• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

lol I guess it got taken down. That link brings me to a new story about Bioshock in space.
I'm still watching it.

To give a counterperspective to the baby hate, my niece (6) recently complained that there weren't enough babies in the roster and she would've liked to see more.

Mr. F

Banned
fuuuuuck, of course there should have been a space for jeff complaining about worse items for the guys in front

edit: i closed it and reopened it, they took it down.

He's not wrong, even though it's understandable why it was kind of lame always getting bananas in first/second place in the older games but the constant coins in MK8 make that look like a treat. Super boring item when you can't even play defensively.

daydream

Banned
15 minutes in, I have five spaces crossed off.

Edit: We forgot 'Alex doesn't use a central mechanic of the game' which would be doing tricks after every jump to get a boost. That's a basic technique.

He's not wrong, even though it's understandable why it was kind of lame always getting bananas in first/second place in the older games but the constant coins in MK8 make that look like a treat. Super boring item when you can't even play defensively.

It seems to be designed to not want you to play defensively. The answer to almost every conundrum in MK8 is "Hey, race better." They don't want you out in front holding on to three green shells and then a banana peel if that runs out and they compensated by making spinning out/falling take far less time.

I can understand preferring it another way, but they had an intentional goal with it that wasn't just leaving a hole open.

modern-family-phil-thumbs-up-gif_zps2a5ba85d.gif

Zabant

19mins in and were being super reductionist with "what does anyone want out of anything anymore" in regards to a conversation about naughty dog making a new crash bandicoot game (lolwut)

Jeff sneering at people playing MKDS in their lunchtimes is the equivalent of somehow going to an arcade in 1992 and sneering at people playing Street Fighter II

daydream

Banned
You can totally have AIs online btw. Shame they don't complain about it, I'd have gotten closer to a Bingo.

Edit: AHA, you can totally do GPs online if you set it up that way. I'll take Brad's "hm" as a complaint, thank you very much.

FluxWaveZ

"I haven't played a mario kart since they introduced flying"
Oh Brad

Don't really want to jump on the hate train conducted by the MK8 QL, but there's something about Brad and needing to mention how long it's been since he paid attention to a particular established franchise or game that I've noticed recently.

Myggen

This bingo thing is equal parts hilarious and depressing

I'm not really surprised that people are able to predict reasonably well what their opinion of the game will be after watching them play games for 6+ years.

Don't really want to jump on the hate train conducted by the MK8 QL, but there's something about Brad and needing to mention how long it's been since he paid attention to a particular established franchise or game that I've noticed recently.

What do you want him to say? It's not like he's bragging about it, he's just saying it like it is: He hasn't kept up with the franchise since the DS.

JayEH

Wow the bingo idea is amazing. And like someone said we're going down a dangerous road lol.

It's also kind of sad that we all can predict GB events so well haha.

Nishastra

Banned
Mario 2 can show up once we get Diddy Kong back. Wario Ware characters are long overdue too.
Anything would be better than metal and baby versions of characters that don't have any real reason to exist.

Baby Mario and Luigi were an actual thing, and so was Metal Mario, but at this point it seems like we'll end up with Metal Baby Daisy at some point.

I think the biggest bummer is that this is a quicklook for a four-player game and there are only three people in it and one of them works across the country. That says a lot.

Every time I see people bitch about how badly Mario Kart screws them and they played perfectly and it's not at all their fault they lose and fuck this game, I remember the time I shot a blue shell at my buddy's girlfriend and she dodged it. Repeatedly. And how an entire race of twelve people could not catch her in any race except one where she got 2nd by less than a second.

Or the girl who lives in my dorm in college that won drinking money by beating us all at Mario Kart consistently. No number of pity items made it so the less skilled person won.

Kyou

ah so Jeff is one of those "I am the best I can possibly be at this game I deserve to be in first place uncontested for the entire race" people when it comes to Mario Kart

Anything would be better than metal and baby versions of characters that don't have any real reason to exist.

Baby Mario and Luigi were an actual thing, and so was Metal Mario, but at this point it seems like we'll end up with Metal Baby Daisy at some point.

Baby Peach was a thing too, in fairness. Yoshi's Island DS. The annoying thing is that YIDS also introduced Baby Wario, who has NEVER been in a Mario Kart game. If you're going to have 5 (!) babies, at least include the best one.

FluxWaveZ

I'm not saying that he knows a lot about the franchise here.

If he played the Mario Kart that introduced planes—the one before this one—then why would he make it sound like he hadn't touched the franchise for a long time?

If he didn't play the Mario Kart that introduced planes—the one before this one—then why would he make it sound like he played it?

It could just be a simple confusion, but then that relates to what I was saying initially.

Myggen

If he played the Mario Kart that introduced planes—the one before this one—then why would he make it sound like he hadn't touched the franchise for a long time?

If he didn't play the Mario Kart that introduced planes—the one before this one—then why would he make it sound like he played it?

It could just be a simple confusion, but then that relates to what I was saying initially.

I don't remember the conversation well enough to say either or about that really. I think it's more confusion than him having to point out that he hasn't played Mario Kart in forever because that's the cool thing to do or whatever. Brad even sat in on the MK7 Quick Look, so he at least got some of the game from that.

Curufinwe

How much of their MaKa apathy is a general dislike of racing games with weapons or attacks? I don't recall any of them being fans of Wipeout, Rollcage, F-Zero, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom