly. And how an entire race of twelve people could not catch her in any race except one where she got 2nd by less than a second.

Or the girl who lives in my dorm in college that won drinking money by beating us all at Mario Kart consistently. No number of pity items made it so the less skilled person won.
respectfully: the point of this anecdote is that everyone who complains about items just needs to play better?

obonicus

How much of their MaKa apathy is a general dislike of racing games with weapons or attacks? I don't recall any of them being fans of Wipeout, Rollcage, F-Zero, etc.

I don't think Jeff likes Kart racers, but he does like Wipeout. I suspect more for the aesthetic, though.

My final card:

http://i.imgur.com/i6H0AkP.png

Some notes:

- Character hate for Koopa Kid and Toad present from Alex but not Jeff

- Mii hate present from Alex and Jeff

- No discussion of whether new MK8 features were in past games, but there is debate over when gliders first appeared

- Brad does relate an esoteric Mario Kart DS experience, but that one’s a bit of a tough call.

- Alex gets close to “Mario-Kart-ass-Mario-Kart": “Yeah, you know, this game is just Nintendo doing what it does. And doing it well.”

- Battle mode hate is present, but “bummer” is not used.

- Wasn't attentive enough to be certain that "Huh... weird" wasn't present

So depending on how lenient you are, we arguably had a bingo.

Myggen

How much of their MaKa apathy is a general dislike of racing games with weapons or attacks? I don't recall any of them being fans of Wipeout, Rollcage, F-Zero, etc.

Jeff has at least been pretty vocal about his disinterest in the franchise for years now, especially how he dislikes the N64 version. So that shouldn't come as a surprise for anyone (and to be fair he says that the game looks really good visually, and doesn't seem too down on the game other than it not being made for him). And you're right, I can't really remember anyone of them being very vocal for those kinds of games. Jeff likes Twisted Metal quite a bit I think (not the last one), but that's more of a battle game than anything else.

Jeff is actually pretty annoying at times lately which I've never found to be the case, finding things to complain about without any real base. A lot of the item rebalanching he said he would want actually made its way into Mario Kart 8.

Not nearly to the extent that he wants though. He pretty much wants MK not to be a kart racer :)

Jeff is actually pretty annoying at times lately which I've never found to be the case, finding things to complain about without any real base. A lot of the item rebalanching he said he would want actually made its way into Mario Kart 8.

If nothing else just lots of constant, mario kart sucks ugggggh peaked 20 years ago, just gets kind of frustrating. Still, he usually manages to pull away from it and say something funny.

ah so Jeff is one of those "I am the best I can possibly be at this game I deserve to be in first place uncontested for the entire race" people when it comes to Mario Kart

My friend called it the Forza/GT effect. You put your car in such a tuned state that anything but victory and if you get 2nd it is due to the AI screwing you over or you didn't put enough mods into your car.

Mario don't play you like that. Embrace the "Anything can happen in Racing" spirit.

respectfully: the point of this anecdote is that everyone who complains about items just needs to play better?

It's that the argument that there's a skill ceiling where you can't do anything about the items and they're preventing you from winning isn't actually true. It'd be like saying Street Fighter is impossible because how on earth can you get past Hadoukens when jumping would get your Shoryukened?

I guess to some extent, it is just "Play better," but that's sort of reductionist. It's more "This thing you think is a ceiling, isn't. Stop thinking of it as one."

Zabant

It's that the argument that there's a skill ceiling where you can't do anything about the items and they're preventing you from winning isn't actually true. It'd be like saying Street Fighter is impossible because how on earth can you get past Hadoukens when jumping would get your Shoryukened?

I guess to some extent, it is just "Play better," but that's sort of reductionist. It's more "This thing you think is a ceiling, isn't. Stop thinking of it as one."

To which Jeff would say "I don't care enough to get that good at mario kart"

This is a fun game.

Huh, seems like a missed Baby hate from Jeff? Also, when did they criticise the selection of classic tracks?

At one point Alex says the babies are terrible and Jeff says "Yep." or something along those lines.

Brad expresses dismay at the selection of SNES tracks, including the exclusion of one track in particular (Ghost Valley, maybe?)

Side note: What do y'all think of Blur? I enjoyed the hell out of that game.

Haunted

all this Jeff negativity in this thread is getting me down

Someone give me a link to the last QL in which Jeff was really excited and enthusiastic about a game.

Lijik

My final card:

http://i.imgur.com/i6H0AkP.png

Some notes:

- Character hate for Koopa Kid and Toad present from Alex but not Jeff

- Mii hate present from Alex and Jeff

- No discussion of whether new MK8 features were in past games, but there is debate over when gliders first appeared

- Brad does relate an esoteric Mario Kart DS experience, but that one’s a bit of a tough call.

- Alex gets close to “Mario-Kart-ass-Mario-Kart": “Yeah, you know, this game is just Nintendo doing what it does. And doing it well.”

- Battle mode hate is present, but “bummer” is not used.

- Wasn't attentive enough to be certain that "Huh... weird" wasn't present

So depending on how lenient you are, we arguably had a bingo.
My final card:
http://i.imgur.com/iIlpD4h.png
i wound up being lenient on some of those aspects. Its a bingo! Great work everyone!
That was fun, now lets agree to never do this again

I understand the whole "Jeff is negative" thing, but I thought people liked how opinionated and less "impartial" Giant Bomb was. While it can be overbearing when it's too much in a row, you gotta take the good with the bad.

The bad being Brad's DOTA addiction.

I understand the whole "Jeff is negative" thing, but I thought people liked how opinionated and less "impartial" Giant Bomb was. While it can be overbearing when it's too much in a row, you gotta take the good with the bad.

That's the good.

Brashnir

Does the game include, or does the game not include, mechanics designed deliberately to give help to players who are losing?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

But he doesn't like what I like.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

just to be clear, there's always a 100% reliable way of avoiding every item in Mario Kart? I googled this and couldn't really find a straight answer, so I'll defer it to you guys, I guess.

Haunted

Crash time autobahn pursuit.
I meant unironically :D

"Jeff plays c64"
Not a QL but Strider NES
Then gets crushed
Not technically QLs!

Mortal Kombat 9?
He seemed to remarkably like Heavy Bullets, but that's Unfinished.
Uhh ... Syndicate?
I think these are good picks. He did like Syndicate.

The one that came to my mind where one could reasonably say that Jeff was actually excited, maybe even joyous about something was seeing his likeness scanned in in Ubisoft's Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012 (QL date: 25.11.2011)

hamchan

There is totally a point in Mario Kart where two great racers with near equal skill and perfect navigation of the track, will have the match determined by items. That's pretty much the game at high level play, where the driving is easy for them and lucky items is the main variable.

Of course, this doesn't really apply to the Giant Bomb guys...

daydream

Banned
Do you guys do this every time? That's awesome

No, and we shouldn't. It's just for fun, but it sends the wrong message.

Some people get bothered by it, as you can see, but I don't mind that Jeff can't get into certain games. I just don't get what I would gain out of it if he did like MK8 or YI or whatever. I disagree with the majority of the staff's taste, but I also don't watch to get approval of my opinions.

Stomp Farmer

Neo Member

Agreed. Someone who's mastered the courses, mini-turboing, and item management will finish near the top of the pack nearly every time, even if they get cheap-shotted a couple of times along the way. I like the item handicaps and general sense of chaos, but I think its role in Mario Kart is often overstated. There is a fair bit of skill involved, and if you're not finishing well most of the time, chances are you could be playing a lot better.

That's not to say there's anything wrong with not being good at the game, or that Mario Kart is some kind of eSports-calibre masterpiece, but it's tiresome to hear people blame the game for their own lack of skill at it.

No, and we shouldn't. It's just for fun, but it sends the wrong message.

Some people get bothered by it, as you can see, but I don't mind that Jeff can't get into certain games. I just don't get what I would gain out of it if he did like MK8 or YI or whatever. I disagree with the majority of the staff's taste, but I also don't watch to get approval of my opinions.

I don't care about all that. Just thought the bingo card was funny

Rapstah

If we're talking about mannerisms I found this article or whatever it is pretty typical of Alex:

alexsqkn6.png

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I mean, honestly, I could do the same bingo scorecard thing whenever they play a fighting game that is not street fighter or mortal kombat.

But I don't because hey, whatever. They're not actually that into other fighting games and that's fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom